community college vs. university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treasure_island

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok you guys, i am really frustrated.

sometimes i think it should have been better if i just went to community college after high school, cuz you'll get easy A's there. my gpa would have been so much higher, and hence my chances of getting into dental school would increase. then again, a university has much more opportunities available than a community college does. also, i don't know how it works with the dat - do people that have gone to jc have higher scores or not, or are they equal? if they have higher scores, then i'd be reaaaally depressed in going to UCI.

Members don't see this ad.

University is better. There is NO substitution. If you get the chance to go to a University then go! Think about it this way. If you can't hack it in University, you shouldn't even think about dental school. Just hit the books HARD. Good dental schools unless you have remarkable DATS and like a 4.0 GPA at Community College, won't consider you. Don't fall into that trap, go to University!

Woodsy is right dude.....if you feel that you have to get to a community college to get A's, how do you think you are gonna do in dental school? Dental school is no piece of cake, and the last thing anyone wants is to get accepted and find out that because they skimmed their way through undergrad they cant cut it in dental school and end up wasting tens of thousands of dollars.......think about it...

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a cut-off point for the # of credit hours you can use to get in to dental schools. I believe it's 60hrs of CC coursework maximum. Anything beyond that maybe required to repeat at a university level institution.

I respectfully/rarely disagree with Avin, but the community college is NOT a bad idea, esp. for people that haven't been to college in a while. Yes, you're probably going to be cut off at 60 hrs, but if your DAT is equal to someone who went to a University the entire time, but your GPA is higher, then who do you think will get in? The higher GPA, because Avin, dental schools don't look at where you went to college unless they are trying to fill a final few spots. SO, I guess CC can hurt you if you're on the bubble, BUT if you're on the bubble at the average CC, you're probably not ready for D school anyway. I know from experience, I went to a CC for 2 years and took classes there in the summer while I was going to big boy college. The adcoms never even brought it up. It didn't hurt that I had a 21 on my DAT, either, but I was just as legit as the other applicants.

Calculus1 said:
I respectfully/rarely disagree with Avin, but the community college is NOT a bad idea, esp. for people that haven't been to college in a while. Yes, you're probably going to be cut off at 60 hrs, but if your DAT is equal to someone who went to a University the entire time, but your GPA is higher, then who do you think will get in? The higher GPA, because Avin, dental schools don't look at where you went to college unless they are trying to fill a final few spots. SO, I guess CC can hurt you if you're on the bubble, BUT if you're on the bubble at the average CC, you're probably not ready for D school anyway. I know from experience, I went to a CC for 2 years and took classes there in the summer while I was going to big boy college. The adcoms never even brought it up. It didn't hurt that I had a 21 on my DAT, either, but I was just as legit as the other applicants.

I agree; go CC. Many SDNers have gotten in, and do well, to both Medical and Dental schools with CC classes.

I don't think either one is necessarily better than another. People go to CC for different reasons. I have taken about 50 units of CC classes when I was in HS, and they were not necessarily easier than the courses that I took at UC. Although the atmosphere of CC seems less competitive, I think that difficulty of the courses really depends on the professors and subjects. Also, I came to see that CC courses are generally helpful in terms of learning because most of them are small-sized classes. Easy A's may get you into dental school but, in the end, A's that you earned with hard work will help you get through dental school and your life. Good luck.

