Competitive for top 3 MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemE 4 Life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Undergraduate School: Top 20, non HYPSM
Major: Chemical Engineering & Materials Science Engineering

cGPA: 3.98
sGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 15 BS, 14 PS, 12 VR (41T)

1. ~850 Hours of volunteering in several hospitals in EMS & Hospice departments
2. ~140 Hours of Physician shadowing: 6 Physicians
3. ~350 Hours of volunteering for PALS & HH
4. ~800 Hours of working as Paid ER Scribe (Different from 1)
5. Volunteered in a Missionary abroad for Blind & Under served Children for 3 Summers and 1 Winter ( 24 Weeks Total) - I started in high school.
6. Paid Peer Tutor in Calc I&II, Physics Mech & Elec, Gen Chem I and II, and Orgo I for 6 sem.
7. Paid TA for Physics: Mechanics & Electricity and Gen Chemistry I & II for 4 sem.
8. Paid Library Worker for 5 semesters
9. Cofounder & President of Active Minds for 2 years
10. Founder & Director of a Non-Profit Organization
11. Several academic and research awards
12. Conducted Research in 3 Laboratory settings under four professors(1 passed away and I won't be able to get rec letter) for 3 years
13. Published 2 Papers (1 FA, 1 SA) on ChemE & Physics (Both were hypothesis based)
14. Authored 2 Posters that were presented in Energy and Resources Conference & Biomedical Engineering Symposium
15. Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory Undergraduate Summer Research Internship - 10 Week Program (will most likely conclude with another pub according to research directors)

I'll be mostly applying to MD/PhD programs alongside a couple of MD programs. If I don't make it to any of the top 5 MD/PhD programs, should I do an MS in ChemE or BioE to strengthen my app? I've been reading that where you go for medical school doesn't matter for an MD, but it does for an MD/PhD (academic medicine). That's the only reason why I'm aiming for the best. I think I should be able to fare well in the admissions process, but after seeing that there were so many Rhodes & Marshall Scholars in almost all of the top MD/PhDs, I'm not so sure of my competitiveness. Advice & criticism is welcome. Thanks for your time.

PS: I'm not socially awkward...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I also have some hobbies and other fun things I do in my spare time. Is it worth mentioning them on my app?

You look like you're a strong enough applicant to get into one of the top programs. If you have strong LORs and spend some time on your app I'm sure you'll get interviews from those programs. You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to get into one of those institutions, that's just icing on the cake - you have top notch numbers and strong ECs, you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as your hobbies go it wouldn't hurt to mention them, but I think that sort of EC listing would help more for MD admissions than MD/PhD admissions. I would say that if you have the space, definitely put constructive hobbies in there, but don't kick out an important activity to fit it in.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, in your opinion what are the 3 top md/phd programs in the country and why?

With that app, I think you could get in anywhere.

GL!

You look like you're a strong enough applicant to get into one of the top programs. If you have strong LORs and spend some time on your app I'm sure you'll get interviews from those programs. You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to get into one of those institutions, that's just icing on the cake - you have top notch numbers and strong ECs, you shouldn't have a problem.

As far as your hobbies go it wouldn't hurt to mention them, but I think that sort of EC listing would help more for MD admissions than MD/PhD admissions. I would say that if you have the space, definitely put constructive hobbies in there, but don't kick out an important activity to fit it in.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response. It looks like I might have to combine and group certain things together.

Just curious, in your opinion what are the 3 top md/phd programs in the country and why?

MSTP: Harvard, Hopkins, University of California, San Francisco. I'll post the why part tomorrow morning. It's pretty late as of now.

Thanks for your response. It looks like I might have to combine and group certain things together.

