Community Pharmacy PGY-1 Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiestychix03

Is it over yet?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently looking into many options of my future pharmacy career and I recently have been hearing about community pharmacy residencies but don't know a whole lot about them. Where do pharmacist work after completing this? Is it worth doing? Any advice from current or past community residents? I would appreciate it thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

The ones I've seen deal with MTM and compounding. Depends on whether or not you think those areas are interesting to you.

In my COP state I have also seen the residents go on to 1) take a job as a pharmacist in an independent pharmacy (since a lot of our community sites are in indies) and 2) go on to do PGY-2 in am care (at least a couple of people in this year's residency class).

Members don't see this ad :)
The ones I have seen end up working at a retail pharmacy as staff or manager.

Thank you all so far for the honest feeback, I'll research more into this area but are still mainly interested in clinical pharmacy and going through ASHP residencies. :)

I did a community pharmacy/ambulatory care residency. Also have an MBA. I considered going on to do a PGY2 in ambulatory care but decided against it. After residency, I was offered jobs in academia (ambulatory care clinic), district clinical coordinator for a retail chain, clinical director at a MTM company (after about 6 months of my current job), and the job I took post-residency where I still am: pharmacy manager at a pharmacy inside a community health center, focusing in HIV care. Also have some responsibility for being the "clinical contact" person for MTM for the area pharmacies. LOVE my job. Perfect fit for me.

The best advice I have about community residencies is that they are all different with different focuses. Mine focused on ambulatory care, specialty pharmacy, and teaching. Some are heavy on MTM/immunizations/compounding/ownership etc. If you are interested in working in an out-pt setting, check them out. But no two are alike - so do your homework!!! If you think you want to practice in a hospital or in-patient environment, run away from community residencies! There are some that have a decent component of transitional care from in to out-pt, but this is still very different than in-pt residencies.

I'm just finishing my community pharmacy/ambulatory care residency.

I got offers from chain retail (PIC) and a start up vet meds mail order pharmacy (PIC). I accepted a part time teaching position and will be doing that + focusing on my MTM business that I founded during residency.

A lot of community residencies are jointly accredited by ASHP/APHA, but if you want hospital in-patient work, they are NOT the way to go and should not be considered a back up plan.

Awesome you ladies have been of great help ! I definitely enjoy the community aspect of pharmacy too and currently intern for rite aid pharmacy but just didn't know all the possibilities of community residencies. This has been very helpful too me and I will definitely consider going into this area !