Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRNontrad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"The admissions committee does not consider highly those applicants who have been enrolled for more than one-third of coursework (both general and required courses) in community colleges or junior colleges. Grades of B or better are expected in prerequisite courses."

Is this standard? I have an my Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts - Social Sciences from Community College with credits totaling 64 before i transferred to my current 4 year college.

I know this is just one school, but am I going to be disregarded from all/most dental schools even if I complete my per-requisites at a 4 year college?? I specifically took 2 years to complete my gen. eds at CC because I work full time while im in school full time so I am very poor, and my financial aid covered the entire cost of attendance.

Please give me realistic, yet reassuring advice that I am not going to be weeded out from dental school because of my choice of schools.

Members don't see this ad.

"The admissions committee does not consider highly those applicants who have been enrolled for more than one-third of coursework (both general and required courses) in community colleges or junior colleges. Grades of B or better are expected in prerequisite courses."

Is this standard? I have an my Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts - Social Sciences from Community College with credits totaling 64 before i transferred to my current 4 year college.

I know this is just one school, but am I going to be disregarded from all/most dental schools even if I complete my per-requisites at a 4 year college?? I specifically took 2 years to complete my gen. eds at CC because I work full time while im in school full time so I am very poor, and my financial aid covered the entire cost of attendance.

Please give me realistic, yet reassuring advice that I am not going to be weeded out from dental school because of my choice of schools.
You'll have to rock everything else to even be considered for interview. It matters more than people make it out to. I was first batch and have no interviews and I'm pretty sure it's because of the amount of time I spent at a CC. You have a fine chance still, so just keep looking forward, not back.

I have an AA in general studies. I unfortunately did not know what I wanted to do with my life and my family pressured me to attend college. I didn't care about school and received Cs in ENC 1101 and 1102. With a couple of other Cs in my first year. Now that I have said that I am sitting here with 4 interviews and no rejections. Good luck and everyone's situation is different and I believe you can have a solid application with gen eds from a CC. Especially if you have received a B or above. But, keep in mind having dental school pre reqs from a CC might disqualify you from a couple schools right off the bat.

Members don't see this ad :)
It matter but not that much. There are a couple of schools (Temple and Tufts come to mind) that I would not even apply to with cc credits. I had 90ish credits (3 years) from a cc and I have 5 interviews so far. All of my prereqs (except english and math) where done at a 4 year and I did very well in them.

For most schools I don't think cc credits will hurt you as long as you do good at your 4 year school.

Good luck.

Ok as for the the schools that don't accept CC credits here they are....

No CC for Prereqs... Electives from CC are ok:
Boston
Creighton
Ohio State
Temple

No CC period:
Tufts
Nebraska
Howard (However, some posters on this board have gotten in with CC credits)

This is according to DocToothaches chart: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335 which is based on the ADEA guide.

These are not hard and fast rules... there are always exceptions. But for the most part they hold strong.

The DAT is the master equalizer, rock it and you should be fine.

I think Temple may take CC prereqs. Their website just says that all prereqs need to be from an accredited college or university (most CCs are accredited).

Thanks for the replies. The above quote was taken from Temple's website so they don't want more than 40ish credits from CC. This basically means I can't be seriously considered for their school.

Real shame because I worked my tail off getting my A's there. I wont be taking the DAT until next year I am just planning ahead and this came as a shock that even though i took -0- pre-reqs at my CC I should just forget applying there OR tufts OR howard (these 3 would have been on my lift for sure until now).

Wait now I am confused :confused: so you guys are saying that Dental school won't consider you if you have over 40 crds at CC? I graduated from AA with 84 crds..?? so that is Not good? i transferred 60 of those towards my BS. ( all pre-req at 4 years).....

Wait now I am confused :confused: so you guys are saying that Dental school won't consider you if you have over 40 crds at CC? I graduated from AA with 84 crds..?? so that is Not good? i transferred 60 of those towards my BS. ( all pre-req at 4 years).....

He was talking only about Temple.

My list above are the only schools that won't accept CC... the rest you should be fine with!

Not to derail my original thread, but can I take pre-reqs during the summer at a 4 year university?

Tufts takes cc credit

From tufts website:

Q. I have completed some of the Tufts pre-requisite courses at a Community College. Will these credits fulfill your requirements?

A. Unfortunately, all pre-requisite coursework must be completed at an accredited 4 year college or university. Applicants who have received community college credits must either retake those courses at a four year institution or take an equal number of credits in upper level coursework in the same discipline at a four year institution.

I don't know about non=prereq courses

From tufts website:

Q. I have completed some of the Tufts pre-requisite courses at a Community College. Will these credits fulfill your requirements?

A. Unfortunately, all pre-requisite coursework must be completed at an accredited 4 year college or university. Applicants who have received community college credits must either retake those courses at a four year institution or take an equal number of credits in upper level coursework in the same discipline at a four year institution.

I don't know about non=prereq courses

Right, so they do accept cc work. Its okay, for example, if you took gen chem at a cc, as long as you took ochem at 4yr.

Right, so they do accept cc work. Its okay, for example, if you took gen chem at a cc, as long as you took ochem at 4yr.

Not quite... Ochem is generally not upper division.

Better example would be: you took 2 semesters of gen chem and 2 semesters of ochem and a cc... so you would have to take 2 semesters of biochem and 2 semesters of pchem to overshadowed it.

In another part of their website it says:

"Please note: Labs are required for all science courses, except Biochemistry, where applicable (lab only required for Biochemistry if it is a required part of the course at the university at which it is completed). All pre-requisite coursework must be completed at an accredited 4 year college/university. Community college coursework is not accepted."

Tufts has never been big on cc... a very slim shot. http://dental.tufts.edu/admissions/dmd-program/#academic

Ok as for the the schools that don't accept CC credits here they are....

No CC for Prereqs... Electives from CC are ok:
Boston
Creighton
Ohio State
Temple

No CC period:
Tufts
Nebraska
Howard (However, some posters on this board have gotten in with CC credits)

This is according to DocToothaches chart: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335 which is based on the ADEA guide.

These are not hard and fast rules... there are always exceptions. But for the most part they hold strong.

The DAT is the master equalizer, rock it and you should be fine.

This isn't quite right. Nebraska says on their website they accept cc credits. My bro is there right now and did 2 years cc and I interviewed a couple weeks ago with only two semesters from a university.

Creighton also accepts cc credits.