Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daver

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I searched and didnt find too much on this subject in other places. I am military and am stationed in a crappy little town where the nearest 4 year school with a science program is 1 1/2 hours away. So obvioulsy it is too hard to get their for daytime classes. The community college here has a decent science program and I can get all of the "med school pre reqs" and major in psych or something at one of the smaller liberal arts schools that are around here. My question is has anyone had any experience with this. How do ADCOMs look at this kind of thing. Any help is definitely appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. I'm amazed you didn't find answers. This has been asked and answered many, many times before. Community college is fine, just make up for it by going to an amazing 4-year to finish up. The whole point is to show that you can do challenging coursework, which your community college may have, but the adcoms won't know it.

Originally posted by none
Wow. I'm amazed you didn't find answers. This has been asked and answered many, many times before. Community college is fine, just make up for it by going to an amazing 4-year to finish up. The whole point is to show that you can do challenging coursework, which your community college may have, but the adcoms won't know it.

That was the point that I could not find. I am stuck here, I cannot go to an "amazing" 4 year school. I can go to a mediocre liberal arts school all thanks to our great Uncle Sam.

Members don't see this ad :)
daver,

check your email

$50,000 should cover the last two years at a good public university pretty easily. How much time do you have left?

I have 2 years left. You got me with the $50,000 thing. What are you talking about. $50,000 would more than do me for 2 more years at a good school but I have a wife and 2 kids who I cannot up and displace for a ROTC scholarship or anything like that because no job = no food. I have looked at the options and unfortunately I am stuck here and must make the best out of it, but was looking for some insight from someone that may be in the same situation.

Daver you should be fine at a community college for you are in the military and many options are just not available to you right not. Believe it or not, I am sure that adcoms will *understand* that due to your job circumstances and stationed in podunk USA. I am also previous military and hubby is in Army right now. Good luck!

I thought the Montgomery G.I. Bill provided enlistees $50,000 for college following the completion of their service requirement?

Not unless it has changed drastically since I got out. I had both the GI Bill and the College Fund and it was nowhere near that much.

No, only about $14,000. I think it is a little higher for people that have joined recently but that is all I will get. Better than nothing though. Of course getting it out of the VA is another battle much like getting into med school.

daver, i am taking night classes at a cc to get my pre-med stuff finished. what i am doing, and what i have been told to do, is make really really good grades at the cc. what 4 yr schools do you have nearby? where would you finish up? they might not be that bad. if you can get As there, i think it will give you a good shot at getting into med school. the adcoms will take your military/family situation into account. you will be a unique and interesting applicant due to your life experiences. don't get frustrated and don't underestimate yourself. you will find a way.

agreed. im taking my pre-meds at a local cc and luckily for me theres a columbia college branch near me where i plan to get my psych degree and a minor in spanish.

i hope thats going to be good enough.