Community Service Oriented Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lola2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I understand every school wants to see community service from their applicants. However, the biggest strengths of my application are clearly clinical experience and community service/volunteerism. I'm planning on applying this summer and want to research schools that would most appreciate this. My stats are nothing special...just about average. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Georgetown really pushes their students to be involved in all sorts of community service. I am not sure how much emphasis they put on seeing it reflected in applications though.

Albert Einstein, UC Davis, GWU

Members don't see this ad :)
Mount Sinai seems to strongly encourage its students to volunteer; they gave numbers that a very high proportion of the student body does so. Not to mention, they are very proud of their free clinic for low income residents, the EHHOP, as being one of the best in the nation.

Rochester (won an award for community outreach programs), MCW (won an award for community outreach programs), UC San Diego runs a pretty cool network of free clinics

Thank you to all who replied. :) I have been going on to school's websites, and I have added schools that are in line with my experience and goals. I was hoping that maybe those who have interviewed already could give me some additional insight.

Thank you to all who replied. :) I have been going on to school's websites, and I have added schools that are in line with my experience and goals. I was hoping that maybe those who have interviewed already could give me some additional insight.

to which schools are you looking to apply. I had to do some digging to find info on schools but I can post what I found for schools.

let me know

here's what I found for volunteer research info for MCW for instance:

Volunteer & Research Opportunities: School seems very clinically oriented…and thus maintains a vast array of many clinically based outreach programs and has developed many community partnership initiatives. This school has in fact won several awards for the partnerships they have established (pretty awesome…kudos in my book). Partnerships serve as the cornerstone of community and public health at MCW…Community partnerships are organized into 5 categories: MCW Departmental Centers and Collaborative Programs, Community Clinics, Community Engagement in Translational Research, Healthier Wisconsin Partnership Program (HWPP), and Healthier Wisconsin Leadership Institute (HWLI)…MCW Departmental Centers and Collaborative Programs (I won't comment on all just a few): Center for the Advancement of Underserved Children – Awesome center and right up my alley…center encompasses research projects, clinical programs, educational initiatives, and advocacy work…goal is to improve the health and well being of underserved children….has developed a few initiatives with community partners, such as La Causa, La Casa de Esperanza, The Boys and Girls Club of America, Milwaukee SCORES, etc…; Center for AIDS and Intervention Research – cool, I am doing research in this area right now; Center for Healthy Communities – Mission: Health promotion and education in communities, research and evaluation on community identified needs, and community-responsive education for medical students and residents, Goals: Develop, implement, and sustain community-academic partnerships that promote health, Conduct and disseminate research to address community-identified health needs that includes a participatory model, Conduct research that can influence and inform health policy and advocacy activities, Integrate principles and practices of community health and community-academic partnerships into the Medical College of Wisconsin, and Integrate principles and practices of community health and community-academic partnerships into the Medical College of Wisconsin…also has implemented major initiatives and developed several partnerships with community organizations; Center for Science, Health and Society; Injury Research Center; Special Pediatrics Programs….Community Clinics: Downtown Health Center; Hypertension, Elevated Lipids and Diabetes (HELD) Screening Venue - traveling screening clinic that sets up once a week at one of the Milwaukee Public Housing Sites. They screen all people interested in having their risk for cardiovascular disease assessed by taking a brief family history, social and dietary history…take a blood pressure, blood sugar and blood total cholesterol; all of these factors are then combined to assess each individual's risk for cardiovascular diseases. Each student doctor will see a patient through the entire process…cool that med students play significant role in this community clinic initiative…clinic in operation 3 weekends per month, MCW/Westside Healthcare Inc. Project – joint initiative created to continue providing clinical services to inner-city services; MCW/Milwaukee County GAMP Primary Care Partnership; Saturday Clinic for the Uninsured – goals: 1)provide quality health care for our patients, 2) provide a community-based, educational experience for undergraduate medical students, 3) work with community partners and underserved providers to integrate services, and 4) increase awareness of health policy issues surrounding the uninsured and underinsured in the community….students are heavily involved in this clinic…clinic has won awards for service provided…Community Engagement in Translational Research: NIH funded research…research based on four principles: 1. Collaboration, 2. Education, 3. Facilitation, 4. Transformation…HWPP: pretty obvious (see above for acronym meaning)…Receives decent amount of funding…either through developmental awards or impact awards….HWLI: continuing education and training resource for leaders in healthcare and community related activities. Several student organizations heavily involved in coordinating volunteer. Awesome opportunities overall!!!! Other community outreach programs include summer enrichment programs (AIM and MSRTP), and programs sponsored by SNMA and LaRAMA. Research: formal and informal research opportunities…but I must say that this is not a very research oriented school (not to say that great research is not being conducted here)…in addition to the "Extended Curriculum (Research Honors Program)" option for pursuing research opportunities, students can participate in summer externships: students can participate in this during the summer after the first year…non-credit experience in either basic science research or in a clinical area of medicine….Medical Student Summer Research Program: allows students to explore careers in cutting edge biomedical research and academic medicine, gain research tools applicable to clinical practice, add distinction to your medical school CV, develop mentoring associations with faculty preceptors…Is an 8 to 12 week summer research fellowship program available to M1's, M2's, and early decision entering M1's who wish to participate in an intensive, hands-on research experience in one of the many outstanding biomedical or clinical research laboratories of faculty investigators at the Medical College of Wisconsin. Students are integrated into the laboratory environment and actively participate as members of the research team, under the supervision of faculty preceptors…this program is geared towards students who have little to no prior research experience (cool)…students receive a monthly stipend of $1700 through a T-35 Training Grant from National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) and a R-25 grant from the National Cancer Institute (NCI). As part of fellowship students attend enrichment seminars, create and present a poster for end of fellowship poster sessions, and they write an abstract of their research…participation in program can lead to an "Honors in Research Distinction" if at least 16 weeks of lab research and complete a research thesis by 1st semester of the M4 year…MCW has several federally designated research centers, including and AIDS Intervention Research Center…and some institutes…I see no mention of Howard Hughes though (yeah that's a big research institute)…state of the art research facilities (though not as extensive as some other schools)…over past 9 years NIH research funding has increased by approximately 232.2%...MCW is consistently adding to its research facilities: opened a new Biomedical Research Building and children's Research Institute facility, cancer pavilion, addition to the Blood Center of Wisconsin's Blood Research Institute. Total NIH Funding: $84,030,609 (rank: 46th), Total NIH funding for research: $81,206,791.
Score: 11.75

Jefferson and Boston U are very much so community service oriented.

all of the Jesuit schools are service oriented: Creighton, Georgetown, Loyola, SLU

I've specifically heard that Mayo and Stanford will reject you if you lack non-clinical volunteer experience. The Mayo comment came from an SDN member who got post-application feedback. The Stanford comment came from a person who used to work in the admissions office.