Completely idiotic things admin are capable of

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why was "admin" even aware of this case and making decisions about it?

It's "against protocol" for the nurses to send someone home with an IV, so it took them 3 hours between the charge nurse, and house supervisor to figure out they couldn't send her home with an IV. I told them that I thought it was literally the stupidest nonsense I had ever seen.

Members don't see this ad.

Glad I work at a place where nurses do still most often remind me that I'm the doctor and can do whatever I think is best.
It's "against protocol" for the nurses to send someone home with an IV, so it took them 3 hours between the charge nurse, and house supervisor to figure out they couldn't send her home with an IV. I told them that I thought it was literally the stupidest nonsense I had ever seen.

Cool. So get me the AOC, and have that person call the hospitalist and tell them they have to admit this patient since I can't keep them in the ER. Otherwise, I'm going to transfer them to another hospital. Kthxbye.

This reminds me of the time I had to transfer a patient for chest pain from a freestanding. The patient refused to go by ambulance due to cost, but was willing to be admitted. So I had them sign AMA for no ambulance transport, and told the nurse to get their transfer packet ready. The nurse refused. Said all the "it's my license" nonsense. Said we couldn't transfer without an ambulance. So when I asked her why it was ok for the patient to get in their car and go home, but not to the hospital, she doubled down. I ended up printing off the packet myself and just having the patient leave on their own. And then the hospital called her for report. It was great.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cool. So get me the AOC, and have that person call the hospitalist and tell them they have to admit this patient since I can't keep them in the ER. Otherwise, I'm going to transfer them to another hospital. Kthxbye.

This reminds me of the time I had to transfer a patient for chest pain from a freestanding. The patient refused to go by ambulance due to cost, but was willing to be admitted. So I had them sign AMA for no ambulance transport, and told the nurse to get their transfer packet ready. The nurse refused. Said all the "it's my license" nonsense. Said we couldn't transfer without an ambulance. So when I asked her why it was ok for the patient to get in their car and go home, but not to the hospital, she doubled down. I ended up printing off the packet myself and just having the patient leave on their own. And then the hospital called her for report. It was great.
I'm hoping said nurse was not employed for much longer after that

One can't fire nurses. What's a FP doing up so late?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
He said it was at the freestanding ED, should be able to fire whoever from one of those.

And it was 6:13am my time
The boss can. I can't.
And plenty of FSEDs are actually HOPDs (hospital outpatient departments) meaning the nurses are still hospital employees and therefore untouchable.