Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buffy16938

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is already posted, I searched and could not find much. I'm currently at a 4-year University working on my pre-reqs. The bad part is that the two Organic teachers here are awful, last semester over 300 people dropped. I want to learn Organic and do well in the class, I'm planning on taking Org 1 and Org 2 at the local Community college. My university won't transfer them over, is this going to be a big problem? I'm planning on working hard to get A's. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Buffy16938 said:
I'm sorry if this is already posted, I searched and could not find much. I'm currently at a 4-year University working on my pre-reqs. The bad part is that the two Organic teachers here are awful, last semester over 300 people dropped. I want to learn Organic and do well in the class, I'm planning on taking Org 1 and Org 2 at the local Community college. My university won't transfer them over, is this going to be a big problem? I'm planning on working hard to get A's. Thank you.

I went to a community college for two years, but that was before I was interested in dentistry. I took ALL of my prereqs at my university though. Most schools emphasize taking the prerequisites at a 4-year college. Is there another university close to where you live? If so, I'd take it there. If not, I guess you could call the dental schools you are interested in and explain to them your situation and get their advice.

DMD to be is right. Most of the schools emphasize to take the courses at 4-year University instead of community college unless you don't want to apply to that school such as BU, Tufts. (These are the 2 schools that i know so far do not recognize the cc coursework). Hope this helps! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Buffy16938 said:

Organic at most 4 year schools is a tough course, with a lot of people dropping. You just need to work very hard, I still remember nights where I couldn't sleep and had reactions in my head just waiting to take the test...so glad it is over.

Buffy16938 said:

300 people dropped??? How many people are in each class? Talk about weed out class. :eek:

tinman831 said:
300 people dropped??? How many people are in each class? Talk about weed out class. :eek:

I remember my class had about 700-800 ppl....
but I still learned a lot..... Thanks to the awesome professor that taught Orgo.

there were around 450 people total. The professor that teaches is a real jerk. He talks about how if you don't get this grade, you need to rethink what you are doing with your life. I had him last spring and dropped, I really just don't want a bad grade. I am willing to put in the time and effort, I just wish the teacher teaching wasn't a jerk.

Even the schools that do allow community college courses only allow at most two years. That being said, if the only courses you are taking at the community college are the legendary backbreakers, which you withdrew from at the four year school, you'll probably end up in a position where you'll have to explain what your situation was during the interview. I'm inclined to suggest you tough it out at the four-year school.

You may also want to check www.ratemyprofessor.com to check out any professor you're your going to have. Full-time professors at community college can be really stingy with grades.

Hey Buffy, one of my fellow gen chem II students was going to take ochem I and II at a community college. She was saying that she called the local dental school and they said it had to be upper division ochem. At the CC it is a 200 level and at the 4 year it is 300...

I know that most (if not all) d schools recommend taking pre-reqs at a 4 year. However, I haven't had the chance to take them all, so that is why I must do well on the "great equalizer"...DAT.

I would just call around to the different schools to get a definitive...Good luck!

I think my class was over 1300 because it was split into 2 sections. I would try and find another 4 year school to take it at. Use www.ratemyprofessor.com it saved me from getting some bad professors.

dj7DDS said:
DMD to be is right. Most of the schools emphasize to take the courses at 4-year University instead of community college unless you don't want to apply to that school such as BU, Tufts. (These are the 2 schools that i know so far do not recognize the cc coursework). Hope this helps! :)
Where did you read that about BU? There doesn't seem to be anything on their website...

Tufts will interview you, and consider you with cc coursework. However, if they select you they will ask you to complete a higher level of the courses you took at the cc at a 4 year university or college.

armorshell said:
Where did you read that about BU? There doesn't seem to be anything on their website...

This is what she replied me:
"Thank you for your interest in Boston University. All prerequisites should be taken at a four year school. Graduate work will make you much more competitive.

Liane M. Weber
Admissions Coordinator
Office of Admissions
& Student Services
Boston University School of Dental Medicine
100 E. Newton St., G-305
Boston, MA 02118
[email protected]
tel. 617.638.8467
fax. 617.638.4798

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm trying to bring up my GPA from a really bad semester (bad grades, depression, etc..). I think I will call around and see what the schools have to say.

RockstarDMD said:
Tufts will interview you, and consider you with cc coursework. However, if they select you they will ask you to complete a higher level of the courses you took at the cc at a 4 year university or college.

This is exactly what happened to me. I'm taking Gen Chem 1 &2 rightnow...

I took all my prereq at a CC, all my bio, G Chem, and O Chem and Physics. I had already gradated and didn't want to pay the Grad price for those classes. I think along as you do well you should be OK. I got As in all of them excepts 1 bio class. I also TA for the bio and chem classes too. Hopefully I'll get in!

