Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superman19

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a community college for 2 years and did okay..about a 3.0, but at the university i'm attending now, I have a 3.6. Is my community college gpa going to affect me when i apply to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a community college for 2 years and did okay..about a 3.0, but at the university i'm attending now, I have a 3.6. Is my community college gpa going to affect me when i apply to med school?

short answer: yes...

longer answer: so what is your total GPA (CC + uni)? If 3.6 is just for the uni, you are in trouble...people around here talk about upward trends, but you still need to get in to the 3.3, 3.4+ range for total GPA at a minimum to be competitive...

Oh geez......I was told not to take a lot of science classes at the community college i attended because most med schools don't take those grades into consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't seem like much of a problem. If anything, what you're doing looks good on paper. You had a mediocre (but not horrible) 3.0 from a CC, with mostly non-sciences. Then, you move onto a university, drastically raise your GPA, all the while taking more rigorous courses. If anything, this says a lot of GOOD things about you. Good job and keep it up!

Doesn't seem like much of a problem. If anything, what you're doing looks good on paper. You had a mediocre (but not horrible) 3.0 from a CC, with mostly non-sciences. Then, you move onto a university, drastically raise your GPA, all the while taking more rigorous courses. If anything, this says a lot of GOOD things about you. Good job and keep it up!

ummm...he has 2 years of 3.0, and some lesser amount of 3.6...suggesting his current cumulative GPA is south of 3.3...depending on how much time he has left in the uni, it seems doubtful he can raise that GPA above 3.3...

Now lots of people here will tell you that you are in good shape, but I don't believe it - 3.3 is not a competitive GPA for anyone at allo schools, much less someone who spent half of college at a CC...all is not lost, but OP really should be knocking out straight As for the remainder of college, which begs a question for the OP: what would you have to do in your remaining credits to raise your GPA above 3.3? can you get it to 3.4? any better than that? You have dug a bit of a hole for yourself, so start digging hard...

ummm...he has 2 years of 3.0, and some lesser amount of 3.6...suggesting his current cumulative GPA is south of 3.3...depending on how much time he has left in the uni, it seems doubtful he can raise that GPA above 3.3...

Now lots of people here will tell you that you are in good shape, but I don't believe it - 3.3 is not a competitive GPA for anyone at allo schools, much less someone who spent half of college at a CC...all is not lost, but OP really should be knocking out straight As for the remainder of college, which begs a question for the OP: what would you have to do in your remaining credits to raise your GPA above 3.3? can you get it to 3.4? any better than that? You have dug a bit of a hole for yourself, so start digging hard...

I didn't necessarily say he was in "good shape," only that his trending is in the right direction, going up instead of down or leveling. If 3.6 is his total (CC + Uni) then that means the OP probably has multiple semesters of essentially a 4.0 average at his/her uni (which is why I'm assuming the 3.6 average is just your uni GPA, or else you had an amazing turn-around and have been there a lot of semesters).

Either way, let's say you have just around a 3.3. Take a few more semester's at your current trend, raise it a couple of more tenths of a point, and your numbers won't look half bad. I don't think anyone (especially not myself) is suggesting OP is a shoe-in, but it's not like there hopes of acceptance in the somewhat-distant future is a pipe dream.

One more point:

Who said OP only has a couple of more semesters? They basically have as many more semesters as they want (unless you factor in the "slacker tax," some schools have for kids taking a ridiculous amount of semesters to graduate). I've never heard of a school forcing you out after 4 semesters. If the OP wants a higher GPA after there 2 years at the university, they can just keep taking more classes. So saying they have a few more semesters is not realistic, unless they decided they have to be out at such and such a point.

I didn't necessarily say he was in "good shape," only that his trending is in the right direction, going up instead of down or leveling. If 3.6 is his total (CC + Uni) then that means the OP probably has multiple semesters of essentially a 4.0 average at his/her uni (which is why I'm assuming the 3.6 average is just your uni GPA, or else you had an amazing turn-around and have been there a lot of semesters).

Either way, let's say you have just around a 3.3. Take a few more semester's at your current trend, raise it a couple of more tenths of a point, and your numbers won't look half bad. I don't think anyone (especially not myself) is suggesting OP is a shoe-in, but it's not like there hopes of acceptance in the somewhat-distant future is a pipe dream.

In fairness to you and me, OP really wasn't clear about his GPA, but from his first reply, he seemed a bit shocked to hear that his CC grades DO count in his med school apps, so I assume he has a total GPA somewhere south of 3.3...not terrible, and not a lost cause, but not too good, either - certainly not "competitive"...and depending on how much time he has left in school, I doubt that he can raise that total GPA much above 3.3 if at all...

UVA forces out students after 4 years...and I am sure other schools do, too...

Wow, that sucks! A really large amount of people don't graduate in four years anymore, although I guess that's not true for places like UVA; you graduate in 4 years or you don't greaduate at all, i presume?

Seems a bit ridiculous to me. This means that you can't change your major, unless it's something really close I guess. You certainly wouldn't be able to be even a sophomore and be able to switch from something like Philosophy to Physics, no time to squeeze in the pre-reqs. Glad I don't go to a school like that.