Community college?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior. I will not be in any AP classes until next year but am in honors. However, my GPA is probably like a 2.7 and my class rank is top half but no where near the top quarter. I have 79 hours of community service. Thats my resume, its terrible. I do plan on getting involved more but I don't know what good it will do at this point...

Would I benefit by going to Community College? There is a CC 5 minutes away that is supposed to be "the best in the state" but I'm in NJ and its pretty small so, yeah sure, lol, I guess its the best CC.

My point is that, I know I can handle AP and CC courses but it won't matter because my GPA is terrible, I cannot guarantee a stellar score on the SAT's.

My dad told me I can always just go to Montclair state (NJ college) and major in accounting like he did.

I'm not stupid. I just didn't apply myself freshman year (probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference, I was in dumb classes anyway). The thing is, I don't want to be an accountant, I want to be a doctor, even if I go down the Psych route, that is still a medical profession, is it not? Honestly, I don't even care about the money anymore because doctor's get paid so much I can afford to have a nice house in a big development, a BMW and 5 kids, so I don't care anymore.

All I know is that I'm positive this is what I want to do. The thing is, medical school is so difficult to get into. I mean, I guess I can go to my local CC, transfer to Rutgers:NB (guaranteed acceptance if you get like a 3.5 after the two years or something) and then HOPEFULLY get into UMDNJ. Get into x residency after that etc.

I am just so worried that if I go to a CC that will MURDER my chances of applying to UMDNJ because I will only have 2 years to do all my volunteer work and all that stuff you are supposed to do. I'm just so nervous.

I don't want to wake up at 4 in the morning to take the train to NYC and be forced to work until 10 at night getting paid crap on a rookies salary, I don't want to do that because I know I am smart enough to get into a nice college and have the potential to do very well there, especially Rutgers.

Bottom line: After reading all of this, what do you think I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Your post is kind of confusing.
I think you have some misconceptions about being a physician, the biggest one being that we are all rich. I'm 33, make $45,000 per year, have 132k in debt still from med school, have been working on my career (research job, then med school, then internal medicine residency, then another research year,now starting cardiology fellowship that will be 3 years long) for the past 10 years or so, since finishing college. If you want, you could count my 4 years undergrad as part of the process, but I really don't (except maybe the jr. and sr. years). It is true that some specialties of doctors make a lot of money (i.e. radiologist, orthopedic surgeons, many cardiologists and GI doctors, some surgeons) but that money you're talking about making it when you are 35 to 55 years old. You won't be "rich" any time soon. Also it's going to cost you 50,000 per year for med school, at least, by the time you go. I'm not saying not to go, but only do it if you will really enjoy the job and don't care you're going to have to bust your a-- to get there and stay there in this profession. It's worth it but only if you love it. People who don't love it end up miserable...I have several colleagues from med school and residency like that. If you don't love it you'll be having a midlife crisis when you're 35 or 40, wondering why the hell you did this to yourself. I know a lot, lot of doctors not driving a BMW or any other fancy car (though I concede there are a good number who are...). Personally I haven't been able to afford my own home, etc. yet, and if I had even a couple of kids I'd be pretty broke :)

You should stop worrying about your past high school GPA a whole lot since it won't get you in to med school vs. keep you out. Your focus should be on doing as well as you can academically during the latter part of high school (i.e. a 3.7 GPA in senior year could make up for a multitude of sins/low grades as a freshman in high school).

In general I don't recommend community colleges to premeds, because in general they don't necessarily teach the classes with the focus on teaching folks for science grad school or med school. In other words, their intro biology course might not teach the right things to get you read for med school, or the MCAT (test you have to take to get admitted to med school). However, if someone wanted to take community college classes while in high school, or maybe go there for a semester or a year to start out college, I think that's fine. I just wouldn't count on taking my required premed courses there...the med school admissions committees tend to know the grading might not be as stiff there, and sometimes would not even accept credits from there for your required biology, physics, chem and English courses.

I'm not from the northeast but I know Rutgers has a good reputation. If you want to shoot for Rutgers, you need to find out what their average high school GPA and SAT or ACT scores are, to get an idea if you are competitive to get in there.

