COMP Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi moose! textbook list can be found on banweb...just follow the links as if you were going to register and under the BEGIN REGISTRATION button you'll see a link to westernu's online bookstore. at the upper left of their page is a menu. select Westernu 063 on the top menu (only choice) and medstudent 1 on the bottom menu (assuming that's what you are). that'll take you to the list. hope that helps.

andy

ps onmywaythere's advice is good, i'd wait to find out which books are a necessity and not spend $1200 buying every book.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks a lot for the info peeps - that was quick! I just like to know ahead of time so I can order online for cheaper and have time to have them shipped....

Hi,

Does anyone know the dress code for the orientation ? Is it formal like the interview day ? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
NewNick said:
Hi,

Does anyone know the dress code for the orientation ? Is it formal like the interview day ? Thanks.

It says it's business casual for the most part but on Aug 9th we need a change of clothes for the OMM exam.

Furnished 2-story condo master bedroom available for sublet (13 minutes to school and in beautiful Claremont).
Dates avaiable: 8.21-9.15

# of Bed Rooms 1 Private
# of Bathrooms 1 Private
Monthly Rent 633
Deposit 100
Address 755 Lander Circle Claremont CA
Pool, spa, fully furnished with queen bed, desk, bureau, nightstand, lighting, ridiculous closet space, etc.
Contact Name Marty Wesolowski
Contact Email [email protected]
Contact Phone 4132651710

Hey there! Quick question...are there any festivities that we need to attend prior to August 9th? I know the pharm school starts orientation on the 7th and was wondering if anything else fun/interesting would be going on on Mon or Tues. Also, did anyone receive their White Coat Ceremony tickets yet? I RSVPed a while back and am still waiting for them.

I hope you all have a great rest of the weekend and are excited to start soon! :)

Dr. K said:
Also, did anyone receive their White Coat Ceremony tickets yet? I RSVPed a while back and am still waiting for them.

Haven't received mine either (or my name badge that we are supposed to bring with us to the ceremony)

Anyone else?

cyclohexanol said:
Haven't received mine either (or my name badge that we are supposed to bring with us to the ceremony)

Anyone else?

no tickets here either, but I thought the badge will come with the orientation package that we gonna pick up Wednesday morning....

I'm Here!!!!!!

What a long drive. I hope one of those second years can do something for my upper back during the OMM physical :laugh:

So, what's the next get together?

I'm living at The Claremont, in Claremont, and so far it seems really cool. Nice pool area out back. Going to ride my bicycle around town tomorrow to check it out.

Red

hey everyone - so i've been in the Helix for a good month now and i've been hangin out with 5 or 6 of our DO classmates! everyone is pretty much awesome. I just finally realized there are more of us at the Helix. I Met Angelica today in the study rooom and we went to IHOPS with my roomate and one of my other friends. She said she hung out with a few of you recently. Is anyone down for another meet/greet/dinner/drink extravaganza before orientation wednesday morning? we could do something today later or tuesday early evening, or even in the night (it sucks we have to be there by 8 am wed. though so probably nothing too late). anyways, let me know im in the helix apt 203!

kdkdshah said:
hey everyone - so i've been in the Helix for a good month now and i've been hangin out with 5 or 6 of our DO classmates! everyone is pretty much awesome. I just finally realized there are more of us at the Helix. I Met Angelica today in the study rooom and we went to IHOPS with my roomate and one of my other friends. She said she hung out with a few of you recently. Is anyone down for another meet/greet/dinner/drink extravaganza before orientation wednesday morning? we could do something today later or tuesday early evening, or even in the night (it sucks we have to be there by 8 am wed. though so probably nothing too late). anyways, let me know im in the helix apt 203!

PM me if you plan to meet on Tues. I don't think that I can meet today because I need to take care of my traffic bill and go to the traffic school. Sucks. The freaking camera had no mercy.

NewNick said:
PM me if you plan to meet on Tues. I don't think that I can meet today because I need to take care of my traffic bill and go to the traffic school. Sucks. The freaking camera had no mercy.
208 here, let me know when.....

kdkdshah said:

I'm in for meeting up today. Do people want to meet up at a bar/restaurant? Or at someone's place like at the Helix or the lofts? I'll do whatever. Only two more days of freedom....

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all...angelo's was a pretty good starting point the other evening. what does everyone think of meeting up there this evening? say maybe 7-8ish? let me know.

andy

as, always, please feel free to call: 206 226-1072

lawdawg80 said:
hey all...angelo's was a pretty good starting point the other evening. what does everyone think of meeting up there this evening? say maybe 7-8ish? let me know.

andy

as, always, please feel free to call: 206 226-1072

considering i live right above angelos, that sounds like a great idea. lets say 7 at angelos and then we can decide where to wander after that.

sam
206-390-7397

uwalum said:
considering i live right above angelos, that sounds like a great idea. lets say 7 at angelos and then we can decide where to wander after that.

sam
206-390-7397

yeah, feel free to call me, we can meet up at helix or at angelos, whatever works, i already have plans around dinner time but iw ould be down to hang out or something around helix or we can even go to starbucks or something...hit me up ..559.361.5800

Hey guys:
BBQ at my place tommorrow night. :D

I'll be doin' Korean BBQ (kalbi or bulgogi) so I'll have stuff for that. If you want to bring your own meat, sides, that would be great. I have some beer and Sierra Mist left, but we'll probably need some more drinks... :p

4:30-5pm ish (so we can be all rested for orientation the next day!)
bring your suit and towel, and your appetite!

