COMP vs. NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnaCarol

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help to decide between NYCOM and COMP, can anybody give me advice? Which one is better and why?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I am a 2nd year at NYCOM. So, you know I am bias. Still, go NYCOM. Here is why....

1. Solid education
2. Awesome rotation
3. Diverse student body
4. NY (you can't beat that....:D
5. 2nd largest medical school in the country....

again, all of these may apply to COMP except the last two.

Thank you for your help, I was more towards NYCOM anyways I just didn't want to rush into the decision without asking for advice.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I say go to COMP. My brother goes to NYCOM and wishes he went to COMP instead, reasons being:

1. Poor education, the professors aren't the brightest, and students pass with minumal effort and many chances to take retakes. Would you want these people as your doctor?
2. Terrible rotations, you get sent to rotations here and there and all over the place. Getting to these places is going to be terrible when living in NY. And nun of them at large major hospitals.
3. Diverse student body, but no class cohesion. Many small cliques at the school. You have jewish kids only interacting with jewish kids, the muslims only with muslims, the russians only with russians, the b.s./d.o. only with bs/do, the old ass forgien MD's with the FMG's.
4. NY is cold as hell right now, it's in the 10-20 degrees F. Ca is in the 70-80 degrees, and CA people are a lot nicer then rude New Yorker with no manners.
5. The Med. School is too large, easy to get lost in large class size of 300 students. The place is just a Diploma mill, if you fail out they don't really care they already got your money. I've heard they don't have enough rotations for all 300 students, so they expect 50 or so not to make it into the 3&4 years.

Chief,

1. Poor education, the professors aren't the brightest, and students pass with minumal effort and many chances to take retakes. Would you want these people as your doctor?

I guess that's why NYCOM sent students to residency at Harvard last year, and Hopkins and CHOP the year before that. Those places will take anybody.

2. Terrible rotations, you get sent to rotations here and there and all over the place. Getting to these places is going to be terrible when living in NY. And nun of them at large major hospitals.

What are you smoking? NYCOMs rotations are probably the best of the D.O. world. Rotations are mandated in some of the same hospitals as NYU, Stonybrook, Downstate, and Yale. North Shore Univ Hospital system, their main clinical affiliate, was voted the best overall hospital system in the country in 2002. They have numerous tertiary care facilities, level I trauma centers, and see more pathology than most medical schools, D.O. or M.D. in the country because of these locations.

3. Diverse student body, but no class cohesion. Many small cliques at the school. You have jewish kids only interacting with jewish kids, the muslims only with muslims, the russians only with russians, the b.s./d.o. only with bs/do, the old ass forgien MD's with the FMG's

Yeah, that's why 150 of us who all hate each other all went to vegas for the AOA convention and had a great time... together. You're a *****. We have the most active student body with the most funding of any D.O. school.

4. NY is cold as hell right now, it's in the 10-20 degrees F. Ca is in the 70-80 degrees, and CA people are a lot nicer then rude New Yorker with no manners.

Well if this post is justification for the polite nature of californians, you have me sold. I mean, that's what you need in becoming a good doctor, 70 degree weather, right?....not a diverse and large patient population or anything. Boston is pretty cold too, did you turn harvard down?

5. The Med. School is too large, easy to get lost in large class size of 300 students. The place is just a Diploma mill, if you fail out they don't really care they already got your money. I've heard they don't have enought rotations for all 300 students, so they expect 50 or so not to make it into the 3&4 years.

Wrong again, bucko. Very few fail out. I'll send you the stats if you'd like. They have plenty of rotations, enough so that most people get one of their top 3 choices in all rotations or services.

Sorry to hear your brother hated the place. Maybe he wasnt that bright and needed more of a spoon in his mouth. The bitter ones at any school are the ones who felt like they deserved a degree. I'm not going to knock COMP. The original poster deserves to make the decision based on much more than the mud you sling here. Take care bud. Work on that bedside manner.

Originally posted by oceandocDO
Chief,

I guess that's why NYCOM sent students to residency at Harvard last year, and Hopkins and CHOP the year before that. Those places will take anybody.