It's all a blank slate now. Med schools don't care what you did in high school. If you do great in college then you'd have a good shot at med school...but need to pick a college that has experience with helping pre-health professions students (i.e. premed, prenursing, pre-physical therapy or optometry, etc.) get in to the professions of their choice. This could be Rutgers or some other school(s). There are lots of good colleges out there. You could try and ask for a meeting with the health professions advisor (or office, if it's a big university like Rutgers) at the time you tour/visit colleges.

I'm a junior. I will not be in any AP classes until next year but am in honors. However, my GPA is probably like a 2.7 and my class rank is top half but no where near the top quarter. I have 79 hours of community service. Thats my resume, its terrible. I do plan on getting involved more but I don't know what good it will do at this point...

Would I benefit by going to Community College? There is a CC 5 minutes away that is supposed to be "the best in the state" but I'm in NJ and its pretty small so, yeah sure, lol, I guess its the best CC.

My point is that, I know I can handle AP and CC courses but it won't matter because my GPA is terrible, I cannot guarantee a stellar score on the SAT's.

My dad told me I can always just go to Montclair state (NJ college) and major in accounting like he did.

I'm not stupid. I just didn't apply myself freshman year (probably wouldn't have made that much of a difference, I was in dumb classes anyway). The thing is, I don't want to be an accountant, I want to be a doctor, even if I go down the Psych route, that is still a medical profession, is it not? Honestly, I don't even care about the money anymore because doctor's get paid so much I can afford to have a nice house in a big development, a BMW and 5 kids, so I don't care anymore.

All I know is that I'm positive this is what I want to do. The thing is, medical school is so difficult to get into. I mean, I guess I can go to my local CC, transfer to Rutgers:NB (guaranteed acceptance if you get like a 3.5 after the two years or something) and then HOPEFULLY get into UMDNJ. Get into x residency after that etc.

I am just so worried that if I go to a CC that will MURDER my chances of applying to UMDNJ because I will only have 2 years to do all my volunteer work and all that stuff you are supposed to do. I'm just so nervous.

I don't want to wake up at 4 in the morning to take the train to NYC and be forced to work until 10 at night getting paid crap on a rookies salary, I don't want to do that because I know I am smart enough to get into a nice college and have the potential to do very well there, especially Rutgers.

First off, going to a CC will not kill your chances of getting into medical school. Search around SDN and you'll find that plenty of people get into med school who went to a CC and then transferred. Why not do volunteer work while at a CC? Secondly, med schools don't require any specific major. Major in something you like and just do well in it. Finally, I think your perception of doctors is a slightly skewed. Doctors will never be poor, but I don't think the majority are filthy rich.

Members don't see this ad :)

While I was reading, I was going to tell you that High school grades don't matter. There's nothing wrong with going to community college and transferring schools as long as you buckle down and get the good grades you need, when you mentioned the stuff about a big house and BMW, that led me to believe that your passion is more towards money than medicine. You mentioned salary also with not wanting to work for a lousy salary, so money is a big priority for you. Have you done any volunteer work at a hospital or clinic, or done any shadowing? If not, you should not really say that medicine is your passion, and for that I think you would be better off in a finance field.

While I was reading, I was going to tell you that High school grades don't matter. There's nothing wrong with going to community college and transferring schools as long as you buckle down and get the good grades you need, when you mentioned the stuff about a big house and BMW, that led me to believe that your passion is more towards money than medicine. You mentioned salary also with not wanting to work for a lousy salary, so money is a big priority for you. Have you done any volunteer work at a hospital or clinic, or done any shadowing? If not, you should not really say that medicine is your passion, and for that I think you would be better off in a finance field.

All things aside, yes, money is very important to me. However, before I was just driven towards medicine for the high numbers, now I really don't care because just by talked with my father (who wants me in business) and now I know where my heart is at and that is in medicine in some way, shape or form. I know I want to be in this field.

Just a quick sidebar, just because I like money does not mean I should be in finance.

