Completing a post-bacc after being out of school for a few years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phxsea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am completing a self-created post-bacc at my local state university (not certain if I should post which one) and will be taking upper division biology courses to make up for my not super high science GPA (3.2). I took A&P last spring and received a 4.0, but took general chemistry in 2012, biology 2012-2013, and organic chemistry 2012-2013 so it has been a while... Any suggestions for preparing for these courses?

I am taking:
Cell biology
Biochemistry (plus lab)
Genetics
Microbiology (plus lab).

Concepts to review, helpful study resources, anything is appreciated!

Edit: I understand the rigors of the course load and once I begin if I feel that it'll be too much I will drop a class. I have taken a quarter of 20 science credits and ended with a 3.8 overall so I am aware of what I am signing up for. I am also meeting with an advisor to see what they recommend. Right now I am in a position to prepare for these courses and am looking for resources, study and review suggestions to help me prepare for the classes! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just don't take them all at the same time.

Just don't take them all at the same time.
Unfortunately due to financial reasons, I am going to see if I can manage all four at the same time. If it seems unmanageable before the drop period ends, I plan to drop one of the courses. I do appreciate the input though, I know it's going to be quite challenging!

Members don't see this ad :)
Be prepared to actually be taking 6 classes instead of 4. Most of the time, the lab will count as its own class, course-load-wise.

Be prepared to actually be taking 6 classes instead of 4. Most of the time, the lab will count as its own class, course-load-wise.
Yep! The labs are separate so overall ends up being 15 credits.

Those are all easy courses, but the one that will take up the most time is Biochemistry. My suggestion to you is: get a head start on Biochemistry; see if you can get a syllabus from the instructor with the schedule/outline of the class. If you are able to get a syllabus start reviewing and preparing for your first exam. If you take all those courses at the same time and fall behind in Biochemistry the other classes with suffer too. If your early review for your Biochemistry exam is difficult, and you are struggling to learn the early material - you should try and take it separately. The other courses have general concepts you should already know.

Hello!

I am completing a self-created post-bacc at my local state university (not certain if I should post which one) and will be taking upper division biology courses to make up for my not super high science GPA (3.2). I took A&P last spring and received a 4.0, but took general chemistry in 2012, biology 2012-2013, and organic chemistry 2012-2013 so it has been a while... Any suggestions for preparing for these courses?

I am taking:
Cell biology
Biochemistry (plus lab)
Genetics
Microbiology (plus lab).

Those are all easy courses, but the one that will take up the most time is Biochemistry. My suggestion to you is: get a head start on Biochemistry; see if you can get a syllabus from the instructor with the schedule/outline of the class. If you are able to get a syllabus start reviewing and preparing for your first exam. If you take all those courses at the same time and fall behind in Biochemistry the other classes with suffer too. If your early review for your Biochemistry exam is difficult, and you are struggling to learn the early material - you should try and take it separately. The other courses have general concepts you should already know.
Thank you! This is very helpful. I have started to flip through the book but the syllabus is a great idea.

Thank you! This is very helpful. I have started to flip through the book but the syllabus is a great idea.

Oh, and avoid the W at all costs. Waiting is better than having a W on your transcript.

Hello!

I am taking:
Cell biology
Biochemistry (plus lab)
Genetics
Microbiology (plus lab).

I don't think its going to end very well for you if you take all of them at the same time lol... Maybe drop genetics or cell biology.

Oh, and avoid the W at all costs. Waiting is better than having a W on your transcript.
Yeah I think I have a month or so to drop before it shows up as a W so I can get a feel for the course load before committing to anything. I withdrew from biochemistry the first time I tried to take it because of some life events and I withdrew the day after it starts showing up on your transcript. But I appreciate the reminder, waiting is better than having Ws on your transcript.

I don't think its going to end very well for you if you take all of them at the same time lol... Maybe drop genetics or cell biology.
If I drop I think I'll probably be dropping microbiology because of my schedule. Will keep in mind thank you!