competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue eyes

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a sci gpa of 3.27 and overall gpa of 3.55 from a first tier university. I'm taking the mcat this coming august. Do I even have a chance at the SUNY schools? Should I apply now or apply to postbacc programs? I'm hesitant about the latter because the programs I've heard of are really expensive.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Not too familiar with SUNY schools, I assume you are a NY resident? How are your EC's--hopefully they are strong? The gpa is borderline, so you really need to NAIL the MCAT in August, apply to a range of schools (15-20), and really work on that personal statement if you want to go for it this year. I think you can do it.

And remember that, as with all advice, take this with a grain of NaCl...

It is really somewhat of a waste of time to post that question on sdn. Some will tell you that you are bordeline yet many students get in with those and lower gpa's, and others will tell you that you are competitive and many do not get in with higher stats. Your best bet is to go speak with your pre-med advisor and see what they recommend. Another option you have is to call all the schools that you are interested in and setting up appointments (if they are willing) and asking them if you would be considered a *competitive* applicant. I personally think that the answer already is known by you wether you think that you are competitive or not. You know what your ec's, lor's, awards, research, etc.. you have so you are the one that can better determine if you should apply or not. We all would like for you to be a succesful applicant but sometimes it is hard to tell with just the basic stats presented...I wish you the best though.

A lot will depend on how you do on the MCAT. A high MCAT can certainly compensate for your science GPA (also 3.27 is not THAT bad).

If the high costs of postbac programs turn you off, you can always take classes independently for credit at a local college. Other than missing out on a possible med school admissions linkage arrangment that you find in some of the organized postbac and masters programs, this way is just as good as enrolling in some expensive program. You can classify such coursework as postbaccalaureate on the AMCAS.