complaints about USC vs other schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Here it is....stats speak louder than words and mere speculation, these are the raw true numbers presented by the top chief at USC Dental clinic:
The following statistics on the percentage of seniors graduating in a particular month of a particular year were presented by Dr. Mulvehill during the last town meeting.



YEAR: (below) Grad MONTH: MAY AUG DEC

--------- ------------------------------------

2003 78% 99% 100%

2004 71% 94% 99

2005 74 95 98

2006 34 84 88

2007 18 ? ?

Once again, this are the true numbers from USC Dental and personally, I feel this are atrocious and worrysome numbers. Once again, if these are not scary stats, I do no what will. Namotu will, perhaps, change his point of view once he enters the clinic and gets to live the nightmares of the clinic here at SC. Go Bruins!!!!

If you don't graduate on time do you have to continue to pay tuition? Of course, your cost of living will still be there. Do they offer financial aid so you can still continue to pay your rent, possible tuition, etc.?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, you are required to pay tuition. The tuition isn't nearly as bad as losing the money you could be making working as a dentist.
 
That still does not mean you can insult someone with vulgar, sexually charged, sexist comments just because you do not like what you hear.

At least I was the bigger person and apologized for stepping slightly out of line only 1/1000th the severity of what you did. You directly attacked me, and have not once apologized to me through the message board or PM. Not that I want your apology, or it will mean anything at this point, as you have shown your true colors, but

Saying you are "just a predent" gives you no excuse to write the awful things you wrote. I would have been a whole lot more impressed if you could have debated logically about the topic, instead of attacking me with sexist and crude comments.

Just because my opinion is different, and you do not like what you hear doesn't mean you have the right to attack me.

Good luck at SC next year.

hey.. jeninny44... i really am sorry if it makes you feel any better... it definitely was super out of line and immature of me to say the things i did... and if i could take it back i would... but like columbia said... you wanna call me an idiot... ill give you a mouth full... you might want to think things through before you start saying things about people.. you wanted a logical debate of the topic... YOU should've kept it that way... thats all i will say about this...

and thank you... it looks like i will need all the luck possible to graduate from usc.... right columbia?
 
Not to :beat: but let's not forget that you did call me an idiot. Good luck with your pity party.


I hope that the effort we are trying to put on changing how USC run's there clinic will work. We aren’t doing it for us, what changes they make wont help us, but will help YOU and the classes to come.

I don't see how you can even make rude remarks or comments on something when (1) you are not in dental school, and (2) when you are, you are going to be a freshman doing nothing but studying for part 1, waxing up teeth, and screwing up amalgam preps on fake teeth.

Hopefully all the "complaining" we are doing, will make a difference, so you get here and say.... "Why were the 08's and 09's complaining, this program is awesome!!!"

thank you.

ps: Every school has there problems.... research the schools, find their pros/cons... and enjoy yourself.
 
I hope that the effort we are trying to put on changing how USC run's there clinic will work. We aren't doing it for us, what changes they make wont help us, but will help YOU and the classes to come.

I don't see how you can even make rude remarks or comments on something when (1) you are not in dental school, and (2) when you are, you are going to be a freshman doing nothing but studying for part 1, waxing up teeth, and screwing up amalgam preps on fake teeth.

Hopefully all the "complaining" we are doing, will make a difference, so you get here and say.... "Why were the 08's and 09's complaining, this program is awesome!!!"

thank you.

ps: Every school has there problems.... research the schools, find their pros/cons... and enjoy yourself.

I'm sorry if you though I was being rude, but Jeninny44 is not a particularly honest person. Additionally, I'm glad that the students at SC' are willing to stand up for what they believe in and fight the system that is preventing them from moving on with their lives. I have never intended to discredit anything any of the SC' dental students have said, as their comments are obviously the most pertinent to this discussion. However, I've made comments based off my own experiences as an SC' undergrad as well as things I've heard from friends who are in the Class of 2009 and 2010 who absolutely love SC' dental. Finally, I would like to have a civilized discussion with people who will ultimately be my colleagues in dental school and beyond. Good luck with your quest for change! If things improve, the class of 2011 will surely recognize the hurdles the classes ahead of us have had to jump.
 
I'm sorry if you though I was being rude, but Jeninny44 is not a particularly honest person. Additionally, I'm glad that the students at SC' are willing to stand up for what they believe in and fight the system that is preventing them from moving on with their lives. I have never intended to discredit anything any of the SC' dental students have said, as their comments are obviously the most pertinent to this discussion. However, I've made comments based off my own experiences as an SC' undergrad as well as things I've heard from friends who are in the Class of 2009 and 2010 who absolutely love SC' dental. Finally, I would like to have a civilized discussion with people who will ultimately be my colleagues in dental school and beyond. Good luck with your quest for change! If things improve, the class of 2011 will surely recognize the hurdles the classes ahead of us have had to jump.

ditto
 
I go to USC and I will tell you that the ones who are unhappy are definately the loudest. Sure it has its downside but you will get a quality education with a ton of clinical experience. Between all of the outreach programs (ex. mobile clinic, ayuda clinics, chidrens dental center, queens care clinic) and the regular clinic you will see more things at USC then most other schools. definately the graduation percent of the class of 2007 is concerning but most of those that are not done will be done within the next month. So don't base your decision off of the negativity of a few outspoken people
 
One thing is certain, SC' dental students seem to have the most unique SDN usernames (major sarcasm). Thanks for the input! See you next year.
 