The only reason I mentioned the big house and BMW was to make a point that now I really don't care much about the financial aspect of medicine because like the above poster said, doctors will always be paid a high amount of money. That, again, was the point I was trying to make.

While money IS a high priority for me, I do NOT want to work long hours and not be well compensated for it, I know you have to work your way up in the business world but I would make MUCH more than what accountants get paid, even though I may have to work similar hours.

I have done volunteer work at a hospital and want to do shadowing so I am going to look into that this year. 79 hours may not sound like much but 4 hours a day for a whole summer was enough to confirm that I want a career in medicine, not sure which career exactly, but I know that this is my field.

First off, going to a CC will not kill your chances of getting into medical school. Search around SDN and you'll find that plenty of people get into med school who went to a CC and then transferred. Why not do volunteer work while at a CC? Secondly, med schools don't require any specific major. Major in something you like and just do well in it. Finally, I think your perception of doctors is a slightly skewed. Doctors will never be poor, but I don't think the majority are filthy rich.

I don't care about being filthy rich, I just want a nice house and a Mercedes. Everything else goes into savings, donations, and wife and kids.

Jef, to answer the question that you were asking - only take courses at the CC while you are in high school if you can ace them. Those grades will show up on your med school application. You want them to be as high as possible.

There are other options besides CC in NJ such as Ramapo College, Kean University, William Paterson University, Rutgers Newark, etc. Most people who don't get into Rutgers NB usually get into Rutgers Newark and I think you would probably get in with your GPA. I know most of the colleges I listed aren't really that great but its just that most of public universities in NJ just suck besides Rutgers NB. So its your choice, either go to CC and transfer to Rutgers NB after 1 year, go to any public NJ university and then transfer to Rutgers NB after 1 year, or stay at a public NJ university if you like it. Also, not trying to be negative or anything but don't have high expectations for UMDNJ. There are ton of premed students at Rutgers and they all want to pay in-state tuition for medical school so the competition is extremely fierce. Although you expressed the fact that you really like medicine, accounting salaries aren't really that bad. The difference is that for medicine, once you finish residency and find a job you'll start out with six figures but in accounting it will take a couple of years in order to make six figures. Don't think that accountants don't make a lot of money just because they start out low, there are so many career options for accounting after you have some experience and you can really make quite a lot depending on what you do.

There are other options besides CC in NJ such as Ramapo College, Kean University, William Paterson University, Rutgers Newark, etc. Most people who don't get into Rutgers NB usually get into Rutgers Newark and I think you would probably get in with your GPA. I know most of the colleges I listed aren't really that great but its just that most of public universities in NJ just suck besides Rutgers NB. So its your choice, either go to CC and transfer to Rutgers NB after 1 year, go to any public NJ university and then transfer to Rutgers NB after 1 year, or stay at a public NJ university if you like it. Also, not trying to be negative or anything but don't have high expectations for UMDNJ. There are ton of premed students at Rutgers and they all want to pay in-state tuition for medical school so the competition is extremely fierce. Although you expressed the fact that you really like medicine, accounting salaries aren't really that bad. The difference is that for medicine, once you finish residency and find a job you'll start out with six figures but in accounting it will take a couple of years in order to make six figures. Don't think that accountants don't make a lot of money just because they start out low, there are so many career options for accounting after you have some experience and you can really make quite a lot depending on what you do.

Not trying to change the subject, but, how much? I know this is a "wow, just stop posting question" but I'm just curious. I think just about all salaries in business start out low. I haven't totally blown off accounting, I know I'll still be driving my Mercedes and live in my big house but my dad (who is an accountant, like I mentioned before) said that if I wanted to make a lot of money I could, but he said that I would probably wind up having to work in NYC and be working 100 hours a week (Or a HELL of a lot of hours) if I wanted to make "a lot" and that really turned me off.

