Competitive undergrad, low grad grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fourandtwo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys and gals, I’ve been lurking on this forum on and off throughout my journey in life, doing some soul searching. And now I think it’s finally my turn for a “what are my chances” post.

I would be a non-traditional DO applicant. I haven’t taken my MCAT yet, nor have I done shadowing (in the process of reaching out), but so far here are my stats. I calculated these on my own, so they are probably estimates of what the "real" GPA will be:

Undergrad (biotechnology):
Overall GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.695

Master’s (public health)
Overall GPA: 3.295

Unfortunately, I didn’t do so well in grad school. I just wasn’t as engaged by the topic I was studying. It is somewhat related to me being under-satisfied with my current career.

I have volunteered at a hospital in the past (long ago), lived in West Africa for 2 months after undergrad, tutored students with learning disabilities throughout undergrad, TAed virology in grad school, active member in a queers for public health community, and have worked as a professional environmental consultant for 2 years. I'm currently 28 years old, female, still believing in the dream.

I really really want to stay in California...Or close by

Anyway, I often feel too old to go through with this, but the idea lurks in me every year that passes. Any insight or just inspiration/motivation is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys and gals, I’ve been lurking on this forum on and off throughout my journey in life, doing some soul searching. And now I think it’s finally my turn for a “what are my chances” post.

I would be a non-traditional DO applicant. I haven’t taken my MCAT yet, nor have I done shadowing (in the process of reaching out), but so far here are my stats. I calculated these on my own, so they are probably estimates of what the "real" GPA will be:

Undergrad (biotechnology):
Overall GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.695

Master’s (public health)
Overall GPA: 3.295

Unfortunately, I didn’t do so well in grad school. I just wasn’t as engaged by the topic I was studying. It is somewhat related to me being under-satisfied with my current career.

I have volunteered at a hospital in the past (long ago), lived in West Africa for 2 months after undergrad, tutored students with learning disabilities throughout undergrad, TAed virology in grad school, active member in a queers for public health community, and have worked as a professional environmental consultant for 2 years. I'm currently 28 years old, female, still believing in the dream.

I really really want to stay in California...Or close by

Anyway, I often feel too old to go through with this, but the idea lurks in me every year that passes. Any insight or just inspiration/motivation is appreciated.

Bruh.

I'm going to be 31 in a couple of months and am applying for matriculation in the Fall of 2017. I'm also a career changer and it took me about 7.5 years to get to this point. I applied to allopathic schools for the last 2 years, and was interviewed/waitlisted twice with no dice.

My husband's classmate was 45 and she had two kids in highschool.

The oldest MS-1 student at my top choice is 48.

It ain't over until it's over, sugar. If you want it, move Hell and Earth to achieve it.

First of all, for the sake of staying anonymous, please change your avatar (unless it's not you)

Secondly, nothing wrong with your stats. Get high MCAT, and chase your dream. There's WesternU and Touro-CA here in California. :)

And last but not least, good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
If you can do well on your MCAT you should be competitive for DO schools. I'm not sure how the lower grad GPA will be viewed, but your undergrad GPA is great. There are two DO schools in CA.

These forums are full of people older than you, including me. In 12 years you will be 40. You can be 40 and a doctor, or 40 and doing something else, but you'll be 40 either way. If this is what you want then go for it!

Reactions: 1 user
Your chances now depends on your MCAT. GPA is wayy too hard to change and little can be done about it, and your's are too low. Definitely shadow DOs, since some schools require a DO LOR. 28 is definitely not too old! We have someone in our class that's in their 40s. Good luck!

I gotta agree with Goro, per usual. Apply broadly. If you're stuck on California you have to kill the MCAT. If you don't and you're unwilling to go elsewhere you probably won't be going to medical school.