Completely bummed out!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slptodoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, Southern Virginia scores came......

My scores were truly bad.........in fact, I kept looking for another paper to show my "real" scores.....

I don't know what happened! Other than the fact that I NEVER do well on standardized tests like this!

I'm so frustrated that this $#%^ test will keep me from going to med school!
I have no doubt that I would be a good doctor and yet, I may never get the chance........
I'm very sad and depressed...............

Should I call AMCAS and have them hold on to my application until I retake it in April??? I'm afraid of the schools seeing this and completely writing me off..........

Don't ask for my scores, let's put it that way............

Wow, I'm really in shock! I just feel numb!
I want to cry and can't yet......

I'll quit rambling....

Thanks for "listening"
L :( :( :( :(

Members don't see this ad.

Please don't give up. Honestly, I would not withdraw my app. You have REAL healthcare experience, not the "let's get it for med school" type. Where did you apply? Find out what they're looking for. Don't dispair just yet. :D

hey ATC,
Thanks so much for the response and encouragement! I finally let go and cried and already broke the news to my hubby and mom...... they won't say it, but I know they're disappointed "for me"....
I have this guilt for not doing better after spending so much time studying, taking time away from my husband.

I'm very disappointed in myself...........

I know the docs and RNs and my collegues in rehab are all going to ask me about my scores tomorrow and I'm afraid I'll break down..........

I guess I'm also afraid that all of my collegues (MD's.......) will be disappointed in me too.....

Yes, I know that "ultimately" doesn't matter and actually, they'll probably just smile and say "try again!" but that feeling/apprehension won't go away easily....... you know what I mean????

Hopefully, I can get all of my tears out of my system tonight!

Thanks again for the nice words!
I appreciate it! .....and need it right now.......
L

Members don't see this ad :)
............I hate to beg........
but I really need some encouragement....
I'm all alone with my "other half" away serving the military and even though I spoke with him briefly, it's very quiet here tonight.....
I think my dogs even know how upset I am......... they're just laying on my feet....
thanks for any encouraging words.....
L

Hi,

I think what you need to do is emphasize your other experiences. Someone mentioned you had real medical experience, I don't know what it is, but maybe it will be significant enough to get you in?

Maybe they will see your genuineness and accept you?

I want you to feel better..please don't give up on it!! Can you call someone to be with you? A friend? A family member? Maybe you can go out for dinner or see a movie.

Alicia

If I lived in Virginia, I'd go shopping with you right now - that helps me sometimes.

If you feel like your score is really terrible, you can retake it (April is better than August, because then you can wait for your scores before applying). Just got to figure out that damn MCAT - I believe there's a fine line to "getting" a grasp of those darn questions - it's not how much you know as how you use it - it took me quite some time to figure that one out (I took it twice).
Hang in there, you can do it!
-ln

Hey,
Please don't be too upset! I know it's difficult and stressful and not fun in the least... but you are much more than your score, more than just a couple of numbers and a random letter. I'm sorry your score was not what you hoped, but I hope that you're feeling better. And you can always vent here. :)
elle :)

slptodoc,

Sorry to hear about your scores. Maybe they are not as bad as you think. We are always harder on ourselves. I don't know what experience you have but the other poster is right. You may be able to play up your experience. I'm a registerd nurse and my interviewers spent a lot of time talking about that and seemed impressed with the fact that I have real experience and not just a couple semester shadowing or volunteering. You may want to go ahead and apply especially to your state schools. Good luck and I've already sent up a special prayer for you in your time of distress.