I looked at the match list 2000, 2001, & 2002 haven't seen any MGH (Harvard) or Hopkins match. goto http://iris.nyit.edu/still/ and put in username wouldbedo, password still98, see for yourself. What are you smoking, can I get some.

What are you smoking? NYCOMs rotations are probably the best of the D.O. world. Rotations are mandated in some of the same hospitals as NYU, Stonybrook, Downstate, and Yale. North Shore Univ Hospital system, their main clinical affiliate, was voted the best overall hospital system in the country in 2002. They have numerous tertiary care facilities, level I trauma centers, and see more pathology than most medical schools, D.O. or M.D. in the country because of these locations.

Go to the NYCOM accademic website again, I still don't see any rotations at NYU and Yale.

Yeah, that's why 150 of us who all hate each other all went to vegas for the AOA convention and had a great time... together. You're a *****. We have the most active student body with the most funding of any D.O. school.

Trip to vegas, who wouldn't want to go. Doesn't mean you all went to the same strip club together.

Well if this post is justification for the polite nature of californians, you have me sold. I mean, that's what you need in becoming a good doctor, 70 degree weather, right?....not a diverse and large patient population or anything. Boston is pretty cold too, did you turn harvard down?

The OP said NYCOM vs COMP not, NYCOM vs HARVARD or COMP vs HARVARD. Get a grip man.

Wrong again, bucko. Very few fail out. I'll send you the stats if you'd like. They have plenty of rotations, enough so that most people get one of their top 3 choices in all rotations or services.

Ya, you better show me a link, because it seems like your just pulling $hit out of your a$$. I used $ cuz that's what NYCOM wants.

Sorry to hear your brother hated the place. Maybe he wasnt that bright and needed more of a spoon in his mouth. The bitter ones at any school are the ones who felt like they deserved a degree. I'm not going to knock COMP. The original poster deserves to make the decision based on much more than the mud you sling here. Take care bud. Work on that bedside manner.

Sorry to get your NYCOM panties in bunch.

I looked at the match list 2000, 2001, & 2002 haven't seen any MGH (Harvard) or Hopkins match. goto http://iris.nyit.edu/still/ and put in username wouldbedo, password still98, see for yourself. What are you smoking, can I get some.

That would be because the students going to those programs entered an internship year, which is listed. The residency program is not listed. The MD programs require a transitional year, so they encouraged them to do it at a hospital of their choice. As for last year's grads, one is doing it at North Shore, not sure where the others are. You want the names and email addresses of the students? Look up the CHOP website. One of the chief of peds anesthesiology is a NYCOM grad. He was keynote speaker at a recent anesthesiology conference. Classy giving out the password for an in-house website too, your brother give that to you or are you a disgruntled nycom student who failed genetics?

Go to the NYCOM accademic website again, I still don't see any rotations at NYU and Yale.

Wrong again. NYCOM rotates through the north shore system, like I said. NYU students rotate through there very frequently. I never said NYCOM rotates at NYU. Although, a student in my class has a parent that teaches at NYU Med and NYCOM and works at North Shore and told him to go D.O. at nycom over M.D. because of the quality students he sees from the place. Stonybrook and downstate students also rotate through NUMC, Good Samaritan, St. Barnabus, etc.

The OP said NYCOM vs COMP not, NYCOM vs HARVARD or COMP vs HARVARD. Get a grip man.
Huh? This makes no sense. I was referring to your criteria of picking a school based on climate.

Ya, you better show me a link, because it seems like your just pulling $hit out of your a$$. I used $ cuz that's what NYCOM wants.

Link? That kind of stuff isnt published on any school's website, anywhere. I know what I see. We had about 260 standard students in the class last year and this year we have around 250 I think, plus or minus a few. Some were asked to repeat first year, the only ones who are gone totally from what I hear did so on under their own choice. Did your bro or you fail out of the place? You seem to "know" an awful lot about it.

I'm not here to argue with you. You spat out some utter dribble about a school and I countered. Reply at will, but this crap isnt helping the OP make a decision.

good luck.