714guy said:
I took all my prereq at a CC, all my bio, G Chem, and O Chem and Physics. I had already gradated and didn't want to pay the Grad price for those classes. I think along as you do well you should be OK. I got As in all of them excepts 1 bio class. I also TA for the bio and chem classes too. Hopefully I'll get in!

My situation is very similar to yours. I took all my classes at a CC because I was working full-time and the closest/cheapest school happened to be a CC. (I got all As and scored well on the DAT. It never came up once in my interview about my CC classes.)

dj7DDS said:
This is what she replied me:
"Thank you for your interest in Boston University. All prerequisites should be taken at a four year school. Graduate work will make you much more competitive.

Liane M. Weber
Admissions Coordinator
Office of Admissions
& Student Services
Boston University School of Dental Medicine
100 E. Newton St., G-305
Boston, MA 02118
[email protected]
tel. 617.638.8467
fax. 617.638.4798
That's kind of crappy that they wouldn't mention it on the website. I think I'll give 'em a call tommorow just to be sure...

I think it's really important to the schools that you have ample upper level science classes, regardless of where you get your prereqs.

armorshell said:
That's kind of crappy that they wouldn't mention it on the website. I think I'll give 'em a call tommorow just to be sure...
According to Liane everything should be taken at a 4 year, but she told me to apply anyway... :confused:

She also asked me if I had lots of upper level science though...so take that however you want. I think I'm actually more confused now :laugh:

on the sites i have seen it is indicated that you can only take X# of cc course hours but doesn't specify that you have to take a certain course(s) at a 4 year university.

i would also suggest that you call the schools you are interested in and run it by them, just ask if there will be any problem with you taking orgo at a cc

good luck - its a horror of a course even under the best of circumstances!!

laelialudisia said:
on the sites i have seen it is indicated that you can only take X# of cc course hours but doesn't specify that you have to take a certain course(s) at a 4 year university.

i would also suggest that you call the schools you are interested in and run it by them, just ask if there will be any problem with you taking orgo at a cc

good luck - its a horror of a course even under the best of circumstances!!
So i called up a pile of schools today, and the summation of their responses were "It depends." :(

I guess my only option is apply, and if things go south, I might be retaking courses for a year. Courses I TA labs for :laugh:

What is crazy is I started at a CC, but then when I transfered to a 4-year, my grades went UP. So I wouldnt say my CC was easy. But over prepared me for for 4-year university.

PChemGrad said:
What is crazy is I started at a CC, but then when I transfered to a 4-year, my grades went UP. So I wouldnt say my CC was easy. But over prepared me for for 4-year university.
Same thing with me, but for a different reason ;)

Also, lots of the schools I talked to said that if that's the case it's a VERY good thing. It proves that you weren't just going to community college bc it's easier, or that you can't handle upper level stuff...

I hate to burst anybody's bubble...

And I know people think CC's are great and all for those who didn't have the money etc. I am very tempted to agree, but when a dental school, moreso, more than one dental school, specifically state in their application procedures that they don't look highly on students that have taken CC courses or more than 1/4 of their courses at a CC then that should be your incentive right there to spend the bucks and get your education elsewhere.

The fact remains that education is becoming cheaper and cheaper and more expensive and more expensive every year. You all know this by receiving the spam emails about getting this degree or that degree online without barely having to spend a dime.

I will spare you the details I heard from my state school dean of admissions, but if you want to get into dental school...please navigate your way around the CC's. I know this from experience.

KOM said:
I hate to burst anybody's bubble...
*words*
It's so sad that I'm starting to agree with you...I'm gearing up to possibly re-do all my pre-reqs in a year at my 4 year, shotgun style. I mean, it's a nuisance, but at least it will be ridiculously easy.

Of course I need to talk to some dental schools about that first...

armorshell said:
It's so sad that I'm starting to agree with you...I'm gearing up to possibly re-do all my pre-reqs in a year at my 4 year, shotgun style. I mean, it's a nuisance, but at least it will be ridiculously easy.

Of course I need to talk to some dental schools about that first...

Your DAT scores show you can handle a diverse amount of material and score exceptionally well so be thankful for that. Yeah, if I were you I wouldn't consider re-taking any courses until you talk with representatives from some different schools. Just be selective and you'll do just fine.