I go to USC and I will tell you that the ones who are unhappy are definately the loudest. Sure it has its downside but you will get a quality education with a ton of clinical experience. Between all of the outreach programs (ex. mobile clinic, ayuda clinics, chidrens dental center, queens care clinic) and the regular clinic you will see more things at USC then most other schools. definately the graduation percent of the class of 2007 is concerning but most of those that are not done will be done within the next month. So don't base your decision off of the negativity of a few outspoken people

thank you for speaking up.... and btw... nice name....
 
You guys actually do believe that you can score above 95 on part I by only attending lectures from 8AM to 5PM? If that is how you really think, get real... You spend your own time to prepare for part I.

Clinic? You just convince your patients. I had one complete denture patient that my senior gave up, but I kept calling and convinced him to come over. It is amazing that old enought people (class of 2008 at SC av age is 29 (2008 incoming student avg age was 26)) still want school to babysit them for patients. I wonder how many of you guys showed up to emergency whenever you do not have chairs. I am pretty sure most of you just went home. I see same students over and over at the clinic floor and they do their jobs. In the real world, I do not think anyone will just bring free food to your table.
 
I go to USC and I will tell you that the ones who are unhappy are definately the loudest. Sure it has its downside but you will get a quality education with a ton of clinical experience. Between all of the outreach programs (ex. mobile clinic, ayuda clinics, chidrens dental center, queens care clinic) and the regular clinic you will see more things at USC then most other schools. definately the graduation percent of the class of 2007 is concerning but most of those that are not done will be done within the next month. So don't base your decision off of the negativity of a few outspoken people

I don't attend USC, but I have to disagree strongly with this post. What you have written here is pie in the sky. There is no way in the world that any professional school with or without USC's astronomical tuition should have such abominable graduation rates of any one year. It is inexcusable and completely unacceptable.

It never ceases to amaze me that no matter how blatant or mismanaged a situation is, someone is going to show up and attempt to diffuse the situation by diluting responsibility.

USC, like most dental schools, doesn't care enough about its students to do right by them, and like most dental schools will get what it deserves: Not a dam cent from any alumni whose head isn't in the sand.
 
I go to USC and I will tell you that the ones who are unhappy are definately the loudest. Sure it has its downside but you will get a quality education with a ton of clinical experience. Between all of the outreach programs (ex. mobile clinic, ayuda clinics, chidrens dental center, queens care clinic) and the regular clinic you will see more things at USC then most other schools. definately the graduation percent of the class of 2007 is concerning but most of those that are not done will be done within the next month. So don't base your decision off of the negativity of a few outspoken people

Do you know what is being done to fix the problems at USC? Anything concrete?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sick of listening to pre-dents or dental students from other schools talk about SC... saying how "it's prob not that bad, every school's got their problems.." or commenting on why we aren't graduating on time. If you aren't here, you should really stfu cause you dont know jack s---.
 
Do you know what is being done to fix the problems at USC? Anything concrete?

they had a big ass meeting with the people who donate millions to this school (who are pretty damn pissed at the dean).. and they are trying to fix things... Looks like they are gonna change it to a rotation system, but I dont think they can perfect anything in 2 months. Rough roads ahead...
 
i'll admit up front, i'm posting this because I'm trying to make a decision about which school to go to.

but reading around on these forums, both here & in predent, has me curious about something... (and the reason i'm posting here among the dental students will become clear as my question emerges)

So there have been a number of very negative posts about USC - straight up "don't come here" style;

...along w/ those defending vehemently "it's fine!"

...and those being more moderate "yeah, there are problems, but it's getting better"

So here's my question:

Given the understanding that no school is perfect and that every class at every school will have those who are unhappy with stuff there...:

Is it just that the unhappy USC students are more vocal (and that there are people who feel this negative at every school?)

OR

Can I infer that things are indeed worse at USC than at other schools (despite all schools having problems)?


i.e. IF there are those among you NOT at USC and feel strongly negative, could you say so? (don't necessarily vent here; but just say that you do)

Otherwise, to be honest, i'm gonna be left with this idea that there are distinct problems at USC (large gaps in learning, difficulty graduating on time, etc)

again, thanks for your input

Any school, organization, or business, even McDonald's with incompetent leadership will not run correctly. I admit first hand that I have never stepped foot on USC's campus, but there is no way in the world this many people could be that frustrated if at least half of it weren't true. What are they? Pissed off UCLA students or Pac 10 pundents with nothing else to do?

I would avoid USC or anything where management could not right itself. Don't do it to yourself. From what is posted on here, you will wind up spending a fortune on 5 yrs of dental school and age 20 years in the process.