I believe that's a good idea. Three or so of the activities I listed were combined activities, I grouped them together if they fell under the same general category, i.e. Hospital/Clinic Volunteering. :)

5. Volunteered in a Missionary abroad for Blind & Under served Children for 3 Summers and 1 Winter ( 24 Weeks Total) - I started in high school.
6. Paid Peer Tutor in Calc I&II, Physics Mech & Elec, Gen Chem I and II, and Orgo I for 6 sem.
7. Paid TA for Physics: Mechanics & Electricity and Gen Chemistry I & II for 4 sem.
12. Conducted Research in 3 Laboratory settings under four professors(1 passed away and I won't be able to get rec letter) for 3 years
13. Published 2 Papers (1 FA, 1 SA) on ChemE & Physics (Both were hypothesis based)
14. Authored 2 Posters that were presented in Energy and Resources Conference & Biomedical Engineering Symposium
15. Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory Undergraduate Summer Research Internship - 10 Week Program (will most likely conclude with another pub according to research directors)

I'll be mostly applying to MD/PhD programs alongside a couple of MD programs. If I don't make it to any of the top 5 MD/PhD programs, should I do an MS in ChemE or BioE to strengthen my app? I've been reading that where you go for medical school doesn't matter for an MD, but it does for an MD/PhD (academic medicine). That's the only reason why I'm aiming for the best. I think I should be able to fare well in the admissions process, but after seeing that there were so many Rhodes & Marshall Scholars in almost all of the top MD/PhDs, I'm not so sure of my competitiveness. Advice & criticism is welcome. Thanks for your time.

I don't know, I feel troll here. You with level of accomplishments, you are probably smart enough to know your own chances based on statistics and such. Socially awkward? Being involved that extensively in the community, how socially awkward can you be?

Sorry if you aren't a troll, but I see many posts like these where the level of accomplishment makes it an easy answer for the person themselves. You don't need to ask SDN or a third opinion for your chances. Your resume speaks for itself. You aren't a fringe candidate even for top 3 MD/PhD.

Well as far as your hobby stuff goes, I would save that for your personal statement if they are related to what you want to pursue. Those would be a good way to provide supporting evidence as to what & why you want to pursue what you are applying for. As far as your main question goes I think you would be very competitive just about anywhere. Have you looked into the MD/PhD program at Wake Forest School of Medicine? They are working on regenerative medicine over there and are doing some seriously crazy stuff!! If you are wanting to get into the next big thing in medicine I would definitely look into it. If memory serves me correct, if you are accepted into their program its completely paid for on a scholarship. But its EXTREMELY competitive.. like between 2 and 5 slots a year. Now what I don't remember is if that is just for students competing to get into the regenerative medicine research.. or their entire combined MD/PhD program. You should definitely look into it!

You shouldn't focus so much on top 3 md/phd but rather be in a top lab since your career is more determined by that. For example the rockeffeler university is not top 3 md/phd but has many top in the world labs.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using SDN Mobile

You shouldn't focus so much on top 3 md/phd but rather be in a top lab since your career is more determined by that. For example the rockeffeler university is not top 3 md/phd but has many top in the world labs.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using SDN Mobile

I don't think "top 3" matters and I don't think a "top 3" even exists, but name and pedigree definitely matter in academia. He should aim for a prestigious institution if that is his end goal.

I don't think "top 3" matters and I don't think a "top 3" even exists, but name and pedigree definitely matter in academia. He should aim for a prestigious institution if that is his end goal.

Sort of random, but you and ChemE are like gods among mortals in terms of applications. :O

Members don't see this ad :)
Troll or not, I'm jealous.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

I dunno, couldn't even get a 4.0...:D

Congrats on an amazing application. Even if you somehow fall short of your goal programs, I'm sure someone with your talent would be able to make up for it in some other way down the line. Way to go!

P.S. Out of curiosity, did you go to class? It's definitely possible to do everything you did, but I imagine skipping class and learning the material on your own at a much faster pace would really help...

I don't know, I feel troll here. You with level of accomplishments, you are probably smart enough to know your own chances based on statistics and such. Socially awkward? Being involved that extensively in the community, how socially awkward can you be?

