Compensation differences between practice types in PNW and NE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Sterling Archer

That's how you get ants!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you estimate (ballpark) is the median difference in compensation for new orthopedic surgeons in PP vs those working at academic centers in the Pacific Northwest and Northeast? I had heard that in the Midwest young new surgeons joining a PP group can make nearly ~75% more than their peers who stay on at large academic institutions (I'm sure that's highly variable depending on the type of fellowship training/practice/group you join), but that on the coasts the difference is much smaller than in the Midwest. I'm coming up on a crossroads where I can push all in for PSLF (I firmly believe it will stick around) or ride it out, so I'm trying to map out if the loan forgiveness is worth the trade-off of a lower salary first few years as an attending working for a qualifying employer.

Thank you in advance for answering this question, I've searched enough threads on here to see questions about compensation come up frequently. I'm sorry, to add to the heap. I know that I'm asking a question that's difficult to answer and such answers might change drastically based on a slew of variables, but I appreciate your attempts at generalizing for me. I don't have a Medscape or MGMA account and haven't been able to find an answer in my Google-ing, so thank you again for whatever opinions you're able to offer.

Members don't see this ad.