Don't get to worked up oceandoc, my brother is class of 2006, he just complains about how much he hates it out there. He wishes he stayed in sunny calif. I was just relaying his sentiment to the OP. As for me my name is deuce007 MD = 2007 MD I'm starting a US allopathic school next Aug. I interviewed at NYCOM during this cycle and looked at there match list and rotations, they accepted me and wanted like $500 dollars non refundable right away and $1,000 non refundable at a later time. Luckly I got in an MD program before my $500 dollars was due. This non refundable deposit, in addition to my brothers sentiment made me look at NYCOM in a bad light.

Okay gotto the AMSA website www.amsa.org/resource/cardev/medresults.cfm to see what their own students think of their school. On a scale from 1 to 5, five being best. NYCOM got a 2.5 in overall satisfaction and a 2.3 in learning enviroment. IMO 50% is a failing grade.

Most medical schools require a non-refundable deposit, at least the ones I got into, MD and DO. This is how they hold seats.

Sorry your brother hates it in NY. He'll come around once he gets the basic sciences behind him. I didnt like it much either in the beginning of my first year. NY takes some getting used to, but it is really a great place to become a doctor, even with the 10 degrees outside. IMO, he made the right choice coming to NY, he'll realize it in time.

Honestly, dont take this personally, but we're lucky you got into an MD program also, because NYCOM isnt a place chock full of wanna-be MDs. Your brother may be one, hence the reason he's unhappy. If he hates it, quit and reapply somewhere else. He'll get in if he's proven he's done well here. 15 people apply for every seat here and there's someone who would be very willing to sit where he is. You're still in the pre-med mentality shaped by message boards and classmates who dont know anything either and honestly go to bed at night believing the letters after your name equate to the depth of your knowledge base. I was there once, but luckily I had a few mentors who guided me into a program that was fit for me. Good luck in allopathic school.....

by the way, did you ever look up what the word "allopathy" means?

al?lop?a?thy n.
A method of treating disease with remedies that produce effects different from those caused by the disease itself.

Hmmmm... interesting. ;) It's funny that the MD world continues to use a word to describe themselves that is actually kind of self-derogatory in nature. :)

oceandoc,
ofcourse DO's dont use drugs, eh? Stop this lame bashing, and wake up from your dreamworld of one thing supreme to the other. :)

this is in response to the "fact" that the jews hang out with the jews, muslims with muslims, russians with russians and bs/do's with bs/do's :
Im a russian jew, and I'm a bs/do...

who do i hang out with???????? i seem to be unique, does that mean i hand out by myself... wouldnt that suck...
hmmmm....
yea someone is definitely not having a good time. Maybe he should transfer to an MD program, and make things easier for everyone... those who dont want to be here, shouldnt.

Originally posted by BrooklynDO
this is in response to the "fact" that the jews hang out with the jews, muslims with muslims, russians with russians and bs/do's with bs/do's :

who do i hang out with???????? i seem to be unique, does that mean i hand out by myself... wouldnt that suck...
hmmmm....
yea someone is definitely not having a good time. Maybe he should transfer to an MD program, and make things easier for everyone... those who dont want to be here, shouldnt.

MDs dont entertain losers either, be it a DO-wannabe or an MD-wannabe. You guys can keep your dissidents.

Originally posted by BrooklynDO

hmmmm....

All I was saying is the school is very cliqish, kind of like a High School mentality. I sat in a few classes and observed some of these cliques during my stay with my brother. Come on now you guys are in medical school not High School anymore. My bro even told me that the bs/do's have copies of old test and only pass them around among each other, same goes for the forgein MD/DO's. Now that's very cooperative of those NYCOM students, acting like anal premeds, afraid of some fair play. Those exam hords are going to make great doctors:rolleyes: very compasionate people, especially to your peers. As for you being a russian jew bs/do, you have the advantage of getting all the old exams from all these groups and doing really well, my brother is not as lucky.
I also talked to some muslim students and they were entertaining a conspiracy theory on how none of them can get a NYCOMEC derm residency, cause those spots always goto people with last names like cohen, goldberg, shwartz, you know where I'm going with this. So brooklyn DO you have alot of advantages others don't. That's why I said to the OP that he/she should go to COMP, if you want a cooperative learning enviroment, and a more leveled playing field.

Members don't see this ad :)
ofcourse DO's dont use drugs, eh? Stop this lame bashing, and wake up from your dreamworld of one thing supreme to the other.

