Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CantStop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was planning on taking Organic Chemistry I (with lab) and Physics II (with lab) at a four year university this summer, but unfortunately, the schedule of classes just isn't working out, as the classes just overlap. So, I'm most likely going to have to take the classes at a community college, instead. I am, however, still planning on taking Orgo II (with lab) and an upper level Bio class at a four year university this Fall.

How badly will taking this class at a CC hurt my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Just as long as the majority of your pre-reqs are taken at a 4-year college/university you will be fine.

Just as long as the majority of your pre-reqs are taken at a 4-year college/university you will be fine.
Yeah, and I've done well in them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to take Orgo I at a 4 year university and Phys II at community college? That would be ideal. Orgo I at a CC could be TOO simplified (I've seen it). Orgo II at your university could be very difficult without a strong Orgo I base to stand on. Where finishing Phys II at a CC has minimal long-term implications.

Is it possible to take Orgo I at a 4 year university and Phys II at community college? That would be ideal. Orgo I at a CC could be TOO simplified (I've seen it). Orgo II at your university could be very difficult without a strong Orgo I base to stand on. Where finishing Phys II at a CC has minimal long-term implications.
That's not really an option, unfortunately.

I was planning on taking Organic Chemistry I (with lab) and Physics II (with lab) at a four year university this summer, but unfortunately, the schedule of classes just isn't working out, as the classes just overlap. So, I'm most likely going to have to take the classes at a community college, instead. I am, however, still planning on taking Orgo II (with lab) and an upper level Bio class at a four year university this Fall.

I'd say go ahead and take them at the CC. It's more convenient and cheaper for you. My buddy got into Western and Touro-CA last year. He did MOST of his pre-req and retakes at a CC.

I took almost every pre-req at a community college and have had 4 acceptances this year. never came up once at an interview, all they could say was how siiiick my grades were ! I pulled a 3.9 post bacc

I took almost every pre-req at a community college and have had 4 acceptances this year. never came up once at an interview, all they could say was how siiiick my grades were ! I pulled a 3.9 post bacc

If you had such siiiiiick grades, why did you do a post bac program?

If you had such siiiiiick grades, why did you do a post bac program?

I didn't do a post bac "program" basically I had a 3.4 gpa from undergrad, but hadn't taken the sciences...so I took them myself while working full time. oh and by the way, I got the word siiiick from my coworkers recently.... thought it fit well in a pre-med context :)

i honestly don't think it'll hurt at all...

i did some of my pre-req over the summer in a community college
and i had no trouble getting those count toward my pre-req
and did not hear anything from the admin committee about them

honestly, some of the classes I took at a community college are harder than at my 4 year pretty decent University...

just my experience and good luck w/ OChem! that was an interesting class..lol

I was in a simular situation, doing the majority of my science coursework at a CC. I made up for this on the MCAT though. Interestingly, some of the lower tiered school had a problem with the CC classes while the better one did not. I got into my top choice.

I don't want to mislead you into thinking CC classes are completely OK. You need to get A's in the courses and shine in other areas of your application. The MCAT is the best place to make up ground. Also, make sure to get science recommendations from non-CC professors.
Could you tell me which schools had a problem?

It would be lke you never took the course (I'm being serious).

Community college courses can sometimes be challenging. But unless you plan on going into nursing, never rely on a pre-req- especially organic chem.- to mean much for a medical school.

Community college courses can sometimes be challenging. But unless you plan on going into nursing, never rely on a pre-req- especially organic chem.- to mean much for a medical school.
Maybe I just don't understand you, but are you saying that med schools don't care about the prerequisites that you take?

Can you folks provide some factual data explaining why taking pre-reqs at a CC is worse than a 4 year institution? Is Physics I different at CC X than University Y? If both the CC and 4 year university hold the same regional accreditation standards, why would they be any different? I know several full time and adjunct instructors who teach at several different schools and use the same textbook to teach the same pre-req science courses at (UCF, Valenica CC, Seminole State College in the Central Florida area). Any ideas? Thanks!

Can you folks provide some factual data explaining why taking pre-reqs at a CC is worse than a 4 year institution? Is Physics I different at CC X than University Y? If both the CC and 4 year university hold the same regional accreditation standards, why would they be any different? I know several full time and adjunct instructors who teach at several different schools and use the same textbook to teach the same pre-req science courses at (UCF, Valenica CC, Seminole State College in the Central Florida area). Any ideas? Thanks!
I think it's just a matter of perception on the part (possibly) of admissions committees. Although, every med school that I've called has said that they fully accept CC credits as long as the school is accredited.

Just make sure you take your other science classes at your university AND also do good in those. It's not good to see As in classes you've taken at a community college but Cs on science classes you took at your university. Prove them adcom that you can handle the stress of school. :)

I think it really depends on the situation. If you are a traditional student, if you take all the required classes at CC and then take basket weaving for the rest of your courses at a 4 year college, it may hurt you, but nobody really knows for sure.

As a postbac student, I have not heard of anyone not getting acceptances to schools because they took the remaining prereqs at CC.

The MCAT is the equalizer. If you take your courses at Yale and get a 20 on the MCAT the admissions people are not going to be impressed, but the person who took the same classes at CC and scored a 30+ will impress them.