Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cmot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that it is sometimes smart to take some of your harder sciences like biochem. at a community college over the summer to ensure a good grade. Saying one did this what would it look like to the med. schools. To me it almost seems like cheating or taking the easy way out. So I guess my question is do med. schools think "every A is created equal." Any feed back on this would be appreciated thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i doubt they think every a is created equal -- they're not stupid. if you went to a rigorous undergrad but took all your premed classes at community college during the summers they would not look favorably on it. taking one or two classes at community college probably won't affect you negatively, but any more than that while you're in college doesn't look too good. they will know your 3.9 science GPA from yale is really a 3.9 science GPA from new haven community college. if you're taking them after you've graduated from college or because you are in the first two years of college and will be transferring to a 4 year school, it is probably not looked down upon as much.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking lower-level bio/chem/whatever classes at a CC over the summer to save money. But I don't think it makes sense to take upper-level courses at a CC.

I guess I'd define upper level as any chem beyond the first (maybe second) semester of inorganic/general chem, any bio beyond intro, etc.

In other words, don't take organic chem, biochem, or upper bio at a CC

Members don't see this ad :)
I took biochem at my local public university. It was much cheaper than at my private college, and was offered over the summer (when I wanted to take it since I wanted to, and did finish all my classes a semester early). If you're at an expensive private school, I doubt there's anything wrong with taking a class at a large university - it's cheaper, usually offered more often, and it tends to be easier than at good private schools (at least it was in my case). And I doubt adcoms look down upon this.

it's fine to take it wherever, but adcoms will wonder why you didn't take it at your school. could you not handle a full load? if money was the factor, you will need to show you graduated early, because it doesn't cost any more money to take 4 classes at a time vs. 3 classes at a time -- at least at a private school.

YOU SHOULD CHECK WITH THE MEDICAL SCHOOLS YOU ARE INTERESTED IN.

In case the above writing is not readable, there are some medical schools that will not accept credit from community colleges (mostly top 20 schools)... check it out with the schools.

I would also beware. Things aren't always what they appear. At the CC that I went to all my friends told me to wait and take o-chem until after I had transferred to the four year because it was harder at the CC. Also, the intro level zoology course that I took at the CC was probably one of the most challenging lower division biology courses I took while in college. I think the professor failed half the class. So, just because it's a CC doesn't mean it's an easy A. Oftentimes, professors actually grade harder there because they are overcompensating for that misconception. Anyhow, that was just my experience. It probably is very dependant upon the particular school, and course.

Good luck,

Adam

Ohh, I guess I should add that having taken CC courses didn't hurt me in the least. I was accepted to a couple top 10 programs. It really all comes down to what you make of the situation.

Good luck,

Adam