I have heard TONS of people suggest business instead of medicine...yet nobody has given me an alternative business career with an average salary....

google.jpg

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_money_does_an_accountant_earn

I would probably wind up having to work in NYC and be working 100 hours a week (Or a HELL of a lot of hours) if I wanted to make "a lot" and that really turned me off.
What do you think medicine is going to take? I currently spend from 9 until at least 4 in class and then come home and study. Even assuming a very low 2 hours of studying per day, that's 45 hours during the week plus probably another 15 (low estimate again) on weekends, that's a full 60 hours of work at the bare minimum. 70 would probably be more realistic. During your 3rd and 4th years, you'll be on the wards for 80 hours a week. Same for residency, a bit better for practice but not too much. This Mercedes and hot wife idyll of yours doesn't seem to be achievable through means you're currently willing to undertake. Don't forget that you'll be making jack **** until you're at least in your early 30's if you pursue medicine. How much will you be making in some other field by then if money is your sole motivator?

For the bajillionth time, you should stop worrying about this stuff now. Finish high school(!), and make it through college a little bit before you start trying to figure out what you want to do for a career.

Not trying to change the subject, but, how much? I know this is a "wow, just stop posting question" but I'm just curious. I think just about all salaries in business start out low. I haven't totally blown off accounting, I know I'll still be driving my Mercedes and live in my big house but my dad (who is an accountant, like I mentioned before) said that if I wanted to make a lot of money I could, but he said that I would probably wind up having to work in NYC and be working 100 hours a week (Or a HELL of a lot of hours) if I wanted to make "a lot" and that really turned me off.

I have heard TONS of people suggest business instead of medicine...yet nobody has given me an alternative business career with an average salary....

Well, most corporate jobs these days where you make you six figures require a lot of hours and lot of stress. There really isn't a job in accounting or finance where you could make six figures by working a regular 40 hour work week or where its "easy". If you want to set your own hours and still make good money get a CPA license and open up your accounting firm. Any upper management position in accounting such as CFO, director, manager, controller, partner in a firm, etc will all have six figure salaries. So if you want to make the big bucks, your gonna have to give up something in order to get it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, most corporate jobs these days where you make you six figures require a lot of hours and lot of stress. There really isn't a job in accounting or finance where you could make six figures by working a regular 40 hour work week or where its "easy". If you want to set your own hours and still make good money get a CPA license and open up your accounting firm. Any upper management position in accounting such as CFO, director, manager, controller, partner in a firm, etc will all have six figure salaries. So if you want to make the big bucks, your gonna have to give up something in order to get it.

Define "big bucks"

Those bucks aren't big....:)

I think the 90% of Americans who don't make that much would tend to disagree. Maybe a firmer grasp on reality would help your progression towards med school (which, incidentally, is why everyone keeps telling you to wait to make the plans you seem bent on solidifying now).

i had a pretty bad home life when i was a teenager and i failed at least 1-2 classes every year in high school. i went to summer school almost every every year just to pass to the next grade. needless to say i was at the very bottom of my class and i was forced to go to a county college. i was able to improve the situations in my life and i busted my ass for a year and had 3.8 GPA... transferred over to montclair state before getting that good-for-nothing associates degree. busted my ass again there and then applied to med schools. not one interviewer asked me about my CC grades.

so basically if you don't get into a 4-year college don't sweat it... just make sure that you rock all of ur classes because nothing looks worse than going to a CC and getting anything less than stellar (even tho those CC classes were harder than most of the MSU classes -- no joke!)

i had a pretty bad home life when i was a teenager and i failed at least 1-2 classes every year in high school. i went to summer school almost every every year just to pass to the next grade. needless to say i was at the very bottom of my class and i was forced to go to a county college. i was able to improve the situations in my life and i busted my ass for a year and had 3.8 GPA... transferred over to montclair state before getting that good-for-nothing associates degree. busted my ass again there and then applied to med schools. not one interviewer asked me about my CC grades.

so basically if you don't get into a 4-year college don't sweat it... just make sure that you rock all of ur classes because nothing looks worse than going to a CC and getting anything less than stellar (even tho those CC classes were harder than most of the MSU classes -- no joke!)

So you went to med school from MSU? Nice. What medical school?

