Competitive IM Residencies

Started by Rigomortis
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rigomortis

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I realize this is probably impossible to do, but I'd like to get ideas about the relative competitiveness of IM residencies. I've been hearing that one should apply to a spectrum of programs and not just all in the same tier, so it would be nice to know which are the ones less likely to rank you. Anyways, here's a crack at it, trying to take into account location and everything...whadya think?

Ultra competitive:
Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, MGH, Cleveland Clinic, UWashSeattle, UCSF, Stanford

Real competitive:
Duke, UCLA, Brigham&Women's, WashU, Columbia, Cornell, UChicago, UMich, UPenn

Getting better, but not by much:
UNC, Northwestern, Mount Sinai, Yale, Southwestern, BU, Emory, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Pitt, NYU, NewEnglandMed, CaseWestern, BethIsraelHospital, UAB, UColorado.

I'd just like to say I have no basis for any of this, these are just my impressions. I also have no idea what other programs fit this profile....any suggestions?
 
Originally posted by Geek Medic
(The most competitive programs may not be the best programs.)

I agree, that's what's makes this all kind of confusing. It's seems there are some places that are more competitive because location or whatever.