Sorry if you aren't a troll, but I see many posts like these where the level of accomplishment makes it an easy answer for the person themselves. You don't need to ask SDN or a third opinion for your chances. Your resume speaks for itself. You aren't a fringe candidate even for top 3 MD/PhD.

Nah, I don't think it's a troll. He specified a precise concern in the OP, he's not coming off as randomly anxious.

I also have some hobbies and other fun things I do in my spare time. Is it worth mentioning them on my app?

Lol, what hobbies? Stamp collecting? I don't see how you could have free time for any hobbies with that EC list.

In my opinion: depends. Top MD/PhD programs focus heavily on people with a large amount of top level high powered research. 1 FA and 1 SA article may not be enough for Harvard/Hopkins/UCSF. I think you have a decent shot though.

As an interviewer, I'd be suspicious as to the amount you've accomplished in all those hours. Starting a non-profit is great...has it done anything? Etc. That's what you'll need to demonstrate, that you're not a hollow box-checker.

You'd be surprised when it comes down to MD/PhD. It is well known that getting into one of these programs, whatever the school is, would be much tougher and stiffer to get into than had they done MD only. I can only speak of what I've seen at UCSF, but I've seen PI's that have graduated from University of Arizona MD/PhD and University of Kansas MD/PhD. Often I've been told by more than one PI that the lab the person is in and their publications dictates over where the degree was obtained. It just happens that great schools have many great labs, but it doesn't mean you can't find a leading lab outside of those institutions.

In my opinion: depends. Top MD/PhD programs focus heavily on people with a large amount of top level high powered research. 1 FA and 1 SA article may not be enough for Harvard/Hopkins/UCSF. I think you have a decent shot though.

As an interviewer, I'd be suspicious as to the amount you've accomplished in all those hours. Starting a non-profit is great...has it done anything? Etc. That's what you'll need to demonstrate, that you're not a hollow box-checker.
I disagree. Depending on the project that was undertaken, 1 FA can be worth more than 10 collaborations leading to multiple 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. author or even more than have 2+ FA pubs. Remember, papers from Science/Cell/Nature can take anywhere from 3 to 7 years to complete. Yes, chances are that this person hasn't published there, but I'd definitely consider IF of the journal and how many citations have followed it to judge it over the amount of papers.

Disagree. I have no papers published (though one third author one will eventually be published) and I got an interview at UCSF. I think a lot of it has to do with the way you write about the research you did to show it was in depth and that you really understand it - not that pubs aren't great. I also have a 3.6GPA and a 36MCAT and am not a URM. Granted, I know people with better stats than me who did not get an MSTP interview at UCSF. Clearly papers aren't required much less 1FA and 1SA not being enough. Granted, I haven't heard the final decision from UCSF yet so we'll see in March.

OP: If I was able to get accepted to a top 20 MSTP program and get a UCSF interview, as long as you don't have some weird red flag and aren't horrible, you are pretty much guaranteed a top 20 or top 10 acceptance. I would broaden your horizons though - when you get down to a school like UCSF who only accepts 16 students for 10-12 slots - choosing who is in and who is out can get very political and banking everything on 3 schools which between them may accept less than 30-40 people due to overlap is leaving things up to chance no matter who you are. If you don't get into a top 5, you should just go to a lower ranked but still top 10 or 20 MSTP program. Doing a master's to improve your app is ridiculous - your app is near perfect and it would look insane if you reapplied with your stats.

I wish I'd done ChemE or something cool instead of Bio since I probably would have gotten more out of that.

EDIT: Wait, how'd I end up necroposting on this???? The shame I feel is overbearing

I wish I was as motivated as you during undergrad and I wouldn't have had to waste 6 years of my life doing things I absolutely hate. You are very impressive!!

At this point, I think you're gonna have to go DO. It's the only realistic option you have.

:rolleyes:

I agree with Silverflash. With that application it's either DO or the Caribbean.