community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scota

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took one year of bio at a CC. Got B in one semester, A in the other (each 5 semester units). Do you think adcoms will frown at this? What if I score a 10+ in the bio. section of the MCAT? Will it be overlooked then? I'm going to start taking classes at a state college, so I don't know if I should retake the bio classes. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

dont retake the classes. i mean its not like you are taking every single prereq at the cc.

i wouldnt worry too much about it. a lot of applicants do take some classes at a cc because its convenient for them over the summer break or for whatever reason they did it for.

doing well on the mcat will only show them that they have no reason to doubt your skills.

you should be fine man. good luck.

I took two full years at a CC. Had a C+ in intro bio and other "unmentionables". Do they care?

The short answer is, kindof., but not in a major way.

It didn't stop me from being offered interviews at Columbia, Jefferson, OHSU, Einstein, UVM, GWU, Albany, Drexel, and NYMC. No rejections; the acceptances are now rolling in.

I did, however, have to show that I wasn't going to a CC for easy "A"s. I think it helped that my upper division work was outstanding and my MCATs were reasonable. I've also got a resume that reads like one of those movies about new deal heroes, who saved the world in WWII, eradicated smallpox, and created the American dream. I needed an excuse to have gone to CC, though. For me, it was that I worked full time to support my widowed mother and her 6 kids. After explaining that, they left me alone.

Just do your best, do what you love, work hard, and you'll be a damned good doctor in a few years.

Thanks! Those posts made me feel a lot better :).