I never said one was supreme to another, ever. I wasnt the one originally bashing, either. Just defining the word "allopath" like the word "osteopath" is often defined. Nothing more, nothing less. If someone is going to come on here and claim "thank god I got into an MD school because your school sucks", I'm going to reciprocate. Sorry if I offended you.

I sat in a few classes and observed some of these cliques during my stay with my brother. Come on now you guys are in medical school not High School anymore. My bro even told me that the bs/do's have copies of old test and only pass them around among each other, same goes for the forgein MD/DO's. Now that's very cooperative of those NYCOM students, acting like anal premeds, afraid of some fair play

It's great that you inferred the attitude of an entire student body of close to 300 people by watching a "few lectures". I hope you'll make a diagnosis on a patient someday by sitting and only watching him/her for a "few minutes". Honestly, it sounds to me like your brother has no friends. It's unfortunate because the first years are a fun, hardworking group too. There's a few loners in every crowd though. PM me and let me know who he is and I'll make sure he's included in the "cool kids" ;) No, seriously, if the kid needs help I will be happy to offer it to him.

I have personally never been witness to someone withholding information or past test questions from someone else, no matter the color of your skin or what god you worship. Past TQs are overrated anyway as very, very rarely are test questions repeated. But, if he feels slighted, tell him to open his mouth and interact with people. Dean Ross-Lee's door is always open. Competition is minimal here because of the H/P/F grading system. As is anywhere, the people that dont do well are usually the only ones complaining about the fierce "competition."

Coincidentally, I actually talked to a COMP graduate today who's an IM resident under the NYCOM system now and she said if she could do it over again she'd go to NYCOM just for the rotations alone. She said she was exposed to the same stuff in 1 week in NY as a full 6 week rotation in Cali. She's a smart girl, so I dont doubt COMP's ability to train great doctors, nor have I ever, as I'm just offering my opinion why I like NYCOM, and why she apparently does too. Maybe try that approach, (ie...why do you like comp?) instead of just bashing nycom. just a thought.

As far as derm residency being for students only of jewish decent, I know the residency director quite well, a nycom graduate, president elect of the AOCD, and she surely doesnt come off like that. All this talk of race and religion is worrisome....Sounds like you and your brother would like to be in a place with people just like youselves so only you can get ahead. Good luck. Send me a postcard.

Oh, I looked at that "survey" from AMSA. You realize that a whopping total of 4 people completed that survey, the last one in 2001? You need better evidence than that. The old administration at NYCOM was a pain at times, and that was the student's main complaint. That administration is long gone though. The new group will garner much, much different reviews and they already have. And, those who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones... COMP didnt score straigt 5's either by their sole reviewer.

Anyway, this thread is going nowhere fast. I guess I'll agree to disagree. Finally, as I said, PM your brothers name if he's struggling. I have tons of old notes I can offer.

I concur with oceandoc...this is going nowhere.
Another side note: the administration KNEW that test questions were floating around, so they asked the second year class to scan them, put them on a CD-ROM and give them to the first year class at oreintation. I can count on one hand how many times I have looked at that CD. You can either make the most of school or be miserable. deuce, maybe your brother has some ideas of his own that he wants to share, rather than have you speak for him.

Ocean doc I'll tell him to PM you, cuz he really needs some friends, especially the cool kids in school.

I sense some of your ever-witty sarcasm in that comment. Dude, I was really trying to be nice and if your brother is having trouble, if he even exists, I'll be happy to help the kid out. That "cool kids" comment was just a bit of fun on my part in relation to your equally childish "this aint high school anymore" comment. You gotta relax. Med school is hard enough as it is and if you're this pissed off at the world going into it, you're gonna crash and burn. Maybe your whole family is hell bent on something. I dunno. One thing I've definitely learned is that medical school is totally what you make of it, not where you make it. Whether you have 20 people in your class or 400, it comes down to you doing the work and succeeding, not because of the availability of past test questions, not because of affirmative action or racial preferences, not because of the temperature outside, it comes down to you and your brain. Period. Seriously, best of luck to ya.

To the original poster, PM me if you have questions about NYCOM. Good luck with your decision. Sorry if these antics have negatively influenced your opinion of either school...

