Jul 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Optometry
Hi All:

My Cumulative GPA is a 3.3, Science GPA is a 3.0.
My OAT is a 300TS/310AA.
RC: 330
GC: 300
OC: 290
Physics: 260
QR: 280
Bio: 400!!!

I have 160+ hours of shadowing an optometrist, shadowed an ophthalmologist in the OR, Thousands of hours of volunteer experience as an EMT, and 120+ Hours of Research in the Lab. I tutor Biology, Physiology, and Theology. I'm also an RA, work in the Admissions Dept. of my current University, and the Chairman of Pre-Optometry for my Health Professions Club.

The schools I'm applying to are: Pacific University, Chicago College of Optometry, KYCO, Salus, and MCPHS.

Any and all input is really appreciated!! Thank you!!!!!

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Optometry
tl;dr I would highly encourage you to email and get on the phone with your target schools. It's hugely helpful to talk directly with these people, get a feel for them, and get an idea of where you stand vs. where they stand.

As a non-trad prospective, I gained a huge amount of insight from talking directly with admissions at my target schools. I took a trip to PCO (Salus) last October, reviewed my plan of action with an admissions officer, and toured the campus. I've talked on the phone with SCO, MCO, and SUNY. You can hash out all your questions and hear it directly from them, as opposed to anonymous, self-reported input on a forum.

OP
O
Jul 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Optometry
Thank you very much! I used the OAT Destroyer for the Bio Section. The questions on the exam were VERY similar to the ones on the actual test. I went through and just read through the answer explanations to the questions I got wrong. I hope that'll peak the interest of the admissions committees. Thoughts?

Jul 25, 2019
Status
Pre-Optometry
I think it will catch the eye of some schools!! I’m in the same boat as you gpa wise just a tad higher, not enough to count and take my OAT in two weeks. I think don’t think any schools will ask you to retake the OAT but if they do you’re still early in the cycle. Best of luck :) keep us informed how everything works out!

OP
O
Jul 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Optometry
Update:

I received an invitation to interview at ALL THE SCHOOLS TO WHICH I APPLIED!!!

I just had my interview at KYCO and it was an awesome experience. Casey Price (The Admissions Director) no longer gives decisions on the day of the interview, but you will hear back within 7-8 days after you interview.

OP
O
Jul 18, 2019
Status
Pre-Optometry
No, I didn't apply to MCO. I applied to MCPHS, PCO, KYCO, CCO, and PUCO.

I just received my acceptance from KYCO yesterday morning!! I really love the school, and it's my number two choice, but after going to KYCO, it very well may be my number one!! MCPHS (my number one-ish) has a lot to live up to for sure!!!!

I cancelled all my interviews for the schools except for MCPHS. The interview for that is Oct. 10th. I'll post how that goes after I go, but I REALLY REALLY REALLY love Kentucky!!!!