competitive enough for PCO/NECO? advice!

member5122

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My two top choices are NECO and PCO and would love if somebody could give me some advice on what I may need to be competitive enough for the schools. I have a 3.24 GPA (not that great I know =/) and maybe a 2.8-3.1 science GPA. I have volunteered abroad on a medical brigade, did habitat for humanity, have helped organize a walk-a-thon benefiting the American Diabetes Association, volunteered for red cross, and shadowed two doctors (private and commercial office) for about 15 hours and plan on doing more this year on my year off. I plan on trying to find a job as a optician/optometric technician if I can. If not then, I'm planning on just finding any job so I'm not just sitting around and plan on going on more volunteering trips abroad. I haven't really done any research, not sure if I really need to. I'm taking my OATs in about 2 weeks and am aiming for AA 330 at the LEAST, but I'm so horrible with timing so I'm a little worried. What score exactly would I need to be good enough for these schools? Please help me!! would love any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

I hope my answer doesn't seem totally useless to you. I think you should call the schools and ask them. I know PCO have amazing counsellors that will be happy to answer your question (make sure you ask to talk to a counsellor when you call them). Hopefully, this doesn't seem a really terrible answer but I truely think that counsellors should be a lot more helpful than pre-opt. students.

Oh no don't even worry about it! I definitely do plan on calling to setup and appointment with the school admissions counselors! I have heard they help a lot like you said! I just wanted to see what others who may have applied before may have to say about what scores might help me out since I can't schedule a meeting before my exam! I wanna know what minimum score I should be aiming for :/ but you're right I should probably just call and ask!