commute or live at home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treesandoceans

Reaction score
M1. I am fortunate enough to go to school a commute away from home (30-45 min depending on traffic). Was thinking of getting an apartment close to campus so I can meet people, start building a life, study there, and be ready when school does open. It is in a city so rent is 1000 min. With the pandemic, we only have about half our curriculum in person and the library and such is not open to studying in. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on getting the apartment or living at home with family.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I always stand with the “do what helps you in school” choice. My family does not understand medical school rigor. They get into shouting matches over the phone for work....Dogs bark at the wind...the quiet consideration for my study time lasted about a week when I came home for the pandemic. I would’ve gotten an apartment if my school was across the street money be damned (libraries don’t do it for me for some reason). But if yours are capable of accommodating, that would be a not insignificant amount of money you would save.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would balance three things: 1) grades, 2) cost, 3) mental health.

Whichever gives you the best balance of those is what you should do. I would also not be afraid to spend a little more money for an apartment if it means better grades and mental health/friendships. But I promise you can connect with classmates and live at home. Happened a lot in my class.

Reactions: 3 users
I think with an online curriculum and the closure of public spaces, I don't necessarily think you would be missing out a ton on the social aspect of medical school by commuting from home initially. Once things open up again, I could definitely see the benefits of living close to school being more worth it.

At the end of the day, go with your gut and with what you feel most comfortable with.

For my recent situation, I considered living somewhere ~$250 cheaper a month, but the new place was a bit further from the campus and represented a pretty noticeable drop in quality. Even though the new apartment technically would've been tolerable in quarantine, I just wasn't feeling it and opted to stay at my current place. No regrets so far.

You're going to be going who-knows-where for residency. I moved but I can't say I've 'built a life' in the area around my school. But if you want to stay in that locality you may as well.

It comes down to your home life and what you want out of your young adulthood:

1) Is it quiet or do you have lots of drama and loud teenaged siblings? If your parents are the type to drive you to interviews and would do what it takes to get you through school... stay home. If your parents don't get the toll it takes then get out.

2) Are you, as a young adult, eager to have your own space? Wanting to get away from mom and dad and have your own style, own rules, and feel like a big kid when you go on dates is totally reasonable. These years are valuable.

3) Are you short on money?