• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Community College

AeroNat13

10+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2007
  1. Pre-Medical
    Okay so I noticed there hasn't been a community college thread in a long time.

Is anybody out there in a similar situation. You go to a 4-yr school, but you have taken lots of community college classes. Before college, after freshmen year, and after sophomore year. Does anybody know how that really looks to an admissions committee? I have taken all science classes at my 4 yr. school, so no harm there. But all the non-science classes at CC total to a 4.0, meaning my GPA is risen a lot because of it. Is this a good or bad thing? Any thoughts on community college in general?

Anybody can ask questions here about community college classes, GPAs etc.

Fiddlergirl

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jan 20, 2007
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      I've got a question. I went to a community college and got an associates degree before transferring to a four-year school because I graduated high school two years early. My CC GPA was 2.9, and my four-year GPA is 3.43. I know that I count the general biology and chemistry I took at the CC, but do I count the other classes in my GPA as well?

Gunslinger

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jul 22, 2006
      1. Medical Student
        Okay so I noticed there hasn't been a community college thread in a long time.

Is anybody out there in a similar situation. You go to a 4-yr school, but you have taken lots of community college classes. Before college, after freshmen year, and after sophomore year. Does anybody know how that really looks to an admissions committee? I have taken all science classes at my 4 yr. school, so no harm there. But all the non-science classes at CC total to a 4.0, meaning my GPA is risen a lot because of it. Is this a good or bad thing? Any thoughts on community college in general?

Anybody can ask questions here about community college classes, GPAs etc.

Well i guess it really depends on how well you did at your 4 year college. I took all my prereqs at a CC (transfer styudent :D) and almost no school asked me about it...but then again, it might not be the case with top tier schools like harvard. Also in my case, i had tonsof upper division coursework from a UC.
        hmmmm ... I remember BU's secondary having a question that asked you to explain why a significant amount of your coursework was from a junior college...

About the Ads

gotmeds?

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Oct 9, 2006
        1. Medical Student
          I've got a question. I went to a community college and got an associates degree before transferring to a four-year school because I graduated high school two years early. My CC GPA was 2.9, and my four-year GPA is 3.43. I know that I count the general biology and chemistry I took at the CC, but do I count the other classes in my GPA as well?

Yes.

woodhorse22

10+ Year Member
          Jan 3, 2006
          1. Attending Physician
            Hello.. I went to a community college myself for 2 years before transferring out to a 4 year university. I took some major science classes like Organic Chemistry and Physics at the CC and did pretty well in them. When I transferred over, I took higher level sciences and did very well in them too. I don't think it matters if you go to a CC as long as you maitain that high grade when you transfer over. You don't want to show that you were trying to take the easy way out going to the CC.
            I know a friend who had a 2.9 GPA at a community college and then when he transferred over to a 4 year university, he got all A's for 4 consecutive semesters. The medical school comittees looked at his improvement and he got into the top schools of his choice despite his average MCAT.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.