Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wiesal

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What classes should I take during my two years at community college?

Can I take statistics and calculus in community college, or should I hold off until a 4-year university?

Should I take as least prerequisites as possible at community college, or should I not worry about it and take upper-level science courses at a 4-year?

Any clearance on this?

Members don't see this ad.

take least possible pre-reqs, yes. a few won't hurt your application

if you take a year of general biology, you should take 1 or 2 upper division bio's your junior year after you transfer. it also looks like you will be forced to take a year of general chemistry, seeing as you are planning on spending 2 years at CC. Take orgo at your 4 year

and I would not take both stats and calc at CC; what you could do is take calc I at CC, and then maybe try for calc II at your 4 year to back it up.

calc 2 is pretty difficult tho (frankly I thought it was harder than calc III)

Reactions: 1 users
take least possible pre-reqs, yes. a few won't hurt your application

if you take a year of general biology, you should take 1 or 2 upper division bio's your junior year after you transfer. it also looks like you will be forced to take a year of general chemistry, seeing as you are planning on spending 2 years at CC. Take orgo at your 4 year

and I would not take both stats and calc at CC; what you could do is take calc I at CC, and then maybe try for calc II at your 4 year to back it up.

calc 2 is pretty difficult tho (frankly I thought it was harder than calc III)
Thanks for the reply. Do you know how I could get research experience at CC? I was thinking about applying for an NIH internship during the summer, but that's not a sure deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. Do you know how I could get research experience at CC? I was thinking about applying for an NIH internship during the summer, but that's not a sure deal.

Research opportunities are totally there at a CC. Consult with the dept of sciences for opportunities. There are a growing number of faculty members committing their research on cc grounds.

Reactions: 1 users
If there is a 4 year college nearby, especially one you're interested in transferring to, you can look into research labs there and contact professors about working in their labs even as a non-student. I'd recommend looking into SMDEP if you're interested in the NIH internship, especially if you're URM. It's a summer program open to freshman and sophomore pre-meds at any university, and applications open in November.

Reactions: 1 user
Research opportunities are totally there at a CC. Consult with the dept of sciences for opportunities. There are a growing number of faculty members committing their research on cc grounds.
Thanks so much! I had no idea this was an opportunity available at CC.
If there is a 4 year college nearby, especially one you're interested in transferring to, you can look into research labs there and contact professors about working in their labs even as a non-student. I'd recommend looking into SMDEP if you're interested in the NIH internship, especially if you're URM. It's a summer program open to freshman and sophomore pre-meds at any university, and applications open in November.
I'll be sure to look into SMDEP; it looks great. Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user