Community Service Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple questions about community service.

1) How many hours should one complete while volunteering at a hospital? By the time I apply I will have spent 1 school year volunteering at my local hospital. I will probably have around 60 hours completed. I also have some hours from other places like a senior's program and athletic therapy camp. In total I will have a max of around 150 hours of community service. Is this enough? How does this stack up with others??

2) I started volunteering in the senior's home in high school and continued into freshman year. I don't think the people who work there remember me now (3 years later). Also, I'm not even sure if it's the same people still working there. I know the volunteer coordinator hasn't changed. Should I go back and do some more hours (which honestly I'm not really interested in) or just talk with the coordinator. I don't want an LOR from this place but I'm assuming I will need them to verify my service there???

Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Who cares about the number of hours, the only reason they ask for avg hours/week etc is to evaluate your committment, IE 1 hr/month << 5 hrs/week for 3 years with an organization.

That said, I just multiplied out my hrs/week over the time period I was involved in a couple activities and came up with:

~360 hours volunteering in hospital (remote hospital with underserved)
~240 hours volunteering with the student group I am a part of

Before you asked, I had never even thought to figure out the total hours volunteered... it really doesn't matter.