KOM said:
Your DAT scores show you can handle a diverse amount of material and score exceptionally well so be thankful for that. Yeah, if I were you I wouldn't consider re-taking any courses until you talk with representatives from some different schools. Just be selective and you'll do just fine.
I hope the people reviewing my app think like you do KOM :D

armorshell said:
I hope the people reviewing my app think like you do KOM :D

Listen people, I have talked to quite a few doctors and dentists who took their prerequisites at a cc and got into a professional school. If you just use common sense and think about it, you would know the DAT and MCAT is the true equalizer test that reflects your education. With that being said, G.PA.'s and DAT scores don't get you into the school; they only get you the interview. Your personality and the way you present yourself is what gets you your acceptance. Nobody wants a quack doctor who can't communicate and make his or her patients feel relaxed. Think about this, 99.9% of the people who go see the dentist are nervous. They don't feel relaxed at all. You have to make the interviewer feel relaxed and at ease. That's how you get into dental school. The G.P.A. and DAT scores only get you the interview. When you go to your interview, you want your interviewer to say to himself this is the person I want my mother to go to when she needs dental work. The only school you will get into without an interview is a school where you basically buy your D.D.S. degree like NYUCD.

If anybody else feels different about my opinion, please speak up.

armorshell said:
Well then I guess I hope my stats are good enough to get me an interview ;)

Also realize, if someone's stats are good enough they will get accepted despite a complete lack of social skills...

Get accepted where? NYUCD? Communication skills are of the utmost importance. Dentistry is a people profession. If your dentist is a bookwork with no life, what are you two going to talk about? How to find a derivative? I don't think so. Anymore, though, it's not what you know, it's who you know. So if your uncle is the dean of the school, I would say you have a pretty good chance at getting in no matter what your stats.

dboy said:
Get accepted where? NYUCD? Communication skills are of the utmost importance. Dentistry is a people profession. If your dentist is a bookwork with no life, what are you two going to talk about? How to find a derivative? I don't think so. Anymore, though, it's not what you know, it's who you know. So if your uncle is the dean of the school, I would say you have a pretty good chance at getting in no matter what your stats.
The only specific example I know about is UW, because my personal dentist got to serve on the admissions committee there for a while when he was in school. I'm sure it's like that at other schools though.

And what's your problem with NYU man? You seem to rag on the school pretty hard...

armorshell said:
The only specific example I know about is UW, because my personal dentist got to serve on the admissions committee there for a while when he was in school. I'm sure it's like that at other schools though.

And what's your problem with NYU man? You seem to rag on the school pretty hard...

I don't have a problem with NYU. I'm just saying how it is. If I don't get into my state school (FL), I will probably go there. I personally think the interview is a waste of time and money. Anybody can put on a show for 30 minutes and tell the committee what they want to hear. The thing about interviews, though, is you don't know what the committee is looking for or what kind of mood they are in. The point I was trying to make was dental schools are looking for well rounded people. Some schools could care less about well rounded people. NYU is not a bad school, but they only care about getting their money. I could care less what most of these state schools think about well rounded people. I know who I am, and that's all that matters. I'm not going to go take on all these leadership roles and do all these extracurriculars to show a committee that I am well rounded. I have a life outside of school. I like to go on dates with hot girls, play pool, chill with my friends, and live life a little. If my stats and DAT scores are not good enough to get into my state school, then off to NYU I go. I will shadow a 100+ hours and do some volunteer work, but I'm not going to be someone I'm not just so I can get into a state school.

dboy said:
Listen people, I have talked to quite a few doctors and dentists who took their prerequisites at a cc and got into a professional school. If you just use common sense and think about it, you would know the DAT and MCAT is the true equalizer test that reflects your education. With that being said, G.PA.'s and DAT scores don't get you into the school; they only get you the interview. Your personality and the way you present yourself is what gets you your acceptance. Nobody wants a quack doctor who can't communicate and make his or her patients feel relaxed. Think about this, 99.9% of the people who go see the dentist are nervous. They don't feel relaxed at all. You have to make the interviewer feel relaxed and at ease. That's how you get into dental school. The G.P.A. and DAT scores only get you the interview. When you go to your interview, you want your interviewer to say to himself this is the person I want my mother to go to when she needs dental work. The only school you will get into without an interview is a school where you basically buy your D.D.S. degree like NYUCD.

If anybody else feels different about my opinion, please speak up.

I completely agree about the interview. :thumbup: I'm sure you have spoken with a few doc's that have gained entrance into professional schools in the past that have participated in CC's and I don't doubt that more will do the same in the future. However, things are changing fast. With more and more alternatives out there for education and the increasing pool of applicants, professional programs are becoming more stringent in their requirements. CC's appear to be one of those requirements that dental schools are cracking down on. That's just a fact at a few dental schools that I know of, but I would venture to say that more and more dental schools will follow their lead in the upcoming future. Why no love to NYU?

