Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AeroNat13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I noticed there hasn't been a community college thread in a long time.

Is anybody out there in a similar situation. You go to a 4-yr school, but you have taken lots of community college classes. Before college, after freshmen year, and after sophomore year. Does anybody know how that really looks to an admissions committee? I have taken all science classes at my 4 yr. school, so no harm there. But all the non-science classes at CC total to a 4.0, meaning my GPA is risen a lot because of it. Is this a good or bad thing? Any thoughts on community college in general?

Anybody can ask questions here about community college classes, GPAs etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a question. I went to a community college and got an associates degree before transferring to a four-year school because I graduated high school two years early. My CC GPA was 2.9, and my four-year GPA is 3.43. I know that I count the general biology and chemistry I took at the CC, but do I count the other classes in my GPA as well?

Okay so I noticed there hasn't been a community college thread in a long time.

Is anybody out there in a similar situation. You go to a 4-yr school, but you have taken lots of community college classes. Before college, after freshmen year, and after sophomore year. Does anybody know how that really looks to an admissions committee? I have taken all science classes at my 4 yr. school, so no harm there. But all the non-science classes at CC total to a 4.0, meaning my GPA is risen a lot because of it. Is this a good or bad thing? Any thoughts on community college in general?

Anybody can ask questions here about community college classes, GPAs etc.

Well i guess it really depends on how well you did at your 4 year college. I took all my prereqs at a CC (transfer styudent :D) and almost no school asked me about it...but then again, it might not be the case with top tier schools like harvard. Also in my case, i had tonsof upper division coursework from a UC.
hmmmm ... I remember BU's secondary having a question that asked you to explain why a significant amount of your coursework was from a junior college...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a question. I went to a community college and got an associates degree before transferring to a four-year school because I graduated high school two years early. My CC GPA was 2.9, and my four-year GPA is 3.43. I know that I count the general biology and chemistry I took at the CC, but do I count the other classes in my GPA as well?

Yes.

Oops. I meant that my CC GPA was a 3.9, not a 2.9. I really want to count those grades.

Hello.. I went to a community college myself for 2 years before transferring out to a 4 year university. I took some major science classes like Organic Chemistry and Physics at the CC and did pretty well in them. When I transferred over, I took higher level sciences and did very well in them too. I don't think it matters if you go to a CC as long as you maitain that high grade when you transfer over. You don't want to show that you were trying to take the easy way out going to the CC.
I know a friend who had a 2.9 GPA at a community college and then when he transferred over to a 4 year university, he got all A's for 4 consecutive semesters. The medical school comittees looked at his improvement and he got into the top schools of his choice despite his average MCAT.