Dentalist head the nail on the head. CC is not necessarily "easier" than a University. I have taken majority of courses at CC with exception to Orgo 1&2 (summer 12 week course). I have to say I have learned much more at the CC, and teachers tend to be more patient (again not necessarily better or worse) at CCs. On the other hand, a class that you had to work your butt off to get an A (or started poorly and had to bring it up) is one that will definitely get you through the tough classes at any professional school or in upper level classes. Orgo was a killer and I was upset to know getting an A was near impossible with this particular professor...but I wasnt upset to get a B...and all the time spent studying for the damn class made me realize how to study more efficiently. Bottom line: 4 year universities look better to adcoms, but going to a CC doesnt hurt unless your chances unless you have subpar grades. I would also like to add that taking Physics, Chemistry, and Bio at the same time two semesters in a row (seeing that I was a post-bac) is much harder than most Freshman/Sophomore schedules. I dont deny that classes are tough at any university you attend, however, most fresh/soph split up their schedules to include all the necessary electives like English, Calc, etc. I know most post-bac programs are set up the way I did this, but I think the course load speaks for itself. Again in the end: it doesnt matter what you do....as long as your GPA is high and you take some or all of the recommended courses that all schools list on their application web page (or require...ie Biochem at UNLV, Tufts, etc) you can get in. Oh yeah and a DAT over 17 is a pretty standard requirement for in-state students, and some privates (like NYU, Boston, Nova, etc....not like Columbia, Penn, etc). If you are an out-of-state applicant you definitely need at least a 19 if not a 20. Scores on the DAT reflect an applicants effort towards studying on their own.....and I must say extra course work in Anatomy, Physiology, Micro, Biochem, etc really help with not only reinforcing Biological concepts but also help for the body organ questions that pop up on the DAT. Its hard to say a CC would better prepare you for the DAT or a 4-year university would better prepare you for the DAT. Lastly, if I had known this before, I would have done what treasure island suggested which is attend CC for 2 years and transfer into 4 year program. Your credits transfer, your GPA is high (more important than school attended), you do same amt of work (4 yrs), and your degree is from a University. I have a friend who is doing this right now (applying to med school, however). She's 19 and with her grades she can apply this year (for 2005) or if not she can reapply her senior year and if she gets in she will be a 20 yr old 1st year med student. I think its more about GPA than where you go to school (all her credits are CC credits and shes transferring into a well known molecular biology dept). Just my side of the story. Admission counselors are full of a lot of hot air (in a lot of cases). Good grades anywhere, and good DAT scores will unlock the doors to a dental school. Anyone who thinks a CC is below them or limits their chances to get in is full of large amounts of fecal matter.

Dentalist/Bullfan. That's very true, I found CC to be more difficult in some cases than the Univ. Esp. labs which were factored into our lecture, rather than seperate(1hr lab + 3 hour lecture) and taught by a TA who gives A's out like there's no tomorrow. I may have given the wrong impression, I'm not recommending CCs, but merely saying that they are a great resource if you're forced to go to one. Even if not forced, it could be a sound economic decision, if you're not concerned with the "college experience." I'm not advocating one OVER the other, I'm just saying if you go there it won't affect your chances of getting accepted as adversely as a lot of people believe.

In terms of CC classes... Someone mentioned a post-bac program where one takes bio, physics and chem together... I did this for the past 2 semesters, taking bio, ochem and physics together from a CC. My classes were/are very hard, and luckily (and some damn hard work) I've been able to maintain my position in top 10% of the class. At least in my CC, pretty much only 10% of the class get A's and many flunk. Currently I'm taking 2 classes from the university, (2 upper div. biology) and my profressors are not half as good as my CC professors. If at any point during taking any CC classes I felt that the quality of education was lacking, believe me, I would have switched to the University in a hard beat. It will be interesting to see how I score on the DAT this summer, but I can tell you that I feel all my professors in my CC prepared me well to do well on the DAT and to tackle dental school. I'm not taking classes at the CC just to get A's, at least that's not where my priorities are. My priorities are to learn, to retain, to kick a.. on the DAT and to tackle dental school.

i gotta get in on this convo.

i've had chem at a major university and more recently at a CC. i've learned and retained more at the CC. why you may ask? first off the class sizes are alot nicer. 34 students in my CC chem lecture compared to 400 at my Big Ten school. my whole opinion on the CC vs University issue is this. Universitys are fun, but aren't designed for everyone to be successful in. people have different ways of learning material. listening to a world famous chem research professor lecture 50 mins 4 times a week isn't the best way for me to learn. i tend to learn better by asking questions and interacting with the teacher. you get this at CC's. at the University level, you never see the Prof (the guy who writes the exams). you have to put all your hopes into a TA who, for the most part, has no idea what the professor is goign to put on the exam. some people can go to lecture, then come home and read the chapter and know a subject. that is the style of student that has success at the University level. it's all about knowing what kind of student you are.

