Competitiveness for Ophtho Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jskatz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an MS3 who is interested in matching to Ophtho. I am trying to figure out, first, if I have a shot, and if so, where I should focus my energies in applying and doing away rotations. I will share my stats, and would appreciate any guidance anyone can offer. Thank you in advance.

I was a business major in college and graduated in 2005. I worked, and then did peace corps in West Africa, which is where I decided on medicine. Came home and did a postbac, and now, as I said, am a MS3. My first two years, I received honors in all courses except maybe 4 (honors/pass system). Between years 1 and 2, I volunteered in Africa to perform a survey for International Medical Corps. I scored a 251 on step 1.

Now in third year, I have generally good-excellent comments, and have so far scored a HP in psych and obgyn, and an honors in surgery. Unfortunately, I am almost sure that I will not be AOA. I am just now getting involved in my first research project which is ophthalmologic, and am scheduled to split pediatrics and participate in a 4 week ophthalmology elective during my third year at my home institution.

My interest in ophthalmology, specifically, stems from the fact that my father is an ophthalmologist, and so have been exposed to it at at least a very superficial level for my whole life.

So again, obviously, I'd like to go to the best school possible, but realize that I don't stand a chance for a place like Hopkins. I would like to stay in a medium-large city, but will go anywhere.

Can anyone offer any advice for where I should look into applying and where I should spend my 8 weeks of electives at the beginning of 4th year?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you again.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah - look into applying in all the programs in cities that you consider "medium/large." Apply to all the top programs since the cost to apply is low compared to the regret of not applying to them. Applying to all the top programs won't hurt.

Freida has all the statistics for residency training programs: Link Here.
Just search for ophthalmology programs in place you'd want to live, and go from there. Try to do an away rotation or two at the programs you like the most after searching through them.

Your stats look good. I'm sure you'll be fine through the match assuming you are socially comfortable and easy to talk to.