Yes. it. is. It is way above the average income level in the US. at 100,000 / year you would make ~3 million in a 30 year career.
For a physician, thats crap. It honestly just depends what we are talking about, how much exp. you have etc. For example, my dad has a degree in accounting. He makes WELL over 100,000 a year, probably closer to 200k. He has a four year degree from a private liberal arts school that is not know for anything. 100,000 dollars by itself is great, but again, it really just depends what we are talking about. Most people do not even go to college, the majority only have BA's and nothing else so it is no wonder that the average income is 40k a year. If you look at it this way, 100,000 isn't too bad. I don't know, this is the way I look at it.

For a physician, thats crap. It honestly just depends what we are talking about, how much exp. you have etc. For example, my dad has a degree in accounting. He makes WELL over 100,000 a year, probably closer to 200k. He has a four year degree from a private liberal arts school that is not know for anything. 100,000 dollars by itself is great, but again, it really just depends what we are talking about. Most people do not even go to college, the majority only have BA's and nothing else so it is no wonder that the average income is 40k a year. If you look at it this way, 100,000 isn't too bad. I don't know, this is the way I look at it.

No matter what anyone tells you, you always disagree or have something negative to say. You're so worried about salaries and your Mercedes Benz or your wife fantasy that you fail to see reality. "100k isn't a lot" give me a freaking break, around 5 pct. of single income earners in the United States make that much per year. And when the mention of high salaries in accounting came across, you immediately changed the subject and started questioning what the income was of an accountant. If you truly want to be a doctor stop asking what the salary is every 5 freaking seconds and do a Google search. You are choosing a career based on money and that will get you nowhere. A million kids claim they want to be a doctor and claim it is their passion but how many follow through? Get off SDN and focus on studying for your SAT's and getting into a decent school instead of contemplating money and going to a community college. What would you know of salary anyway? You're still in school. Get real please.

This post blew my mind. There are so many things wrong here...just...wow. Let's break it into parts.

For a physician, thats crap.
We weren't talking about physicians. We were talking about all jobs.

It honestly just depends what we are talking about, how much exp. you have etc.
I believe the average Caesar cited earlier only uses people's current salaries, so pay increases due to experience are already accounted for. I suppose it's generally true that you'll make more in a particular job the longer you do that job.

For example, my dad has a degree in accounting. He makes WELL over 100,000 a year, probably closer to 200k.
Good for him. His earnings are in the top 5% of Americans' which you would know if you'd even glanced at the salary information provided for you.
100,000 dollars by itself is great, but again, it really just depends what we are talking about.
Last I checked, $100000 didn't change in value across jobs.
Most people do not even go to college, the majority only have BA's and nothing else so it is no wonder that the average income is 40k a year.
Yes, I'm sure they're very disappointed they only went to college. What were they thinking? Everyone worth a damn spends 4 more years in graduate education and 3-7 more after that in training. Get real.

If you look at it this way, 100,000 isn't too bad.
What other way is there to look at it?

Last edited:

First of all if you know that your dad is making close to 200k then why the hell did you say that accountants don't make a lot of money. You seriously don't know how hard it is to make 100k and what it takes to make that much.

Your motivation for medicine and true passion sounds way off course here, if you ask me.

Money should really be the last thing on your mind when you're going into medicine. Sure, it's nice to have, but it shouldn't be your reason for becoming a physician.

1) You'll come out of Medical School with ~200k+ in debt
2) You'll spend 4 years in college, 4 years in MS, 4-7 years in residency before you start making a decent amount of money (assuming you're smart and talented enough to become a surgeon, and want to live the lifestyle of a surgeon)
2b) Family medical doctors, pediatricians, and other lower end physicians don't make "big bucks" based on your definition of it; they only make about 80k-130k
2c) Surgeons, anesthesiologists, and some of those specialties start making upwards of 200k-400k

If you're going into medicine for the money, you're going to be poorly mistaken. You'll be working a large amount of hours throughout your entire career (most likely) in order to get those big bucks, and if you don't like what you're doing, you're going to hate yourself.

Get through High School and get into college before you start worrying about what you want to do. You don't sound passionate at all for medicine, so I would seriously wait and consider other options.

