Commuting to Elmhurst Hosp (Queens) from Long Island?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goosequacks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just matched to a prelim-medicine year at Mt. Sinai/Elmhurst Hospital in Queens NY! :)

My folks live in Long Island (Hicksville- it's exit 41S) and I'm debating whether I can commute from home my intern year, or if I should get an apt in Queens.

My folks refuse to give an opinion and say to just do what I need to do... I'd obviously much rather save the money and hassle of setting up shop for 1 year in Queens (I'm headed to Miami afterwards :)) but I also don't want to fall asleep behind the wheel on the LIE...

Thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I did prelim there 2002/2003. I lived in Forest Hills and took the E or F (my preference was the E) train in. There wasn't hospital parking when I was there.

Looking at the schedule, you could take the LIRR from Hicksville to Jamaica Station, then, there, pick up the E train, and that takes you to 2 blocks from Elmhurst.

The schedule says 19-27 minutes on the LIRR (which means you won't have to change trains), and 21-25 minutes to return - but last train leaves Jamaica Station at 11:37pm.

The train may be the best/most efficient way to go.

I did prelim there 2002/2003. I lived in Forest Hills and took the E or F (my preference was the E) train in. There wasn't hospital parking when I was there.

Looking at the schedule, you could take the LIRR from Hicksville to Jamaica Station, then, there, pick up the E train, and that takes you to 2 blocks from Elmhurst.

The schedule says 19-27 minutes on the LIRR (which means you won't have to change trains), and 21-25 minutes to return - but last train leaves Jamaica Station at 11:37pm.

Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply! It means a lot!

I never thought of taking the train... assumed driving was my only option. I'll have to give that route a try when I go back home and see how it works out...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply! It means a lot!

I never thought of taking the train... assumed driving was my only option. I'll have to give that route a try when I go back home and see how it works out...

Most of the time, driving will be insane. If you have a shift (and since you're only doing internship there, every day will be considered a shift under the new duty hour rules) that ends within 2 hours of the last train, assume you won't be able to take it and will need to drive (or sleep in the hospital). On days where you can reasonably expect to arrive at the hospital at 6am or later and depart before 10pm, the train will be fine (and preferred).

Have you spoken with Dr. Masci or Lieber about the change in schedules? They were waiting on Sinai scheduling efore they could finalize their own. This will play into your traveling back and forth too.

Have you spoken with Dr. Masci or Lieber about the change in schedules? They were waiting on Sinai scheduling efore they could finalize their own. This will play into your traveling back and forth too.

How do you figure? Unless things have changed, Elmhurst prelims don't rotate at Mt. Sinai (categorical interns only). And, even so, why would it matter?

(And what happened to Rand David? I would say what I think of him, but I wouldn't want one of our Kool-Aid drinking mods to pitch a fit. Is it still a TOS violation if the person about whom is spoken isn't an SDNer?)

if you consider there are many many many people who drive into the city from further out east. hicksville elmhurst commute is a nothing commute. unless of course you go at 8 am. I would do it for sure no problem

How did you like Elmhurst?