ask yourself this, is the material any different at a CC than from a University? Chem I is Chem I whether it's at DUKE or at LONG BEACH CITY COMMUNITY COLLEGE. the only difference is that at one school, they might require you to write 12 page lab write ups. does this make a student any smarter? in my opinion NO, all it does is create extra uneeded work. THEY TEACH THE SAME MATERIAL NO MATTER WHERE THE COURSE IS BEING TAKEN!!! YOU WILL LEARN THE SAME PRINCIPLES NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO AND THAT'S WHAT MATTERS!!!

had i thought more about what i wanted coming out of high school in 2000, i think i would have went to a CC for a year, then transferred to a University. I could take 50 credits through the fall and spring term. had i done that i would have been in my first year of dental school right now :( . but you learn from your mistakes right?? my sister is graduating form high school this june and plans on doing nursing. through my mistakes she'll have her nursing degree done in 3 years and ready start a career by 22.

CC's can't be knocked, it's not a way out or cutting corners because you cannot dodge the DAT. the DAT is the culmination of your education. the DAT doesn't discriminate against someone who took some CC or University classes. this is one thing i tried to argue with some Marquette officials but they are set on their ways. i don't agree with all you that say you can just study 3 weeks before it and you will get 20's no problem. the DAT is a measuring tool of how much you got out of your post secondary education. after all, if all it takes is 1 month of studying to dominate the DAT.....then why don't all dental applicants take the easiest college majors (communications, communications, communications) and only take the pre-reqs they need to apply for dental school? i like to think future applicants take science majors in order to learn more about the subject and also get that extra preparation for the standardized exams.

I went to a community college, transferred to Berkeley and am starting UCLA School of Dentistry this fall. Anyone who says you cannot get into a good dental school because you went to a CC does not know what they are talking about. Not once was my community college even brought up. Even after attending competitive Berkeley now... I feel I had harder classes at my community college. My professors at the CC had PhD's, so perhaps this is a factor? At Berkeley, I can skip lectures, get notes and get great grades. While at the CC, my classes were nice and small and the professor will notice if I'm not there. The students at Berkeley also live in a bubble... so concerned about grades and school, where people at the CC still got good grades yet also had more well rounded lives. My professors at Berkeley have even made comments that they enjoy the transfer students more because they seem more mature and that transfers come in and chat with them much more.... I know this was true for me because I had no hesitations talking to Professors, since I did it at the CC all the time (even though they were PhD's) anyways, just wanted to throw in my comments... I didn't even read all the other ones first, so sorry if I repeated too much stuff!

and also, in regards to the different levels of difficulty for exams.... when a big-headed professor writes a super difficult exam and most people technically fail, there is a curve anyways. In my opinion, this is not the best way to really apply what you have learned. The exams at the CC on the other hand, still had people failing, yet the exams were much more representative of the material. And i didn't need a huge curve to make me feel better about myself and my grade, rather I would study and do well on my own.

Members don't see this ad :)
you couldn't have summed up my thoughts any better Stephlynn. word for word i feel the same. CC prof's are so much easier to approach. also, my bio I prof i had at a CC had more degrees and is more "academically proven" than then the 2 professors that currently teach bio I at my univeristy. i have every angle covered if an adcom committe brings up my 20 CC credits. better profs teaching, fit my schedule better and allowed me to take more credits in a semester, sped up the process, etc. look at what they are doing in california with pharmacy students, they reserve like 20% of admitted class for CC students. just goes to show classes from a CC are not like taking high school classes. it only seems easier because you get more individual attention and the professor actually cares if you learn/understand the material, thus normally resulting in a good grade.

I think a lot of the reason that the teachers are better at CC, is because they are not concerned with research like the ones at my University. They are there to teach not suck on grant money.

I did most of my pre-reqs at CC's. I feel I got a great education and was accepted into d-school this past cycle. Best of all, it cost me next to nothing!