Good ending OceandocDO!!

Seriously,

I have never witnessed anyone withholding info. Our class is really great. Everyone one here helps everyone else out including the APEP's. I fall into none of the above categories and I am friends with almost everyone. Granted, you may find certain groups of people who you relate with better, but on the whole we are all friends. I would take oceandocDO's word of help seriously. You can also PM me if your brother needs help. If all else fails, tell your brother to speak with Linda (He'll know who she is). She is also a phenomenal resource.

I can honestly say that NYCOM gives you every opportunity to do well. Also being in close proximity to NYC doesn't hurt either. Hey if your not from here it may take some time to get use to the cold, but that's NY.

Good luck to the original poster with your decision.

hmmm so I have all the old exams eh?
here is a hint for the uninitiated : most of the exams ive seen came from cd's distributed by the student govt, and are nothing more than sort of a question bank like the brs books are for me.
within 300 students there will be groups of friends... I have yet to see any so exclusive as to keep others out... if your brother is having a difficult time, maybe he should make some friends instead of complaining. I have to agree with donut and ocean. most of my class works their butt off and manages top have good time at it. there are and were, plenty of social events where your brother would be able to meet people. Also, I have never been refused help from anyone in my school, whether 2nd or first year or the apep program. and i have studied with people of every creed race religion ethnicity...etc there. Everyone is glad to help and is willing to make time to get you the help you need to matter what it is.
follow oceans advice for your brother.

BrooklynDO...this has gotta be my buddy Gene isn't it! :) lol Glad to hear things are going well for you. From my personal experience, I do have to agree that NYCOM students do form "cliques"...however, people are not rude and will talk to others...as well as help people out. Since the student population at NYCOM is so great forming cliques is the unfortunate result...nonetheless, people are not rude to each other and exclude others. If you have a problem meeting and talking to people I suggest joining a club and getting involved in some social activities. Just a thought...

Since the student population at NYCOM is so great forming cliques is the unfortunate result

Huh? Can you explain this to me?

I guess I'm in a "clique" of about 250 students then.

OceandocDO-
As an NYIT student who is very familiar with NYCOM and knows many of the students there, I know for a fact that there are cliques. I think NYCOM is a fabulous school and I am definetly leaning towards going there as oppossed to other schools I have gotten into. I think that it is important to answer questions from prospective students honestly, even if may be a negative aspect of the school. By not doing so, it is an injustice to them. I have read many of your posts in the past and I think that you have given a lot of great feedback but come on...I'm not saying that you're lying but you're definetly not exactly coming straight about what is going on at NYCOM.
The student pop. at NYCOM is approx. 320. I think BrooklynDO put it best when he said that "groups of friends" form. This is the unfortunate result of such a high student pop. Small student class' enable all the students to get to know each other and as a result people are really able to be friends with most of the class...this is DEFINETLY not the case at NYCOM. Nonetheless, while anywhere you go there will always be a few bad apples, most of the students at NYCOM are very nice and friendly.
Hope this helps prospective applicants...if anyone needs a truthful non biased opinion of the school, feel free to PM me. :)
Once again, NYCOM is a great school...but no school is perfect. I feel that there are definetly more Pro's to the school than cons.
:)

Oh, you meant to say "since the student population at nycom is so large ".... gotcha. I didnt understand how since the student body was so "great" cliques would form. Read your original statement again.

As far as the "cliques", I would have agreed with this statement this time last year, as it takes time to get to know people. In the beginning of first year, you definitely migrate to people you know or relate to. This happens in any school, of any size. It's just that in a bigger school, it takes a longer amount of time to get to know a majority of the class. The class is then unfortunately defined as having "cliques". You may know a physically larger quantity of people than someone in a smaller school though, you just dont know them as well. That part takes time, but it does happen. Since you're an NYIT student, especially if you're in the BS/DO program, I would definitely argue that those folks (along with the APEPs) are some of the largest offenders of this practice, especially in the beginning. But, they are a very cohesive group mainly because they've already known each other for 3+ years and thus they have a right to do so. As the first year progresses and especially into second year, groups open up dramatically and the class becomes much more cohesive as a whole, trust me. Third and fourth years say the same thing. Also, you dont choose who you do rotations with, hence in these years, "cliques" are practially non-existent.

