1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Community College

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MeghanMD, May 18, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. MeghanMD

MeghanMD 2+ Year Member

Apr 29, 2014
    Hi all I'm graduating from a great private college with a major in marketing and minor in biology and psychology. I would like to do an MD/MBA program in the future. I was very fortunate to get into this school and have parents who could pay for it without loans or scholarships. I need to take med school pre-reqs after I graduate and I was wondering if I could take them at a community college because I just don't want to make my parents pay for another year of undergrad at my school and there is no way I could afford it myself.

They said if I got into med school we could figure out something to pay but would community college be okay- especially after an undergrad degree from a great school?

Sorry for all the questions in the past few days, I guess I have a lot to learn

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Boolean

Boolean

Oct 14, 2013
    Quite a few top tiers do not accept community college credits. Check with the schools you find of interest. In general, you should do your pre-reqs at a 4yr university.

4. Theafoni

Theafoni True Blue 2+ Year Member

Dec 16, 2013
    What courses are you looking to take? It should be fine really

5. BamaNicole

BamaNicole MS 4 2+ Year Member

Nov 12, 2012
    AZ
    9 times out of 10....if you take your pre-reqs at a community college after graduating from a four year university you run the risk of the rigor of your classes being questioned.

You went to a four year....you're expected to make As in any class you take at a community college after completing your education at that four year. Some schools may not care, however, I've been told that after you go to a four year then you should do your pre-reqs at a four year as well.

6. caffeinemia

caffeinemia 2+ Year Member

Mar 19, 2014
    New York, NY
    You could consider working for a few years to save up some money and then completing a post-bac. I mean, earning your way through school is not unheard of. Furthermore, med school applicants often benefit from a few years off to gain some perspective, maturity, extracurriculars.

7. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

You can; you're a non-trad now. Keep in mind that not all schools accept credits from CCs. MSAR Online is your friend.