Some more to add to this thread...its funny because from the dental students I have talked to at schools I am interested in...they say its the one who had to struggle to get grades (although not completely related to CC vs. univeristy debate) who do well in dental school. In professional school its all about effort. Period. You could be a Harvard graduate with a 4.0 and if you dont do the work or put the time in, you could fail out. Those who went to a university arent always a "better" candidate than those who took courses at a local CC. The best candidates are the ones who worked extremely hard to get where they are today (and for that matter will work as hard as needed to get through). Wimmcs I am curious how you have a class rank at a CC. Good luck on your DATs. Going back to this argument....professors at CCs are EXTREMELY APPROACHABLE and that is a priceless asset to have especially if you have an issue, want to get to really get to know the prof (for LOR purposes), or just to know what they are like as a person. At a university as stated previously, research comes first, before you the student. Profs are never there to answer questions and for the most part (case dependent) dont want to be bothered. UMDeeman...I am in your same shoes. I almost wish I knew what I wanted to do before getting a BS. The point is you learn from mistakes. One mistake not to make is to listen to any of the ignorant people who attend universities who claim that going to CC limits your chances. I cant stress that enough. I went to 4 years of college (not just 4 years...I have a degree) at Indiana University and although it was a great education, and I wasnt a pre-health major, going to CC (even for 12-15 credits) is a wise decision. I could go on and on, but I will spare all of you the details. Ditto the thoughts on 12 page write ups, 4 credits for class and lab together making it not "easy" to get an A with just A's on tests, easy A's for (separate) lab grades at universities (my TA at Loyola-Chicago never checked any of our work.....and yes its a broad generalization....but it sounds similar at many schools), and interacting with more mature/people with lives at a CC.

I attended a CC and am now at a university. I would have to say that the university seems to be easier as far as professors go. This is only my opinion, but my experience is that professors at a CC feel like that have something to prove because they're not teaching at a university. At the CC I went to, you only needed a master's or a bachelor's plus hours to teach there. So anyone with a PhD seemed to stack on the work. Being at a university is so much easier now for me. Not saying that everyone will have the same experience, just my 2 cents.

It seems to me that everyone who has not attended CC make the assumption that CCs are the place to make easy A's:laugh:. Wrong. I was very fortunate to attend a CC; I was were I learned how to be a student and prepare me for UC very well. In fact, I have a higher GPA at the UC system then at the CC. Also, interviewer never made one question about CC. If there is any doubt, the DAT will clear it up.

I agree. Just because you go to a CC does not guarantee A's. Whoever said you have to have a 4.0 if you go to a CC is on crack. Furthermore, whoever said that a CC is easier is on crack as well.

I had to take most of my science courses at a CC. I had already receive a BA in Business at a state university. However, OHSU questioned the rigors of my CC classes. They told me that they like to see someone take science classes with a full credit load, and they like to see the classes taken at a university, because they said that CC's are not as rigorous. However I was able to point at the fact that for our Ochem II final we had to take the national OCHEM exam, and our CC scores well above the national average, out performing many prominent Universities, including our state universities. OHSU has now placed me on a waiting list, however I have been fortunate enough to be granted admission to another school. :horns:

I don't know how the CC is like in America but in Canada, all I have to say is good luck. Over here they are second rate schools with well, second rate students. Those who can't hack a real university go to CC. That is how it is UP Here in Canada. Perhaps the schools in America are easier to get into eh Avin? heheh

But believe me, just because you got into dental school doesn't mean that you will succeed in it as compared to a University undergrad. If not, why are there Universities and CC's and University is much harder to get into?

CC you can get in with a GED...

Say what you will, because I don't know how it is down in the US. All I know is that up in Canada, if you go to a CC you have no real future in academics.

Woodsy, you're right, you don't know anything about American CCs. Plus, what an ignorant statement,

"But believe me, just because you got into dental school doesn't mean that you will succeed in it as compared to a University undergrad. "-Woodsy

That's precisely what getting in to dental school means, when they accept you, they feel that you can accomplish the task. If going to a CC was so bad, why didn't they(adcoms) ask me about it? I would also like to know how many pure university grads I beat out because their GPA AND DAT were lower than mine.