Anyway, please dont accuse me of being bias or untruthful. I answer any question as I see it, and since you're not even a student at nycom yet, I trust your judgement is from what you've heard through the grapevine, which probably includes your first-year friends at nycom, not from participating in it everyday. Ask any past nyit student, life at nycom is apparently much different than at nyit. Some people see the class size of nycom as a negative. I, for one, dont care as much about class size (by the way, my class is around 255 and the first years have around 260 standard students, plus the APEPs). I came from a large undergraduate college and was used to being proactive in my academics and social life. If you do feel lost in the crowd, they have plenty of aggressive tutoring and extra-help for those students. The larger class size enables many more opportunities, IMO, because there's many more activities (professional and social), larger numbers of post-graduate residency affiliations, etc. than at a smaller school. Someone else may want a smaller class size, that's fine, I understand!

Hence, moral of the story.... to each his own, what is good for one student is not necessarily good for the next. As Dr. Ross-Lee says, "When you've seen one medical school, you've seen one medical school." Make sure you take in all factors that are of concern to YOU, not this board, or another student on this board. Be happy, because if you're not, you're in for a long 4 years.

That's my $0.02 for now. Back to GI. :clap:

OceandocDO...my experience with NYCOM goes beyond hearing facts through the grapevine...I have had the pleasant opportunity to participate with some NYCOM students in several projects and am on the NYCOM campus quite a bit. I would also like to add that life at NYIT is as you say quite different. B/c the pop. is much smaller at NYIT then NYCOM you get the opportunity to get to know almost everyone and as a reusult are friends with most people. Never once did I bash NYCOM...in fact I think it's a fabulous school but as I said before, I think that it's important to be honest with prospective applicants by letting them know both pros and cons to each school they are considering so that they can then make a fully knowledgable decision that will meet their needs the most. I think that you have a lot of valid points and your posts are very helpful...I was merely stating what I feel the truth is from both personal experience and others experience (btw I am definetly a friendly person and not a loner so that's not an issue). I think that it's great that you're so Pro NYCOM and I hope that the rest of your time there is as promising as it has been thus far! :clap:

Just a quick side note :
Being from tech bs/do and nycom:

The fact that your in a small school doesnt mean that you're friends with everyone. In fact sometimes having a larger class is nice since it allows a more diverse experience and a more diverse group of friends. Small/ vs large school both have their advantages and dissadvantages, and if school size is a priority, people should keep it in mind. Its not like its a shocker that nycom is a big school.
my 1 cent... back to histo...zzzz huh what happened?

Just as a heads up to the original poster:
I am a fourth year at NYCOM and I can say I have witnessed a lot of the good, the bad, and the ugly ..... when I interviewed at NYCOM there was a group of students studyin g in the hallways and one of them yelled at our group not to come there. Well, I did. The first two years here showed me why she said this- this was a place where your notes were as useless as a porn script and in order to pass certain exams you could just draw a pentagram, point it south and start chanting.... it WAS horrible. However, since then, three deans have been fired and several other key personell were retired/ transfered to other duties. Dr Ross-Lee has done an amazing job to clean house and I can truly say that this school is not the place it was 2 years ago. It is a good school, you will get a good education, and if there are problems the administration is more than happy to listen to us.

As far as that comment on cliques based on race/ religion/ whatever, I really do not understand where these things come from........... my group of friends involves 2 BS/DO, an italian girl from Brooklyn, Asian girl from the Bronx, an orthodox jew and whatever scragglers come through. I am white. It is a group I happen to study with well and most of us met quite randomly during the first week of school. We have all recieved TQ the night before the exam but we also shared them with everyone we knew, and a lot of people we didnt. It is quite easy to befriend people here and as far as TQ all you have to do is ask.

You will have a good time here. Welcome aboard if you decide to come here.

sorry for an another school comparison thread, but any input will be appreciated. which school and why? please base it on location, reputation, academic rigor (I like an easy school), residency placement, and quality of faculty and curriculum, etc.

I absolutely love urban schools, so I've basically boiled down my choices to the two school located near the two largest cities in the country.