delightful

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
How do you guys think Barron's practice exams compare to the real thing? The copyright of my book is 1999. (I'm not sure if this is the newest edition or not. I might of bought it last year or it was one of the free books friends gave me that they used.)

Anyways, I guess I just honestly want to gauge myself to the real thing. There's no point in stressing over obnoxious reaction problems or 12 minute math problems if I'd never see that on the real thing. (for example some of the problems on topscore or kaplan's subject tests -- insert here the opportunity for someone to be like, all problems are easy! stupid girl!)

I downloaded the copy of the exam offered my addsas, but was hoping to save that for very last when I'm ready to take the exam in two weeks.

I'm asking particularly about Barron's because it's a dream! (compared to the other crap)...

Let me know what you think. Thanks!

(PS- I haven't purchased Achiever yet. How does that compare?)

abzirian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Ann Arbor, MI
Status
Pre-Dental
I didn't use the barron's book much (although i had it and leafed through it), but i did see a couple mistakes in that book (in the answer key of one of the practice exams). My friend actually learned something wrong from one of those mistakes and got it wrong on the real thing. Just something to watch out for.

aggie.teacher

Baylor 2011
10+ Year Member
May 27, 2006
Dallas
Status
Dental Student
Barron's has mistakes....be very careful! It's an ok gauge, but if you can do fairly well on DAT Achiever (from what I hear...) or Topscore, you'll have a better idea. They are excellent..yes, hard, but if you get used to them, the real thing won't seem so bad and you'll be so ready.

About the Ads

reapply2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I thought the Organic Chemistry section of Barrons was dangerously confusing, inaccurate in some sections, and with questions not helpful for the DAT. Barrons was the second Organic source I was using, with the thought that working the problems would help. I actually had to purge everything Orgo I got from Barrons and redo with the original source coupled with Schaums. I wish I had never picked up the Organic section of Barrons.

The Barron's biology section was pretty good review and the section review questions weren't bad. The quantitative section problems were OK but not asked in the same way as the DAT.

Another of Barron's problems is that there is no explanation for the practice tests at the end of the book-only the answers. There are five practice tests at the end. This makes reviewing your mistakes really time consuming as sometimes you're just convinced you got it right and that the book is wrong. You'll never know with Barron's. However, the section review questions all seemed to have pretty good explanations.

The Barron's perceptual practice questions seemed a little harder than the DAT's but impossible to do under timed circumstances, leading me to take longer than I would have liked on the actual DAT because I just could not get through Barron's practice perceptual sections in the time allotted. But I did OK on perceptual.

For my money, I'd buy someone's used Kaplans notes for practice problems, and avoid Barron's for anything but biology and possibly perceptual and quantitative.

Lucass

RunswithPredents
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
California
Status
Pre-Dental
My post is probably just going to be an echo of what's already been said, but having used the Barron's book as well as the Kaplan practice tests and TopScore, I think I've got a pretty good idea of how they compare.

For me, overall difficulty from greatest to least went Kaplan>Topscore>Barron's. Barron's quantitative reasoning section wasn't comparable to the real thing. Their biology section was probably the best indicator of how you'll do on the real thing (watch out! their key for bio is full of mistakes--which was frustrating the crap out of me until I figured out that they were wrong). Reading comprehension section was fine. I don't remember much about the Gen Chem and OChem sections.

With that being said, it'll probably make you feel good to know that how I scored on the Barron's practice exam was the closest to how I did on the real DAT. The other programs push your limits to make sure that you will increase your score. I was getting 18 and 19 on the Kaplan and ended up getting a 21 on the DAT.

HopefulPredent

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
I just took the Barron's exam today. I think the Bio section is a little bit more detailed than the real thing. But the ochem and gchem are little bit more similar to the real thing. Math was super easy.... it's definitely going to be more difficult. I'm not sure about the PAT though. Also... SO MANY MISTAKES! Even with some of the perceptual ability parts... so, careful!

Chuck1441

10+ Year Member
May 5, 2006
Status
Dental Student
I've only seen Barron's and Kaplan's. But I know that Barron's sucks for any kind of studying. And I got like 16-18s on its tests. I didn't know how to score the Kaplan's tests, but I felt like they were closer to the real DAT. But still did worse on them than on the real test.

About the Ads