Calculus1 said:
Woodsy, you're right, you don't know anything about American CCs. Plus, what an ignorant statement,

"But believe me, just because you got into dental school doesn't mean that you will succeed in it as compared to a University undergrad. "-Woodsy

That's precisely what getting in to dental school means, when they accept you, they feel that you can accomplish the task. If going to a CC was so bad, why didn't they(adcoms) ask me about it? I would also like to know how many pure university grads I beat out because their GPA AND DAT were lower than mine.

.......Amen.......

Bullfan16 said:
Wimmcs I am curious how you have a class rank at a CC. Good luck on your DATs. .

Thanks bullfan I hope I do well this summer.

The way I found out about my rank is through my own personal research. It's not like the professors told the class where we stood in terms of grades. What I did is I asked my professors where I was in terms of the class avg. So I knew exactly my grades and they showed me where I was in comparison to the class (of course without showing names) and I was usually in the top 5 out of 45-50 students in the classroom, and I just didn't see many A's in those rosters.. only a handful. That's how I can even make a guestimate comparison. Not using very reliable data, but at least in my mind I knew I was at least in the top 10% in my class at most of my classes.

Not very scientific right? :oops:

Woodsy said:
if you go to a CC you have no real future in academics.

I don't think anyone exclusively goes to a CC for all their training. I believe people may start out there due to many reasons.....money being a major contributor. In my case, i'm simply suppliementing my course load with a few CC classes. I have 22 credits this semester, 15 at my university and 7 at a CC. the only reason I took the CC classes is because i'll get done quicker rather then having to wait to take certain classes later.

woodsy you are truly an arrogant person and there's nothing wrong with that. but your points against CC matriculation exemplify your ignorance. just because you are from Canada :rolleyes: doesn't mean you are any smarter then someone with a US education. sure there are some kids at CC's that can't hack a university curricululm, but those students are training to be med techs, dental hygenists, etc. i'll go back to a fact I posted on another thread. there obviously must be some confidence in the American CC system if California reserves a certain percentage of it's seats (20% i think) for students in the CC system.

Go to CC, for all the talk that schools care about EC's, personal statement and letters of recommendation, the bottom line is the numbers. A person who has a 3.9 GPA even with 2 years of CC is still better than the 3.8 from 4 years of university. It's always about the numbers. CC will help you get straight A's because its easier. The fear that colleagues will frown upon you with CC credits is bunk. The only time adcoms really look at your school is if its an Ivy Leagure or an impressive school with a name. Other than that, it doesn't matter where you go to school.

hey UMdeeman if you read carefully, I believe I said "that up in Canada, if you go to a CC you have no real future in academics" don't cut and paste and call me ignorant because that is the truth. You know jack all about the Canadian school system yet you call me ignorant for knowing jack all about the American school system. That's hypocrisy at its best. And Calculus, hey buddy, just because the adcoms feel you can hack it in dental school don't mean that you would do better in dental school than a University undergrad. Whatever GPA and DAT you get when you get in means crap in dental school. I know one thing is that in University I got formal education in problem based learning, many research opporunities, and a chance to develop my skill sets as a result of such experiences while being evaluated by those in the health profession who also teach me how to improve. You might get grades easier in CC but I am pretty sure that CC does not offer the important extracurricular training one should have. But it's ok, my remarks are quite blunt and offensive to those who have taken courses at CC, so I understand that you are all trying to nail me and get all defensive.