-Grace
206-228-0749

directions to my place are somewhere on this thread already. Call me if you need help finding the place!

emeraldcity said:
Hey guys:

I'll be doin' Korean BBQ (kalbi or bulgogi) so I'll have stuff for that. If you want to bring your own meat, sides, that would be great. I have some beer and Sierra Mist left, but we'll probably need some more drinks... :p

-Grace
206-228-0749

directions to my place are somewhere on this thread already. Call me if you need help finding the place!

CANNONBALL!!!!!

uwalum said:

sam
206-390-7397
Angelo's burger on W mission? I will see you there..

gogo110182 said:
Angelo's burger on W mission? I will see you there..

actually, no. its on the corner of Second and Garey, a block west of school. call me if you dont know where its at. hope there is a good turnout!

sam

it looks like i'll be able to make it to the bbq tomorrow :)
see you guys soon!

What's going on, people.
I just found this thread, and I just moved into the Helix.

emeraldcity said:
Hey guys:

-Grace
206-228-0749

Hopefully I can make it. Otherwise, please forgive me. :laugh: I just got back from a mission, still need to run around to get ready for school.

poker was a lot of fun..most people are still playin in helix right now..so everyone ready for some bbq tomorrow?

nothing beats an impromptu late night drive-thru mexican food run....nothing

My roommate put together this list for me, it has a bunch of restaurants, stores, and entertainment with little descriptions and ratings. I thought it was really nice and wanted to share it with you all. We live in Claremont, so the list is certainly Claremont-centric.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Restaurants.doc
    45 KB · Views: 173
Hello Everyone!

Hope all had a good day at orientation today:) They gave us a lot of info today, but it was great to get to know more about the school and staff.

I recently moved in to the Helix, but I don't have a car down here yet, so I was wondering if anyone can please give me a ride to the Ice Cream Social tomorrow?? I'm in Group 1 (Letters A-L), so it's at 5:30. Please PM me if you can, and I'll really appreciate it!!

Hello,

I had 2 questions for all those who may still be reading:

1. When do we pick up our ID cards?

2. Is there anyone living in Helix who has an iron and would be willing to lend it to me just so I can iron my white coat. I wanna look purdy tomorrow morning. :)

Thanks

kdkdshah said:
poker was a lot of fun..most people are still playin in helix right now..so everyone ready for some bbq tomorrow?

what poker and I didn't get invited, what's up??!?!?!?!?, :) well I'm glad you guys are getting to know each other and hopefully your class will stay strong throughout the year, I know that mine did and it was a great feeling having that support system and having kickbacks after tests, relaxing, etc.

Good luck to you guys and just remember that the rewards will come later, and your clinical years (3rd and 4th year) will be amazing and definitely worthwhile once you have your basic science foundation down! Back to my patients :cool:

Hey, lurking second years:

When will we need to have the otoscope/opthalmoscope set? First semester?

Thanks!

Red

Red Beard said:
Hey, lurking second years:

When will we need to have the otoscope/opthalmoscope set? First semester?

Thanks!

Red

You'll find out during the ECM course the deadline for when you need to get your equipment. A word of advice, do NOT spend a lot of money on this stuff. Buy cheap and buy used if possible. There are people in my class who managed to survive without buying an otoscope or opthalmoscope. It was only with our class that they have begun to be more strict in terms of buying this. So I can't predict how strict the school will enforce this new policy. Of course you need a good quality stethescope - can't do much without one of those. You'll be spending a lot of money for school and supplies, so spend wisely. Hope that helps. Good luck with the first semester!

Hi guys I was wondering where in the world do i find out about what time a class start and stuff? is it black board? and I was tryin to login to blackboard but after i login it redirects me to banweb. does anybody know why? thanks!

totoro723 said:
Hi guys I was wondering where in the world do i find out about what time a class start and stuff? is it black board? and I was tryin to login to blackboard but after i login it redirects me to banweb. does anybody know why? thanks!

The course schedule should be in your western email inbox. It was mailed by Lara Capuzzi on July 10th if that helps you find it.

Class starts at 9am today. See ya!

Red

Don't know whose still checking this but....

I am planning on driving out to Malibu early Sunday morning to go surfing, if anyone is interested I'd love the company. Its about 1hour 20 minutes to get there, I would like to leave early enough to get in a session and be back in town by 1 or 2pm.

PM me if you'd like to join!

Congrats on finishing your first week of medical school. One down, 15 (?) to go. It'll be winter break before you know it. Best of luck!

