community college??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrystalLamae

I AM going to be a Dr!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may be a stupid questions.. but do schools frown on taking some prereqs at a community college??

Members don't see this ad.

i have a friend who took like one year at a community college and she's already been accepted this year. I've heard some schools really frown upon it, but i have no idea.

Im at a CC right now. I live in Ontario and all the medical schools require that the pre-reqs be done at a accredited university.

Members don't see this ad :)
a few (1-2) is ok, but they frown upon it cause it looks bad. they want 4-yr univ classes only. but if its for financial reasons then im sure it will be ok

I took a CC physics class over the summer and it the material was more in depth and the tests where harder than at Arizona. Then ive seen the physics tests at Georgia Tech and and it makes the CC physics class look like a Dr. Zeus book and U of A's like a coloring book.

I think it's okay to go to community college for the first two years, especially if you're not from a wealthy family... I think what's really looked down upon is being at a four year university and choosing to take your required pre-med courses at the community college instead...

It depends on the community college. There are a few out there that are viewed just as highly as four year schools.. in which case, I'd say it'd definately be acceptable. However there are some that aren't as accredited, and might be frowned upon. I'd say it really depends on the school. But in general it's probably fine, especially if it's only a few courses.

Some schools like Boston University won't accept courses from a CC or JC. Also, it's just one more thing to have to worry about explaining, so I would avoid them if I could.

I took classes at CC during high school which I had to repeat during my 4 year, and I think some of the CC classes were actually harder. It sucks that schools don't like CC's since for poor mofos like myself that's all I had access to. That's life though.