Woodsy--you really dont know what you are talking about. Just because a person goes to CC does not make them less knowledgeable than a person who went to a 4 year university. Again, I want to reiterate that I went to Indiana University and got a degree in business....and went back to CC to do the pre-reqs starting the summer after I graduated. In the end, I know we all have said this, but you just do not get it....it doesnt matter where you go as long as you take the required "pre-reqs" and do well. CC success in most of the science pre-reqs is (for the most part) indicative of success in the same class at a university. Please explain or show me proof of those who have failed in dental (or any professional school for that matter) who went to a CC (I have never heard that CC students struggle more or less than university students)....you make a lot of statements but cant really back them up with proof. As you can see here there are more than a few of us who are having success in the application cycle and will continue to thrive at whatever school we attend. I should have realized how cocky you were with your Columbia vs. Toronto quote.....I mean seriously who are you dude? Lastly, in dental school grades are based on effort, not where you went to school, your extracurricular activities, or research opportunities. As I have stated previously, there are many cases of those students who went to "premiere" Universities and failed out just as quickly as those who went to Average University or CC. Were you went to school does not matter its all about effort. Period.

did I upset you bullfan? Oh i'm sorry...cry me a river...If I don't know what I'm talking about you could just simply ignore...but you chose to reply...cocky, eheh I take that as a compliment. It's one thing to be cocky it's another to be able to back it up. Hey buddy bring it. The bottom line is that you still went to a real university. So what if you got your prereqs...you still have a degree from a real university. YOu can't say anything. NOw who went to ONLY a CC and got into dental school? There's not as many. So why don't you just continue chillin in Indiana, while I'll deal with my own in TOronto or New York..

Cockiness is great, it makes it more interesting and fun...pisses people off, gives me a reason to come here.

Woodsy said:
NOw who went to ONLY a CC and got into dental school?

you are funny woodsy. a man with your wicked canadian intelligence knows that the situation you described just isn't possible. CC's are 2 year schools for some that leads to a certificate in some skill OR, in the case of alot of pre-professionals, a stepping stone to the University level then professional school(pharmacy, dental, medical, PT, etc).

Woodsy said:
You know jack all about the Canadian school system yet you call me ignorant for knowing jack all about the American school system. That's hypocrisy at its best.

you are guilty of the exact same alleged hypocrisy. what do you know about the AMERICAN CC system you crazy canuck?

Woodsy said:
Whatever GPA and DAT you get when you get in means crap in dental school.

so why does where you learned chemistry or physics or any other pre-req matter? the material doesn't change. molecular bonding is the same at CC's as it is at a University. Gravity is still 9.8 m/s2 at a CC and University. no change.

Woodsy said:
I know one thing is that in University I got formal education in problem based learning, many research opporunities, and a chance to develop my skill sets as a result of such experiences while being evaluated by those in the health profession who also teach me how to improve.

wow, good for you. i'm glad that writing 5 page lab write ups for labs that only require 1 have given you confidence. all i can say is i hope you do well in dental school. imagine what would happen to your self confidence or self esteem if a student who took his/her pre-reqs at a CC would happen to finish ahead of you. oh well. fun arguement, it's truly enjoyable engaging in conversations where we try to tell someone that their opinion is right or wrong. just one more thing......

Woodsy said:
don't cut and paste

oops............ :rolleyes: .

I went two years to a CC. Maintained a 3.9 GPA. Transferred to a state University on an academic scholarship. Also maintained a 3.9 GPA. Did research with a well known professor, wrote a thesis, etc.....

If I had it to do all over, I would do it the same way. I LOVED my community college experience.

I was accepted to dental school, and will be starting in the fall. I don't know how it is in other states or countries, but down here in Texas, I don't think the dental schools care to much. They didn't ask me a thing about it in my interviews.

I transferred from a community college (Nassau CC) that was considered by many people in my community to be the 13th grade of high school, to an Ivy League school (Cornell) known for being so hard that we have a record number of students commit suicicde. I can say that many classes at Cornell are much harder than CC classes, that does not mean all of them are though. Electron Microscopy at my CC was 10X harder than a similar class I took at Cornell. I have not yet been accepted to a dental school, so I can't say for certain how much my CC credentials will hurt me and how much my 4year will help me. It is also necessary to point out that my decision to go to a CC was made for financial considerations. Something that many 4year people often forget exist. We all don't have the money to go to a 4year school immediately, so we make with what we can. Call me old fashioned, but I believed that there is not substitute for hard work. At whatever school you go, work hard, do well on the DAT, write a good essay, and you will be fine.

