Competitive Programs and Use of ERAS filters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exPCM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think residency applicants need to be aware that many programs, especially in competitive specialties (i.e. Urology, Dermatology, Radiology, etc.), receive hundreds of applications. The program directors and faculty are often busy people who do not have time to read 500+ applicatrions. As a result, programs will use ERAS filters (such as choosing only applications with USMLE scores > 220) as a prescreen to select which applications they are going to actually review. This means that many applications are not even read because they do not meet the filter criteria.

Members don't see this ad.

So I would assume the residency PD's of non competitive specialties also have access to this filter option but choose not to use it. However, I wonder if the more competitive prgms of non competitive specialties use this filter also?

thanks for the info - it's a shame that a program could miss out on a solid applicant because they "only" got a 219, but i understand the need in a busy world with more applicants than is otherwise manageable. i think a lot of us figured such a thing unofficially existed (where the program coordinator served such a role), but i didn't know ERAS actually allowed the program to electronically filter applicants. thank you for sharing that with us.

So I would assume the residency PD's of non competitive specialties also have access to this filter option but choose not to use it. However, I wonder if the more competitive prgms of non competitive specialties use this filter also?

no doubt about it. i assure you the harvard hospitals and johns hopkins and the like are doing it even with internal medicine.

The ERAS workstation allows PD's to sort (i.e. change the order) or filter (select a subgroup of files) on virtually any aspect of the file.

For example, I create a filter to find completed IMG files for review. Complete = Step 1 and Step 2 score received + 3 letters of recommendation + transcript + personal statement. You could even make a filter to find people without a middle name, if you thought that would be helpful.

Everyone uses the filter tool to some extent. It can sort applicants into those you've invited for interviews vs those not, find people with incomplete apps, etc.

Filters...*gulp*
One thing I'm learning about this USMLE adventure is that you really just gotta keep faith...
Thanks for sharing the info!

p.s.
is it common practice to send out letters of rejection?

im not hearing anything yet (i know it's early)

One thing to keep in mind about the use of filters is that, just b/c an app gets left out of a certain filter run doesn't mean it's been round filed.

As an example, many PDs will just start w/ a very rough filter like "US Grad" + "Step 1 >85" to get an idea of what's out there. If they've got 20 slots to fill and only 50 apps come up w/ that filter, they can expand or change the filter to include different cut-offs.

as far as rejections, it would sure be nice and is socially appropriate to send a notification but, in the real world, you will probably just hear nothing from places who don't want to interview you. My experience (IM 2y ago) was that the big names didn't bother to send rejection emails, they just ignore you until you email/call asking what's up.

One other thing to keep in mind is how totally random this whole process is. As an example, I applied to all 3 of the HMS programs and received interviews at 2 and a rejection from one (the only actual rejection letter I received). Are those 3 programs so different that a person could qualify for an interview at one but not the others? I don't think so...it's random, embrace that and you'll be just fine.

One other thing to keep in mind is how totally random this whole process is. As an example, I applied to all 3 of the HMS programs and received interviews at 2 and a rejection from one (the only actual rejection letter I received). Are those 3 programs so different that a person could qualify for an interview at one but not the others? I don't think so...it's random, embrace that and you'll be just fine.

Thanks...I understand what you're saying, although my favorite quote has always been einstein's "I don't believe God is playing dice with the universe." Good luck to all of us:)

Thanks...I understand what you're saying, although my favorite quote has always been einstein's "I don't believe God is playing dice with the universe." Good luck to all of us:)

Well, it's not God playing dice with your universe, although the PD might occasionally feel that way after a glass of wine...

I think residency applicants need to be aware that many programs, especially in competitive specialties (i.e. Urology, Dermatology, Radiology, etc.), receive hundreds of applications. The program directors and faculty are often busy people who do not have time to read 500+ applicatrions. As a result, programs will use ERAS filters (such as choosing only applications with USMLE scores > 220) as a prescreen to select which applications they are going to actually review. This means that many applications are not even read because they do not meet the filter criteria.

Please clarify this: So when programs use ERAS filters, do they do so BEFORE downloading the application info? Or must they download it first before applying the filter?