I agree with you. But like I said earlier, anymore it's not what you know but who you know that gets you your acceptance. I have much love for NYU. There's a good chance I'll be going there. I have much love for everyone on this site who is a pre-dent and wish them the best of luck.

I have a question, and I would like to see how other people feel about it.
Is it just me or do the students with 3.0-3.35 GPA range seem like the smartest, coolest people you know at school? All my friends who have a 3.5 and higher are the most arrogant people I know. I only know one person who isn't like that. I have a 3.6, and I'm not afriad to admit that I busted my ass in calc 1 just to make a B. I see a lot of students at my school who say they never study or do homework and have a 4.0 GPA. I think those people are full of ****ing ****! Seriously, there not fooling me.

RockstarDMD said:

Does this mean that if I took gen chem at a C.C. and Ochem. at a 4-year I am good to go for Tufts? I didn't apply there because I took gen chem at a C.C. and I figured that would disqualify me. Boston is a nice town and I wouldn't mind hangin out there for 4-years. Ochem is a higher level in the chemistry sequence so it takes care of that requirement?

I think I'll contact Tufts but please post here if you know the answer. Thanks.

Yellow Snow said:
Does this mean that if I took gen chem at a C.C. and Ochem. at a 4-year I am good to go for Tufts? I didn't apply there because I took gen chem at a C.C. and I figured that would disqualify me. Boston is a nice town and I wouldn't mind hangin out there for 4-years. Ochem is a higher level in the chemistry sequence so it takes care of that requirement?

I think I'll contact Tufts but please post here if you know the answer. Thanks.

Your best bet would be to contact the admissions office and check with them. I took only one prerequisite course at a CC and Tufts gave me credit for it. But during my interview, a member of the admissions staff had a pretty lengthy discussion with another interviewer about his CC credits. It seems like its more on a case by case basis. The only way to know for sure is to ask. :luck:

tinman831 said:
Your best bet would be to contact the admissions office and check with them. I took only one prerequisite course at a CC and Tufts gave me credit for it. But during my interview, a member of the admissions staff had a pretty lengthy discussion with another interviewer about his CC credits. It seems like its more on a case by case basis. The only way to know for sure is to ask. :luck:

I just called and organic chem at a 4-year doesn't cut it (nor biochem). The upper level at the 4-year must be advanced inorganic. This is there "official policy" and I guess if you advance in the admin. process things may become more flexible (not that the person on the phone said this). I've already applied to too many schools as it is.

Thanks for your help.

tinman831 said:

I believe if you can do well in a higher level chemistry class at a university then surely the credits taken at a cc won't be looked down upon. When you're in dental school, no one is going to ask you to solve pv=nrt. You are going to be studying nerves, structures of the teeth, drug reactions, etc. A class like o-chem and calculus test your aptitude. You will only use the basics from biology and chemistry in dental school. Well, that's what my dentist told me........

dboy said:
I believe if you can do well in a higher level chemistry class at a university then surely the credits taken at a cc won't be looked down upon. When you're in dental school, no one is going to ask you to solve pv=nrt. You are going to be studying nerves, structures of the teeth, drug reactions, etc. A class like o-chem and calculus test your aptitude. You will only use the basics from biology and chemistry in dental school. Well, that's what my dentist told me........

If it makes you feel any better, I have taken biology, chemistry, physics, and calculus at my cc. I plan on taking O-chem at the university level and making A's to show that I can handle tough courses at a university. I think if you can do well in 0-Chem, biochemistry, and the upper level science courses then you have shown your true capabilities and any classes taken at a cc will not be scrutinized.

So, i took two classes at a CC....anatomy and a computer class required by my university...this should be okay right b/c they aren't prereqs for dental school??? (I'm applying to BU) Our school just doesn't offer anatomy over the summer and i wanted to take it before physio.....

So what schools do not accept cc coursework? I know at my school if you receive a "C" or higher, you are not allowed to retake a class. Is it possible to take the classes over at a university? How would the two grades factor into my GPA?

By all means, take your courses at the CC and do well in them. A lot of people underestimate the education at thr cc, but what matters when you're applying to dental schools is your numbers [aka gpa, dat]. Ever heard that first impression is lasting impression? Well, there you go. If you have a bunch of A's lined up, the admission officer looking at your application will first be impressed by those excellent grades. Later on, he'd probably see, oh this kid took classes at a cc or a 4-year. I really don't think it matters. I mean, they have like a 100s of applications to go through.... I don't think they'll be so petty to weed out those of us who've taken courses at a cc. Afterall, an excellent student is an excellent student. Simple as that - if you're average, you'll be average at either institution. Your numbers matter in the game. That's all. I've know several people who've gotten into medical schools with a CC education so it's really not a big deal.

Cheers, and good luck.