And to all of you who say that it is impossible to get into dental school with CC credentials, shut up. Stop trying to make yourself feel better by putting someone else down. That would be a very unbecoming trait in a dentist.

edkNARF said:
I transferred from a community college (Nassau CC) that was considered by many people in my community to be the 13th grade of high school, to an Ivy League school (Cornell) known for being so hard that we have a record number of students commit suicicde. I can say that many classes at Cornell are much harder than CC classes, that does not mean all of them are though. Electron Microscopy at my CC was 10X harder than a similar class I took at Cornell. I have not yet been accepted to a dental school, so I can't say for certain how much my CC credentials will hurt me and how much my 4year will help me. It is also necessary to point out that my decision to go to a CC was made for financial considerations. Something that many 4year people often forget exist. We all don't have the money to go to a 4year school immediately, so we make with what we can. Call me old fashioned, but I believed that there is not substitute for hard work. At whatever school you go, work hard, do well on the DAT, write a good essay, and you will be fine.

And to all of you who say that it is impossible to get into dental school with CC credentials, shut up. Stop trying to make yourself feel better by putting someone else down. That would be a very unbecoming trait in a dentist.

Same here, I went to CC because my parents didn't want to pay for my college(frankly, I didn't deserve it after my crappy showing in high school). EdKnarf, I wouldn't worry about your CC status, as long as your DAT and GPA is within the realm of reason(equal if not better than other applicants), you should have no trouble getting in anywhere. I think a lot of kids that go four years to a university don't want to hear that they could have saved a ton of money. Also, university advisors have a way of really bashing CCs, this forces people to shy away from even taking summer classes because they're worried that it won't help they're GPA(which is what the advisors at my school will tell you). A lot, if not all, is simply not true. EdKnarf, you're good to go.

Wow! This is a great thead!!! It's wonderful to hear so many others praise thier CC experience! I am one of the biggest proponents for CC vs University learning. I grab any and every opportunity that I am given to tell people about my CC experience and the benifits of attending. Reading all these posts makes me really happy because CC for me was a real second chance and an incredible growing experience. My quick story: In my highschool class I graduated 284th out of 312 students 1.91 gpa. I didn't go to college until I was 24. I spent 4 yrs (146units) all LD sciences at CC before I was able to transfer with a 3.3 gpa to UCSD. At UCSD (2 yrs) I maintained > 3.6 gpa. More reciently I took the DAT and applied to D.school and was accepted to UCSF in January. The moral of the story...... CC was what made all this possible for me. If not given the opportunity I would still be banging nails for a living.

I definatly agree with what most everyone has said about CC who also has had great experiences. My CC science classes were BRUTAL to say the least! My CC is one (if not THE) main bay area feeder school to UC Berkeley. To keep up Berkeley's high regard for transfer students the CC admin/department boards felt it was in everyones best interests to keep the science class curriculums rigorous and well above UCB minimal expectations (I know this because my good friend is a prof and head of the Chem dept). What this equated to was a BRUTAL chem, Physics and Bio series!!! All my friends who transferred to UCB have said in retrospect that thier CC science courses were more rigorous, more difficult and more was expected from them than UCB. I agree. Once I was down in UCSD I was surprised the difference in course difficulty from CC to UC. I smoked most of my science classes (usually in the top 5 out of 300 students). And, frankly, I learned more and had a better opportunity to master the material in CC.

Community college Rocks! I wouldn't do it different even if I could go back in time. Cheers all!

Wow, another great post :thumbup:

Keep 'um coming. I am tired of people making blanket statements about community colleges and how they "hurt" your chances of getting in. If enough people post their success stories, then maybe this misconception will be banished once and for all.

I am not saying community colleges "help" you get into dental school (or any professional school), but there are many more factors considered than just the fact that someone attended a community college. In my opinion, Adcoms look at the applicant as a whole, and not just the fact that they spent a few years at a junior college. Everyone has their own unique life story, which is why there are interviews and essays. Thats what makes every applicant unique!!