Hey there. Perhaps I can share a couple of stories with you that will make you feel better. First of all, hang in there...I want you to know that the MCAT is NOT a reflection of your ability to be a good physician. With your background, only YOU know how competent you are, and you must rely on that...don't let the exam cause you to question your dreams.
I don't know your age, so I'll share a couple of stories with you from friends of different ages. One, mid 30's, is truly an exceptional person. He is one of the brightest, friendliest, most competent people I know and he too has had dreams of becoming a physician...and has been trying for over 5 years. The MCAT is in his way. I want you to know that there are people out there who WILL make excellent doctors, and will change and heal lives. Let him, although you don't know him, stand as an example and role...an exceptional person who is committed to pursuing his dreams. You need to do the same. He is also married, and I know from speaking with him how hard it is to let your significant other know that all the time you put into the exam "has gone to waste". You must not feel this way. Your husband is obviously a person of high integrity as evident by his service, and he'll understand.
Now a story of success. One of my good friends (age 23) just took the exam for the second time (22 first, 24 this time around). She already has three interviews. My point is, the MCAT, again, is NOT a reflection of who you are or of your competence...you can still succeed and achieve your goals dispite this obstacle. Hang in there and keep plugging away. I know you can succeed. Take care of yourself. Smile right now...just do it. Cry a little. Smile again, and look forward to tomorrow. You might not have nailed it this time, but take the attitude that next time you WILL. Look forward to that. Write again if I can be of any help.

Hey slptodoc,
I know you are felling very bad, and you'll probably going to feek worse when people ask about your scores tomorrow.... I know, I've been there. But trust me it gets better. Dont give up hope. Just think of this whole process as a learning experience for next year. You'll be well ahead of the game when you apply next year. You have a lot of time now to prepare for the MCAT at your own pace. You already have all your letters of Rec. You can work on your application (personal Statement) so that you can have it in on June 1st. See, it's not all bad. Plus you have a very distinct advantage with a April MCAT than a August MCAT. So just forget the past and focus on what lies ahead. There's nothing you can do to make these scores better, butthere is a lot you CAN do for next year. Just keep your spirits up..... and I have a feeling you'll be fine.

Thanks you guys for the prayers, encouraging words and stories....
I know I'm not alone in this......

Does anyone know if you've already applied then have to retake the MCAT, if you have to re-due your entire application or is it still good and you just pay them more money.......... (I know, terrible run-on sentence.....)

I worked so hard, as did the rest of you,
on my personal statement and honestly,
I don't think I could ever come up with one as good as the one I submitted....... I really labored over it and had several of my "doc" friends read and proofread it!

I don't know if the school will even look at my application to see my "true skills and unique background" if they look at my score first............ I guess I can hope...........

If not, I will continue focus on my goals because I really believe it's what I'm meant to do......... I had one of my pts ask me today "when will you be a doc so you can become my physician?" That patient and many others like her, is one of the main reasons I want to pursue this career change.....

Without knowing any of you, I feel like we become friends through this network!
We put the competition aside and truly root for and support each other......

How wonderful is that ?!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, thanks you guys!
L

Hullo! I am 28 years old, and am five years removed from my undergraduate graduation (I took five years) where I was a horrible horrible student. It has been a painful five years, trudging throught some rather menial labor and going through an obscene amount of self-loathing, because I knew about the reality of getting into medical school. That having been said, please understand that there are people who understand your predicament. I just got my scores also. As for holding your AMCAS...DON'T. The last score they accept is for the August. You've already applied, and please see this through. Schools like Medical College of Wisconsin, Boston University and the University of Vermont are VERY interested in you as a person, rather than a collection of scores. BU just asks that you send a 100 dollar check and a picture for their secondary, because they really hate dilly-dallying while waiting for another useless essay they don't need to read. Instead, they realize that the collection of material in your application will speak for you as a complete applicant.

As for the April MCAT...well, if you haven't received an interview request by then, please plan on taking it. Unlike this cycle, you will have your entire packet ready and will be one of the first considered in the application process.

Finally, don't despair about this one test. As you can see, I've been at it for quite a while. This is my first application process, but I've been committed to this future for a long time, and I am confident that whether I get in this year, or the next, I will get in. And in my struggle, I will be absolutely and rabidly devoted to my future patients. Don't despair, because there are so many tomorrows out there, and the only thing you MAY have lost is an opportunity to graduate from medical school one year earlier. Take a preparation course like the Princeton Review or Kaplan to improve your score, and I'll see you at your White Coat Ceremony. Best of Luck, and remember that the perfection of medical delivery is tiled together with the tears and sweat of past struggle and failure. We are all in this together, and I am absolutely serious about saying that.

Joon

All right.. time to dust off my story again.