Congrats on finishing your first week of medical school. One down, 15 (?) to go. It'll be winter break before you know it. Best of luck!

thanks man! yeah week 3 is a bitch, out first exam is next week too... 19 total weeks but who is counting anyway.

thanks man! yeah week 3 is a bitch, out first exam is next week too... 19 total weeks but who is counting anyway.
Hey, I recognized you from last year. Just wanted to see how your OMSI is going. I got my acceptance to COMP today.

I'm thinking about applying to the Helix. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks!

Hey, I recognized you from last year. Just wanted to see how your OMSI is going. I got my acceptance to COMP today.

I'm thinking about applying to the Helix. Can anyone offer any insight? Thanks!

Hey - first year is sweet. i'm living the dream man. although, at 11pm on fri/sat night when i'm studying it doesn't seem so awesome but it will be worth it.

helix is nice and convenient... but downtown pomona is not the most happening area. I have some friends livnig there and its nice enough but alittel pricey. I live south in chino hills in a house. I think next year i'm going to try to live in clairmont where there is a nice downtown and its not too far from school.

congrats on getting in. let me know if you have any questions.

Hey - first year is sweet. i'm living the dream man. although, at 11pm on fri/sat night when i'm studying it doesn't seem so awesome but it will be worth it.

helix is nice and convenient... but downtown pomona is not the most happening area. I have some friends livnig there and its nice enough but alittel pricey. I live south in chino hills in a house. I think next year i'm going to try to live in clairmont where there is a nice downtown and its not too far from school.

congrats on getting in. let me know if you have any questions.
That's great to hear! I can't wait to be studying at 11pm on fri/sat night.

From what I heard, the Helix is nice and convenient, and costs about the same in the long run when you factor in utilities and gas. I don't think the area will be too much of a determent, but I'll make sure to visit the area to weigh my options if I decide to go to WesternU.

Since you're from the Boston area, how was the move for you? How is the adjustment? I'm from the Boston area also. Thanks.

If anyone would like to offer insight, it'd be great.

Ah, the Boston peeps.

Well, one thing is that you won't be able to get Cain's mayo. Small thing, but my wife is from New England and she went through a little withdrawal but we're okay now. Fresh seafood ... go fish.

Refrigerators. Very few, if any, rental places provide a refrigerator, so you have to rent/buy one when you get here.

If you plan on staying at one place all four years then buying might be a good option, as you might be able to recoup some of your costs by selling when you move after graduation or hauling that bad boy with you.

If you lived anywhere in the metro Boston area, you'll find the rental prices here comparable, if not a bit cheaper. Shocking, I know.

Ah, the Boston peeps.

Well, one thing is that you won't be able to get Cain's mayo. Small thing, but my wife is from New England and she went through a little withdrawal but we're okay now. Fresh seafood ... go fish.

Refrigerators. Very few, if any, rental places provide a refrigerator, so you have to rent/buy one when you get here.

If you plan on staying at one place all four years then buying might be a good option, as you might be able to recoup some of your costs by selling when you move after graduation or hauling that bad boy with you.

If you lived anywhere in the metro Boston area, you'll find the rental prices here comparable, if not a bit cheaper. Shocking, I know.
Yep, a Boston peep here. I'm from the metro Boston area, so I'm used to the exorbitant pricing of housing. I'm actually highly considering the Helix, but I'm sure that I'll come to some conclusion when I visit the school again.

I always thought that Boston had fresh seafood. Have I been disillusioned? :) I'll be sure to ship a fridge or rent/buy one when I'm here, unless I stay at the Helix. Thanks for all the advice.

Yep, a Boston peep here. I'm from the metro Boston area, so I'm used to the exorbitant pricing of housing. I'm actually highly considering the Helix, but I'm sure that I'll come to some conclusion when I visit the school again.

I always thought that Boston had fresh seafood. Have I been disillusioned? :)

Boston *does* have fresh seafood - we miss it terribly.

I always thought that Boston had fresh seafood. Have I been disillusioned? :) I'll be sure to ship a fridge or rent/buy one when I'm here, unless I stay at the Helix. Thanks for all the advice.

So i was looking over your mdapps profile, you're still waiting to hear from alot of places huh? I didn't even know where i was going until june... good for you getting ahead. If you're really into comp, put an app in at the helix and try to reserve it. if you wait it will be full...

good luck with UMASS, i got an interview late and then didn't get in. :(

So i was looking over your mdapps profile, you're still waiting to hear from alot of places huh? I didn't even know where i was going until june... good for you getting ahead. If you're really into comp, put an app in at the helix and try to reserve it. if you wait it will be full...

good luck with UMASS, i got an interview late and then didn't get in. :(
I'm getting a little nervous about the MD schools since they've already begun to interview and I don't have any love from them. However, I am pretty hooked to osteopathic medicine and what it has to offer. Of course I want a choice at the end as to the right school for me, but at this point, I'm ecstatic that I'm going somewhere. I really liked COMP. And I already have an application...like my med apps, I'm on top of things :)

It'd be nice to interview at UMass...let's go!

Hi, I've recently received acceptance to COMP Class of 2011, just wondering if i should submit my application for Helix right now? or is it too early? Also, does anyone know anything about going aboard for rotations during our 4th year? Is it difficult to set up? and would you have to be fluent in medical terminology?