Competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

avr

Okay, for those of you who have received interview offers can you please let me know, in reference to your own stats, where I'm competitive for:

gpa 3.67 11V 8PS 10BS R

I have a bunch of secondaries ready to go, but would really like not to spend a million dollars on places that are just not going to bite (and it goes without saying we don't have to worry about schools like Harvard or Johns Hopkins). Thanks. You'll make me a richer person for helping out.

Members don't see this ad.

what sort of question is this?!
of course you're competitive.
did you go to a no name school? do you have excellent lor's? your questions is really difficult to answer without all the info.
if everything else is excellent then you have a shot at some of the more highly ranked schools. if not then you should probably only apply to 1 or 2 that you love and skip the rest.

good job on the MCAT. apply to a wide range: all your state schools, you're probably competitive at many of the east coast middle tier privates: einstein, temple, jefferson, etc. tack on several lower tier privates (finch, drexel, etc) and just for the hell of it drop an app to your "dream school", and assuming you have good ECs and letters, you should be in good shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are average for people who get into med school. I would give it a try if I were you. Assuming everything else is good, and that you interview well, you should have a decent shot at any number of schools.

Hey, you're competitive for any school! :clap: My stats are a few points below yours, and I got 3 interviews so far.

Originally posted by avr
Okay, for those of you who have received interview offers can you please let me know, in reference to your own stats, where I'm competitive for:

gpa 3.67 11V 8PS 10BS R

I have a bunch of secondaries ready to go, but would really like not to spend a million dollars on places that are just not going to bite (and it goes without saying we don't have to worry about schools like Harvard or Johns Hopkins). Thanks. You'll make me a richer person for helping out.

No chance, quit now and consider technical school:p

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. While technical school has been a lifelong dream of mine, I think I'll be safe and just go ahead with a few of my secondaries.

:) :)

Originally posted by avr
I think I'll be safe and just go ahead with a few of my secondaries.

It is not safe to do only a few secondaries, even though your stats are fine. I hope that was part of the joke. Apply to a wide variety of well-chosen schools and you should be fine. Good luck! :)

My definition of "few" is 25. Thanks for looking out for me, though.

(Though I just got a rejection letter from Northwestern w/o even receiving a secondary, so this is a mysterious process indeed).