Competitively Scored IMG looking for residency advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KittyVictoria

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!

I am new to this board and would appreciate any and all advice!

A little background on myself:
-about to start clinical rotations 3rd year
-definitely 100% want to go into plastic surgery
-currently attending Manipal/AUA ....aka I'm an IMG
-first in my class, 4.0 GPA in med 1 + 2
-3.95 GPA in undergrad BA in psychology
-Step 1 score: 269
-was previosly a professional musician, opera major
-now also teaching USMLE review for Step 1
-have a non profit group The Arts In Medicine that does community outreach using artwork in medical education and do volunteer performances with med students

What I want to know
-How should I structure the next 2 years to be the best possible applicant?......I know this is a very competitive field and being from a foreign school puts me at a disadvantage.....but how can I make residnecy directors see past that?
-Any advice where to apply for research?
-Which electives should I try to go for?
I thank all of you ahead of time for any input, I really appreciate this board and the oppurtunity to connect with other students and professionals in the field!😀
 
If anyone reading this would rather contact me personally via email, please do so: [email protected].

Also, if any seniors, residents, fellows etc feel they need more info to accurately asses my current situation, just email or post questions and I will respond promptly!.....

I really appreciate any future help! 😀