Community Service Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LucidEyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if optometry schools look for applicants with community service hours as much as premed or dental schools do? I just wanted to ask because so far I haven't heard of the schools asking for much in this area. I think they find that it is most important to have hours shadowing an optometrist. What is your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience last year, I didn't have any of the schools specifically ask about my community service hours. I did however have quite a bit on my resume from coaching and volunteering at the hospital. It seemed to me that the schools I applied to were much more interested in my shadowing hours and my job at an optometry office. I would recommend getting a job at an optometry office, even working reception. It gives you so much perspective and alot of talk about at an interview.

Does anyone know if optometry schools look for applicants with community service hours as much as premed or dental schools do? I just wanted to ask because so far I haven't heard of the schools asking for much in this area. I think they find that it is most important to have hours shadowing an optometrist. What is your opinion?

To my knowledge, there aren't any optometry schools that specifically look at community service hours as a requirement to be considered or admitted into the class. Those activities help to make your application more balanced, but the presence or lack of those hours on their own won't make or break you.

Most importantly, don't just do it because it would look good on an application or resume. Do it because it is something that actually has meaning for you. (I recognize that many people do it for the "padding" and end up really liking it - which is good too.)

Members don't see this ad :)
A representative from SUNY came and talked to our pre-opt club and said that volunteering is a very good thing to have on your resume. (Of course, you probably already know that) However, he said that he doesn't want to be given a list of different and random events that you've volunteered for. Instead, he says that colleges like to see people volunteering for certain places or for certain things over a period of time, ie. hospitals, tutoring, etc. It gives you something to talk about and shows your devotion to what you care about. Caring about people is a quality you should have if you're going into a health profession!

I'm wondering how I can use my current profession as an advantage to applying to schools. Graduating last year with my bachelor's and a specialty, I currently work at a major hospital as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist running all the major portions of blood workups for patients though I don't have any direct contact with them. It is an interesting job, I enjoy what I do and is a good source of income right now.

I work full time so it is very hard for me to get volunteer hours on top of going to school part time and shadowing optometrists. Is there any other way to use this to my advantage during admissions? I was thinking of research opportunities in the field but are there many opportunities out there for optometrists and research/lab studies? I have volunteered many hours in the past but don't have many recent activities. Maybe this can boost my chances with my lack of recent volunteer hours.