Comparing D.O. Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veronica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me which D.O. schools will best prepare students for residencies. I am interested in comparing CCOM, MSUCOM, LECOM and DMU. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Residencies in what? Are you asking for which schools have the best 3rd and 4th year clinical rotations or are you asking which schools have the best board scores?
Residency doesn't have alot to do with your 1st and 2nd years...unless you fail.

Sorry. I really just want to know which school will make me a better doctor. However you want to answer that. Board scores, where people do residencies, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can go to a school with poor board scores and a dismal US News ranking and still end up with a top residency, it is all up to you. In reality, the school reputation will only get so far, you will have to prove yourself eventually. I would recommend that you don't exclude scores based on their scores (we ask them not to do this when they look at our applications, right?). You might miss the opportunity to go to the school that will really make YOU shine so that eventually you get that great residency.

Has anyone ever seen any formal ranking of the osteopathic schools? I haven't.

I don't think there is a formal ranking for osteopathic schools. There are all pretty much the same, except each school has a different set of weaknesses and strengths.

This topic always comes up (almost as much as the MD vs DO stuff).

There is NO ranking.
Different people like different schools for different reasons.
Find the one that suits YOU.
You get out what you put in.

Well said, kidterrific.

I was told this once by an MD. I believe it applies here, too. "The difference between the worst and the best medical schools is so small."

MED SCHOOL IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. This is a small but very important factor.