Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Community College

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by PChemGrad, Aug 1, 2006.

1. PChemGrad

PChemGrad I am a banana.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    How many people are in the same boat as I am? I started off at a community college, and did ok, I got C's in my bio classes and A's, and B's in gen chem and O-chem. But when I transfered to a 4 year my grades went WAY up, especially in my chemistry and advanced o-chem classes, do you think this will show i made up for my mistakes at the CC?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Same boat. From what I've heard from schools directly, if you go from CC to year and do better, that looks very, very good.

4. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Agreed...it tends to show that the biases toward CC's may not be all that justified.

Remember though as well, it's quite common for an applicants grades to steadily improve over their college years so the fact that you did better is probably not outside the norm...in which case "very, very good" might be an overstatement depending on the course load, difficulty of courses, etc. But, if you were taking advanced chem courses...you've got the difficulty part down! :thumbup:

5. DMD to Be

DMD to Be not luffin' this weather.
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm in the same boat. I went to a community college for 2 years, and then transferred to my university. (but I did take ALL my prereqs at the university). I think if your grades are consistent, they don't care. If you make A's and B's at a cc and then transfer out to only get C's and D's - that's where the problem comes in.... Seriously, though...I've spoken w/ some admissions pple and my advisor and neither seem to think it it a problem at all.

6. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Your overall GPA will include the CC and at the 4-year school for BCP, other science, and overall. I wouldn't sweat it, especially if your GPA is on the rise generally. Very few schools (2 or 3) refuse to accept any CC coursework.