Just my opinion

UMDeeman, I was never really a hypocrit, because I admitted to not knowing jack about the American CC's but I was right in the sense that you still need a regular University degree. Now it just makes more sense to me if you're gonna go to a regular University why not just do the work you need to do there? I mean sure CC is easier, but well.....

I can talk crap all day buddy. And none of you can touch me. When and if I go to the USA, I'd still be better off than you. Even though I am a crazy canuck. hehe..

stephlynn said:
awww, I think poor Woodsy has a small "member" because he is obviously trying to compensate with endless and useless argument.

I vote you go to Toronto... stay in Canada

That's why both your mom and your girlfriend come to me at night because neither you or your father can satisfy them. They need real size. If I got a penny for everytime, a girl says to you "Is It in yet?" I'd be rich..then again, I doubt you get laid that often...hmmm damn, I wouldn't be rich after all.

Oh! I get it..you're a transsexual...man...so i guess you're a gay man who had a sex change to become a woman so that you won't feel gay sleeping with a man..Just one question do you pee standing up or sitting down?

Woodsy said:
Oh! I get it..you're a transsexual...man...so i guess you're a gay man who had a sex change to become a woman so that you won't feel gay sleeping with a man..Just one question do you pee standing up or sitting down?

are you kidding me with this crap? I got so bored reading it, I'm surprised I'm still awake to reply. Just admit that you made a mistake... people who went to only a university make mistakes also.

hehehehehhe...yeah i would normally shut up after the first initial message at me and admit i made a mistake, but it is more fun to not admit it and prolong my a-hole character on this forum. i have to stay in character you know, to live up to my title..aka Arrogant Bastard.

But off the record, Stephlynn, sorry for getting a good laugh at your expense. And to the others as well.. I'm sure Community college is great, one thing is true though, I don't know enough about it and thank you for clearing up the misunderstood stereotype folks...

Now back into character...

Community College SUCKS, real universities are where it is at. I don't care if all of you gang up on me, just bring it you clowns! Just admit that you can't hack it and made it in dental school by flukes you lazy b____ds!

NVDental said:
I had to take most of my science courses at a CC. I had already receive a BA in Business at a state university. However, OHSU questioned the rigors of my CC classes. They told me that they like to see someone take science classes with a full credit load, and they like to see the classes taken at a university, because they said that CC's are not as rigorous. However I was able to point at the fact that for our Ochem II final we had to take the national OCHEM exam, and our CC scores well above the national average, out performing many prominent Universities, including our state universities. OHSU has now placed me on a waiting list, however I have been fortunate enough to be granted admission to another school. :horns:

I appreciate your comment. I am in the exact same situation.... took most.. well ALL my pre-reqs from a CC and have a BS in business from a state university. I'm doing just what you mentioned... not because someone told me, but because it made sense. I'm taking a full load of science classes and also taking upper division "university" science classes as well to beef up my application. Your comment only substantiated my assumption that some dental schools would have a concern with taking all the pre-reqs from a CC. Also, like in your situation, I will be taking my OChem II final which is the national OChem exam as well. I hope I do well. In terms or rigorous course work I have to admit some CC's have very lax classes, so it's hard to judge. I know all the science classes that I've taken at my CC were very rigorous and just as hard as if I was taking them from a University. For me, having a family and 3 children made it almost financially impossible to take all my coursework from a university. In my situation, it was all financials... not lack of effort or trying to "cut corners" in taking "easy" CC classes.

I agree with most of the comments here. I am currently taking classes at both at a CC and ASU and the education I get at CC is far better. My professors at ASU aren't teachers - they lecture and test - they don't teach! There is a huge difference between a lecturer and a teacher. Out of all my classes at ASU, I have had one teacher that actually teaches.

On the other hand my CC teachers actually teach and are concerned with your progress. I have a few friends who are taking OChem at a CC and I am taking it at ASU and their class is much much more difficult than mine when we compare our tests. Also all of my friends that got accepted this last cycle had CC classes and had no problems getting into Dschool. I really don't think it is an issue.