COMP 2ndary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fadedrebel

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm doing the horrendously long COMP secondary and I come across questions regarding teaching experience, volunteer experience and shadowing doctors... much to my dismay, they ask for the total number of hours... ok, here are my questions:

1) do the adcoms only want to know about post high school experiences... and if so, does the summer between college and high school count as "high school"?

2) For teaching experience, can i put down tutoring?

3) I shadowed my uncle for like a weekend only (probably 4 hours total max), how much experience do people normally have, and is it necessary for admission (ie- highly unfavorable if not done)

4) I belong to a service fraternity and we do various services but nothing consistent... how would i total up the hours for this?

5) do you like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches?

ok, that is all. thanks in advanced... good luck to you all.. i know i need it...

Members don't see this ad.

i like pb and j, so long as the pb is chunky!

Im in a similar situation with the other stuff. I wont have any teaching experience till next semester when I get to be a TA in a biology course. The only doctor Ive kinda shadowed was my father a long time ago. I spent my time looking for some DO in my area today to see if I can shadow some of them in the next few weeks. Before now I had only spent an hour or so talking with one over coffee last spring.

I'll give you my opinions

I would include any experiences, even grade school

I put down tutoring for mine

I would increase the number of hours you shadowed your uncle to at least 20.

For your service fraternity, make it up.

I love pb and j

Good luck

I'd only put experiences during college...so I guess I wouldn't have put anything between college and HS, unless of course it was an experience that played a significant part in your motivation to become a physician.

I didn't put any teaching experience down, but if I were you, I would include tutoring.

I wouldn't lie about hours with shadowing with your uncle. During my interview all they did was drill me about things in my application, besides, 4hours is better than no exposure to the field. And well, I guess I just wouldn't lie about it. Besides, aren't you supposed to have a LOR from an MD or DO?

For your service hrs, I'd estimate total hrs and group them together as one experience. Just summarize what you all did. Of course, if there was one activity that was more significant, then I would highlight that.

Love PB&J....chunky fan, too!

Good luck! I've been accepted to COMP and from my experience with the college, they're jsut looking for people who are genuinely interested and passionate about osteopathic medicine. So, if you're just honest with your motivation, you'll be fine.