Okay, the first time I took the MCAT was August of 1995. I was already finished with my AMCAS, and beginning my senior year at UCSD. My GPA had suffered due to my first two years as a Biophysics major. I bumped it up to a 3.2 by this time and still had to work to get it up. Anyhoos, I got my scores, 7V, 11P, 10B. That verbal score killed me. Yet, I still tried. I applied to 30 schools, got a handful of secondaries, no interviews, thanks for the memories.

So, I was distraught of course. Much like you are now. But I did try. I didn't withdraw any applications, and I pulled myself up and said, dammit, I'm going to try again. So I did. I enrolled at UCSD for a one-year MS, and took the MCAT that August. They say you don't go up, but somehow I went to a 9V, 14P and an 11B. I applied to 25 schools, a couple more secondaries, no interviews, have a good life.

This was a turning point for me. I worked hard, just like all of you have. I had a dream and slowly it was slipping away. I actually decided to fold it up and turn to basic science. I've been working on a phd at USC ever since. Now that I'm graduating, I can either go for a spot in industry, or the dreaded post doc. Instead, I said, 'Hey, why not give that old med school another try?'. So, I took that damn MCAT a third time (my scores had long expired). I studied my ass off since I certainly didn't want to go down. That verbal still bit at me. That was the part I was determined to better myself in, hopeully not at the expense of my other scores. I went into like it was the most important test of my life (because, in all actuality, it was - I'm not taking it a 4th time). I was not going to let this pissant of a test keep me from doing what I wanted to do. So, I came out with an 11V (!) a 12P and a 13B. The goosebumps could be felt for miles. Now, I have to fly to Vermont on Monday, then drive to Syracuse for another interview. Come back, stay a day and fly to Hawaii for a third. Hopefully there will be more interviews for me when I get back.

The moral of the story is, "Do not ever ever give up". Take the punches but fight right back. If this is what you really really want to do, you have to persevere. I've read countless posts these past few days about how people's lives are over because of a B in Chem (I got several Bs in many classes, I don't lose sleep) or a bad grade on part of the MCAT. There is so much more to the application than these scores or grades. You need to believe in yourself to succeed in this endeavor.

Andrew

slptodoc,

I'm sorry to hear your scores have disappointed you. The MCAT is a real hurdle for a lot of people. I think it is extremely common for people to take the test multiple times.

If I were you, I would probably continue with my application cycle. After all, you already paid the money. I think this year is a good year for everyone because they will probably have fewer applicants than usual. You never know!

Also, I would plan to take the test again in April. I know it sucks! I'd also recommend a prep class if you didn't take one already. More than studying the material, it's important to study the test. The prep courses have tons of practice material, and it helped me a lot. I did every single practice problem/test in the Kaplan library. Also, the prep courses help you learn to budget your time during the test.

If VR is your weakness, start now on reading articles in some of the "difficult" journals, and summarizing each paragraph and then the whole article as you go. Try to read as much as you can - read instead of watching TV. That's the only thing I can think of that might help (except doing a million VR practice tests).

Anyway, I hope that you feel better soon. I know how frustrating this whole process can be. I've also heard that the curve on the August test can be tougher than the April test because there are so many re-takers and also students often have the whole summer to study.

I hope things work out for you this cycle after all.

First of all, thanks so much for all of the great responses so far........ I've read them a couple of times and decided to print them out to help keep me inspired and focused.

This morning i dread more than anything..... going into the work at the hospital and having people ask...........
They've all been sooooo great and behind me all the way!

You know, I think the hardest thing is that all of them kept saying "Why are you worried? You'll get the score, you're going to be a great doctor, Don't worry!"
Hmmmmmmmm

Oh well, these folks are my friends as well as colleagues (sp?) and I know that they will continue to support me...... I guess i should have more faith in their friendship too........

Anyway, I'll quit rambling so I can get out the door and face the day........

thanks again and good luck to all of you as well.

L (still sad but feeling a little better thanks to all of you at SDN!)
:)

If you choose to take it again in April, you can do something active to feel better. Take a couple of weeks for yourself and then start preparing now. Take it easy at first, an hour a day, tops, then slowly add more until you really feel ready. This would help me, maybe it could work for you.

slptdoc, all you have to do is read Andrew's post. I love reading the story, because this guy's efforts are truly inspirational. Things always work out if you are motivated and persistent. Best of luck. You can do it!