MD Competitiveness for IM Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xsxoxfx7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Just got my Step 1 Score (247). I go to a mid-tier but well known MD program in the NE. Is my score high enough to get interviews at top Internal Med programs in competitive places like Boston or NY? I will have very strong LOR, 6+ years of research experience at a top tier research institution (before med school and throughout), started my own IRB-approved study as an MS2 and also was very involved in school's free clinics, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

To answer your question simply, yes your score is high enough. If you don't get an interview, it won't be due to your step score. This idea that you need a 250+ to have a chance at a top specialty or top program needs to go away.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah it's good enough, now focus on getting good clinical grades and LOR's.

Everyone immediately wants to know what programs they will be competitive for after getting their step 1... One step at a time, people.

Reactions: 1 user
If it’s not a top program aoa will be very important. If it’s a top 20 program (which it doesn’t sound like it is) then I would say definitely yes. If it isn’t and it really is mid tier then I’d say yes you have a shot because of your strong research but they’ll still be reaches unless you get aoa then they’ll be more “target” programs

Reactions: 1 user
To answer your question simply, yes your score is high enough. If you don't get an interview, it won't be due to your step score. This idea that you need a 250+ to have a chance at a top specialty or top program needs to go away.
Ugh thank you for saying this. Really dude with a 247 you can apply to whatever you want. I think after 240+ its all the other things that will make the difference. Research, LORs, clinical performance. So sounds like the only thing that can stop you now is terrible first impressions during interviews but if you have gotten this far and have great LOR I dont think it will be a problem.