(Just wondering b/c I still have 2 programs who have not downloaded anything!)

Please clarify this: So when programs use ERAS filters, do they do so BEFORE downloading the application info? Or must they download it first before applying the filter?

(Just wondering b/c I still have 2 programs who have not downloaded anything!)

The filters only work after downloading. Also, we cannot prevent downloading of information -- if you are rejected by a program, they will continue to download your information.

Those two programs have probably not downloaded anyone's information yet.

So does the filter happen before or after they download your application? For example, if you see that your app has been downloaded does that mean they are likely to review it or do they weed out once the download occurs?

So does the filter happen before or after they download your application? For example, if you see that your app has been downloaded does that mean they are likely to review it or do they weed out once the download occurs?

APD's post immediately before yours answers the question.

Download --> Filter --> Invite OR Back Burner OR Round-file

APD's post immediately before yours answers the question.

Download --> Filter --> Invite OR Back Burner OR Round-file

My mistake, sorry and thanks.

I think it is sad that applicants can spend a great deal of time writing their personal statements and working to get top recommendation letters and then end up having this all go for naught because so many programs are using the filters, thus resulting in hundreds of personal statements and recommendation letters not being read.

well...what can we do?
i actually received an inteview offer...and then, after 2 hours, received a withdrawn interview notice. *ouch* i wonder what made them change their mind...:(
such are the moments that make me question why I want to be docotr--hahahaha---but I do! SO HELP ME GOD!;)

well...what can we do?
i actually received an inteview offer...and then, after 2 hours, received a withdrawn interview notice. *ouch* i wonder what made them change their mind...:(
such are the moments that make me question why I want to be docotr--hahahaha---but I do! SO HELP ME GOD!;)

are you serious? this actually happens? they can withdraw the interview invite? that sucks!

Maybe people should do better on Step 1 if they're so worried about not making the filters.

are you serious? this actually happens? they can withdraw the interview invite? that sucks!

apparently so:oops:
in fairness, at least they withdrew early before I made any travel plans...
i try not to be affected, but it did kinda hurt...haha...I really have to keep my sense of humor...:luck:

Maybe people should do better on Step 1 if they're so worried about not making the filters.

step 1's just one item,..it's just one filter...
I actually scored decently there:luck:

This is a really tough situation. Usually this results from one of two problems:

1. Someone sends an interview invitation notice to the list of people who were supposed to get rejection notices. Although this may sound crazy, because ERAS does it for you it's very easy to make a mistake.

2. Someone is offered an interview, and then a new piece of information comes in that makes it clear that they will not be matching to the program -- they fail Step 2, or there is a major red flag in a late letter or the Dean's letter.

For #1, programs really have no choice but to fix the error with another email, but usually it says something like "We're really sorry, but we sent you the wrong email" rather than just rejecting you.

For #2, it's more complicated. What would you want? To know in advance that your trip is a waste of time, plane fare wasted, etc. but get a chance to take a break for a few days (or cancel the trip altogether) and know the truth, or simply be interviewed, not ranked, and never know. This happens once to me each year, and I always struggle with what to do. I tend to want to tell the person -- it seems only fair to do so. My PA often convinces me not to hurt their feelings unnecessarily. Maybe I'll post a poll?

aProgDirector: I'd personally want to know. hurt feelings do hurt, and ignorance can be bliss, but time and money cannot be replaced. i'd rather not waste hundreds of dollars and days of my life for show and spared feelings only. just my opinion.

I think it is ALWAYS the best policy to just tell candidates the truth. Its a hard enough process - I'd rather have the rejection in hand ---- or, if I knew I wasn't going to match there, I'd much prefer a letter after the interview to take away all that anticipation. But thats just me, I prefer to plan things way ahead of time :)

i think my case belongs to #1...i have decent step scores and LORs (i didn't waive the right to see em...)...so funny but they actually said almost the same thing, "we erroneously sent you an invitation..." *ouch*
i agree, i would rather have a rejection on hand. it just kinda hurt though because i was really happy getting the interview and telling my parents (haha!) then i had to take it back--rollercoaster of the emotions i guess;)
like i said, at least only my pride was hurt, and i haven't bought the plane tickets...so God is still good to me!