Your motivation for medicine and true passion sounds way off course here, if you ask me.

Money should really be the last thing on your mind when you're going into medicine. Sure, it's nice to have, but it shouldn't be your reason for becoming a physician.

1) You'll come out of Medical School with ~200k+ in debt
2) You'll spend 4 years in college, 4 years in MS, 4-7 years in residency before you start making a decent amount of money (assuming you're smart and talented enough to become a surgeon, and want to live the lifestyle of a surgeon)
2b) Family medical doctors, pediatricians, and other lower end physicians don't make "big bucks" based on your definition of it; they only make about 80k-130k
2c) Surgeons, anesthesiologists, and some of those specialties start making upwards of 200k-400k

If you're going into medicine for the money, you're going to be poorly mistaken. You'll be working a large amount of hours throughout your entire career (most likely) in order to get those big bucks, and if you don't like what you're doing, you're going to hate yourself.

Get through High School and get into college before you start worrying about what you want to do. You don't sound passionate at all for medicine, so I would seriously wait and consider other options.

1-Knew that. Looking at UG's with low tuition so my parents may be able to help pay for some of my med school education if I can get in.

2-By that time I'll probably know if I truly want to be a surgeon. Almost all physicians make more than "decent" pay.

2b-Knew that. Not interested in that, and no its not because of the money, being a pediatrician just doesn't interest me at all.

I have argued this already. I know I will be compensated well in medicine and be able to buy everything I want and maybe have a family and live comfortably (if you got the impression that all I wanted was money and to live in a mansion, you got the wrong idea.).

I know if I want to make a lot I will have to put in a lot, thats how it works.

I'll explain why I want to be a surgeon. Obviously you have to want to help someone the best you can. I see surgery as "fixing" someone. I will use a neurosurgeon as an example. One of his patients has a brain tumor, he goes in and removes ("fixes") it. No complications, patient wakes up, recovers smoothly, and is overjoyed. Job is finished. I see it as "fixing" somebody. I can only imagine what a brain surgeon feels like after doing a successful procedure like that.

There are other reasons why I want this career but I'm not going to discuss it in this thread. If you care enough, message me I'll tell you.

1-Knew that. Looking at UG's with low tuition so my parents may be able to help pay for some of my med school education if I can get in.

2-By that time I'll probably know if I truly want to be a surgeon. Almost all physicians make more than "decent" pay.

2b-Knew that. Not interested in that, and no its not because of the money, being a pediatrician just doesn't interest me at all.

I have argued this already. I know I will be compensated well in medicine and be able to buy everything I want and maybe have a family and live comfortably (if you got the impression that all I wanted was money and to live in a mansion, you got the wrong idea.).

I know if I want to make a lot I will have to put in a lot, thats how it works.

I'll explain why I want to be a surgeon. Obviously you have to want to help someone the best you can. I see surgery as "fixing" someone. I will use a neurosurgeon as an example. One of his patients has a brain tumor, he goes in and removes ("fixes") it. No complications, patient wakes up, recovers smoothly, and is overjoyed. Job is finished. I see it as "fixing" somebody. I can only imagine what a brain surgeon feels like after doing a successful procedure like that.

There are other reasons why I want this career but I'm not going to discuss it in this thread. If you care enough, message me I'll tell you.

Surgery is very rarely a snip and it's "fixed" situation. Many patients face physical therapy and a long recovery just to get back to normal function.

I heard a surgeon the other day who was still working with a patient months after surgery. (Granted its a transplant, but still)
I should have been less vague in my post. You're right though. I know its not usually a one shot deal I was just trying to make a point with the whole "fixing" thing.

Your demeanor just comes off as if you are going into it for money and a pash lifestyle.

If 100 hours a week is too much for you, then medicine probably isn't the right field. You'll often be working 80 hour weeks in residency, and depending on your specialty, even more than that as an attending.

I don't really understand you, why do you want to be a doctor if you're only in it for the money? There are lots of other jobs that require much less school and work that make enough money to get you your benz. Working in the medical field is about helping people; not getting a sweet ride. Also, the way things are looking, politically, doctors might be making a lot less soon.

