Community service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rafael Cavalcan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just a couple questions concerning community service. When I start doing some community service do I need any proof that I did it? Is there any kind of formal paper that you need for that? Or you just do it and say you did it? Cause I was thinking about doing some community service in my homecountry? Do med school still consider this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not aware of any school that requires proff. However, AMCAS does ask for a contact person's name, position, phone number, address, etc. This was a bit diffiucult for me, since my direct contact at one place has since moved on. So instead I just gave the name of the CEO.

So go to your home country, do great work, and just make sure to get contact info on your supervisor, and maybe the head of the program.

I just had a meeting with my advisor and she wants me to do some community service (her suggestions were "tutor or coach little league"). My question is how does this look any better than volunteer hours? If this is really a necessity does anybody have ideas for community service?

I've done over 200 hours of volunteering at a hospital, over 150 at a labor and deliver ward for an indigent population, I'm on my way to 100s of hours doing bench top research in a bio lab and I'm currently doing clinical research hours. All as volunteer work. How is this not considered community service? And how would community service add to this, I don't really feel that volunteering at an animal shelter or something shows my interest in the medical field. And if it is about supporting your community, than how does volunteering at a hospital not look like serving the community?