Community College...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawkNelson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I live in Washington State, and there's a program here called Running Start, where you can take college in high school (in Junior/Senior year) and I am enrolled to take this at a community college next year. I am going to graduate from HS with my Associates of Arts degree and hopefully transfer it over to UW, Gonzaga, or WSU (my last resort for college is WSU). I've talked with my counselor and basically depending on my major, which will likely be Bio, I will start college in Junior standing and graduate from college two years out of high school (as long as my AA degree transfers over). My question is, will Dental schools look down on my two years of Community College courses? Will it drastically hurt my chances of acceptance, or only by a little, or not at all? I'm wandering because I know people look down on CC's because their "easier" than a Universities standards. I'm not going to take any Dental school pre-reqs at the CC, as I am sure that will definitely hurt my chances.

Also, is the University of Washington's Dental school really hard to get in to? I admire UW, and hope to go there for Undergrad/Grad school.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. For some schools it won't matter that much. I did quite a few pre-reqs at CC, and I still had a good chance. Rock the DAT and the CC will matter less.
Good luck with everything!

Hi. I live in Washington State, and there's a program here called Running Start, where you can take college in high school (in Junior/Senior year) and I am enrolled to take this at a community college next year. I am going to graduate from HS with my Associates of Arts degree and hopefully transfer it over to UW, Gonzaga, or WSU (my last resort for college is WSU). I've talked with my counselor and basically depending on my major, which will likely be Bio, I will start college in Junior standing and graduate from college two years out of high school (as long as my AA degree transfers over). My question is, will Dental schools look down on my two years of Community College courses? Will it drastically hurt my chances of acceptance, or only by a little, or not at all? I'm wandering because I know people look down on CC's because their "easier" than a Universities standards. I'm not going to take any Dental school pre-reqs at the CC, as I am sure that will definitely hurt my chances.

Also, is the University of Washington's Dental school really hard to get in to? I admire UW, and hope to go there for Undergrad/Grad school.

I took my first two years at a CC. Did not seem to hurt me (though I did not get into UW lol). Also, yes, UW is really tough to get into. As long as you take your prereqs at a university, there should be no problem at all :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Washington use to confuse the hell out of me...

WU
UW
WSU

?!!??! Seriously, couldn't they have come up with better names...

I took my first two years at a CC. Did not seem to hurt me (though I did not get into UW lol). Also, yes, UW is really tough to get into. As long as you take your prereqs at a university, there should be no problem at all :thumbup:

Thanks. And were any of the CC classes you took pre reqs?

Washington use to confuse the hell out of me...

WU
UW
WSU

?!!??! Seriously, couldn't they have come up with better names...

Yeah. I know. But once you remember them, it's just that UW is a top school, WSU's the party school. It seems everyone gets in WSU.

It depends on the school. For some schools it won't matter that much. I did quite a few pre-reqs at CC, and I still had a good chance. Rock the DAT and the CC will matter less.
Good luck with everything!

So you still made it in Dental school with pre reqs from a CC? Was it on your first try?

Wow. Good for you. :D I always hear about how much more difficult it is with your pre reqs from a CC to get into any Dental school.

I did the CC credit as an advanced placement in high school. I still went to 4 years at a University. Maybe that's why.

So is what you did, somewhat similar to what I plan on doing? Taking CC classes my junior + senior year and getting my first two years of undergrad out of the way, than transferring to a University for the last two?

Anyways, thanks for all the info.

So is what you did, somewhat similar to what I plan on doing? Taking CC classes my junior + senior year and getting my first two years of undergrad out of the way, than transferring to a University for the last two?

Anyways, thanks for all the info.

Yes similar. I did the CC classes in my junior+senior years. But I didn't get an Associates degree like you will. I also did 4 full years at the University to get a BS. I could have had 1 year out of the way, but I didn't organize my time well.

Yes similar. I did the CC classes in my junior+senior years. But I didn't get an Associates degree like you will. I also did 4 full years at the University to get a BS. I could have had 1 year out of the way, but I didn't organize my time well.

That's awesome. Thanks for the info.