I'm not arguing this anymore, all my money related questions will be posted in the resident section. If you want to know WHY I want to be a doctor PM me and I will tell you because I'm not posting it here.

I hope you're aware that the residents are going to be even harder on you than the people here in hSDN. They'll wipe that naivete of yours away in a hurry and replace it with some good, old-fashioned self-doubt and insecurity. Those are probably more useful feelings than what you're currently experiencing, truthfully.

While we're at it, you should learn to not ignore advice that doesn't fit what you want to hear. This world isn't always full of rainbows, and the med school admissions process is about as cutthroat and trying an ordeal as you're going to come across, given your supposed SES. When people with far more relevant experience than you tell you something, you should pay attention. If you follow my posts at all, you'll know that I don't think that going into medicine solely for monetary reasons is necessarily a bad plan. However, doing so when you clearly have absolutely no idea what a career in medicine is going to require is completely assinine. Of course, that's a moot point because you're still a junior in high school. A career in medicine won't even be a possibility for you for 5 more years at the very least. Planning for the future is great and all, but trying to nail down your future specialty when you're 16 is simply absurd.

From your repeated waverings, it's obvious that you have no clue what you're doing or what you're in for. That's fine. That's why hSDN is around, but don't act like you know better than the people advising you. You came here acting like some big shot destined for Harvard and multiple acceptances to the country's most prestigious med schools. Since then, you've backed that down to mediocre SAT scores, poor high school grades, and possibly going to a community college before attending a 4-year program. For someone whose future is all planned out and set in stone, you sure have introduced a lot of variables.

I'll say to you again: stop worrying about medicine for now. Spend your time trying to build a social life and being a kid. Develop some social skills that help you relate with other people. Have fun. Be stupid. Get some useful life experience. Most of all, pull your head out and learn that sound advice doesn't always come in the prettiest packages.

Last edited:
I hope you're aware that the residents are going to be even harder on you than the people here in hSDN. They'll wipe that naivete of yours away in a hurry and replace it with some good, old-fashioned self-doubt and insecurity. Those are probably more useful feelings than what you're currently experiencing, truthfully.

And all of God's people said AMEN!

While we're at it, you should learn to not ignore advice that doesn't fit what you want to hear. This world isn't always full of rainbows, and the med school admissions process is about as cutthroat and trying an ordeal as you're going to come across, given your supposed SES. When people with far more relevant experience than you tell you something, you should pay attention. If you follow my posts at all, you'll know that I don't think that going into medicine solely for monetary reasons is necessarily a bad plan. However, doing so when you clearly have absolutely no idea what a career in medicine is going to require is completely assinine. Of course, that's a moot point because you're still a junior in high school. A career in medicine won't even be a possibility for you for 5 more years at the very least. Planning for the future is great and all, but trying to nail down your future specialty when you're 16 is simply absurd.

From your repeated waverings, it's obvious that you have no clue what you're doing or what you're in for. That's fine. That's why hSDN is around, but don't act like you know better than the people advising you. You came here acting like some big shot destined for Harvard and multiple acceptances to the country's most prestigious med schools. Since then, you've backed that down to mediocre SAT scores, poor high school grades, and possibly going to a community college before attending a 4-year program. For someone whose future is all planned out and set in stone, you sure have introduced a lot of variables.

I'll say to you again: stop worrying about medicine for now. Spend your time trying to build a social life and being a kid. Develop some social skills that help you relate with other people. Have fun. Be stupid. Get some useful life experience. Most of all, pull your head out and learn that sound advice doesn't always come in the prettiest packages.

I know this is one of those posts I should not be responding to but I just want to point one thing out.

I remember back when I started all of those threads and I admit I did act like a big shot. I do intend to do a lot of what I said I would do. I have also come to realize that an Ivy is not necessary for success, especially in undergrad. I have honestly came to realize this over the past few months discussing it on here and I'm glad that I did. In hindsight, I admit that I did act like a jerk in some of my threads from a few months ago.

I do agree with you that I should stop worrying about medical school but I cannot help worrying about Undergrad.