This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RNG-coffee-machine

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the second year of a Ph.D., and I am applying to medical school after finishing the Ph.D. I would like to know your thoughts on how I can meet the course prerequisites for medical school.

Bio: I took 1 semester of intro to bio with lab at CC in 2010. Should I take more bio? I took 400-level neurobiology and 500-level kinesiology in grad school, but I don't know if that helps with a bio requirement.

Math: I have taken 1 year calculus, 1 semester discrete math, 1 semester linear algebra, all at university.

Chem, physics, biochem: I see recommended that I take 1 year chem with lab, 1 year organic chem with lab, 1 year physics with lab, 1 semester biochem. I do not have any of these.

What do students applying out of Ph.D. do for prereqs? I might be able to take a few courses, but I doubt my adviser will let me take a bunch of undergrad chem courses. Is a postbaccheloreate program the right thing to do?

Members don't see this ad.

I took my missing classes (ochem, biochem, psych) during a postbac as a nondegree student at a small 4 year college as well as a community college. With your undergrad degree and a PhD, you may have somewhat less pressure to do a postbac through a 4 year college (as a non degree student) and instead go to a community college (cheaper). If you had a lower undergrad GPA, or primarily non science courses, you may still benefit from taking those courses at a 4 year college (for the perceived difference in rigor). There's no need to enroll in a fulltime or formal program if you don't want to though.

When considering your options, note that your grad classes won't really be taken into account for academics. The research experience is good, but the coursework is considered grade inflated.

To emphasize some of the comedic aspect of applying with graduate work: I am currently taking a semester of general chemistry to give myself a full year of general chemistry for my applications. As an undergrad I took 2/3 of a year (quarter system school), I then pursued a chemistry/engineering related MS research degree, and finally in a postbac took 1 year ochem and 1 semester of biochem. Despite years in a lab for grad school, and the more advanced coursework, about 50% of the schools I contacted said I needed a full year of general chemistry (based on their written requirement) and that I couldn't make a substitution, etc. I don't know if it's an accreditation mandate of some kind, or they are just particular, but I would definitely do everything you can to complete the requirements (as posted), and not assume "I've done more advanced stuff... it should be ok!"

There's a mod who has a PhD (and others) who will likely be able to give you a more thorough response, but it's definitely possible post PhD.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, NonTrad16. I've heard that a Ph.D. is basically considered a fancy extracurricular. Sounds like your case supports that.

My undergrad GPA was 3.85, but the undergrad courses were mostly nonscience. It might make sense to take the missing courses at a university.

Although grad courses don't count towards prereqs, how about undergraduate-level courses taken as a graduate student? I ask because it might be possible to take some of the prereqs while finishing up the Ph.D.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

If the courses are somehow taken in pursuit of your PhD, I still think they would be parsed into the "graduate school" category on your application. That would probably be less favorable compared to non degree postbac classes that would have their own line item. At least in my mind. It buries them and could be a bit more complicated to sort out.

If you took them at the same time/university but didn't apply them to your PhD, I think you could reasonably classify them as "postbac" classes on AMCAS.

I'm not certain how that would work though...