Complex vs USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CampUnity

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether DO students have to take the COMPLEX or the USMLE or having to take both? Could you (as a DO student) take only the USMLE only and if so, what are the ramifications?

Members don't see this ad.

The COMLEX is required for all DO's. The USMLE is optional. All states license DO's after passing all 3 levels of the COMLEX and a few states (ie ones w/o separate medical boards) will also license DO's after completion of all 3 steps of the USMLE.

Do you have to take the COMLEX? Yes

Do you have to take the USMLE? To get a license, no. Some schools (I think VCOM) still require it to graduate.

Could you only take the USMLE? Yes
What would be the ramifications? You would not be able to graduate from school or ever get a license to practice Osteopathic Medicine. The COMLEX is the ONLY path to a license for a DO in the US.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Taus.

COMLEX is not optional. If you don't take or pass COMLEX 1, then you cannot continue in your 3rd year. Starting with the graduating Class of 2008, if you do not pass COMLEX 2 (both exams, the computer and the PE exam) ... you cannot graduate.

If you do not take COMLEX 3 (and finish out the series), you cannot be licensed in California, Florida, Oklahoma, Vermont, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. You cannot get initial licensure in Michigan and Tennessee if you did not finish the COMLEX series (but they will accept USMLE if you want a licensed based on reciprocity from another state)

USMLE for DO students is completely optional. Please do a search to find the pros and cons of taking the USMLE.

This is FALSE. Yet another example of the idiocy and heresay that is unfortunately perpetuated on this site rather frequently. I am a DO. I am licensed in the state in which I am completing my residency. I have not taken the final step of the COMLEX. I achieved my licensure through all 3 steps of the USMLE. I have a full and unrestricted medical license though I have never and will never complete the entire COMLEX series.

I think the post about the COMLEX as a necessity is wrong....you can be a fully licensed physician as a D.O without completing the COMLEX series...it has been done through the USMLE only....but it's probably easier as a DO to finish out with the COMLEX series.

This is FALSE. Yet another example of the idiocy and heresay that is unfortunately perpetuated on this site rather frequently. I am a DO. I am licensed in the state in which I am completing my residency. I have not taken the final step of the COMLEX. I achieved my licensure through all 3 steps of the USMLE. I have a full and unrestricted medical license though I have never and will never complete the entire COMLEX series.
come on now...except for that last line he had it mostly right....and its not like you never took two-thirds of the COMLEX series

If you don't finish out the COMLEX series but finish the USMLE series, you will be fine with most states.

Without the comlex series being completed, you cannot get a unrestricted license to practice osteopathic medicine in the states of California, Florida, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Vermont, and West Virginia.

You cannot get your initial licensure in Michigan or Tennessee if you did not finish the COMLEX series ... however, they will accept USMLE scores if you have an unrestricted license (in good standing) from another state and applying for MI or TN licensure.

*this issue is seperate from the required AOA-approved intern year that is required in PA, MI, WV, OK, and FL

EDIT: The following is copied and pasted (with some info edit out for brevity) from the AOA Osteopathic Licensure Summary Guide (pub Aug 2006). If you have any question relating to licensure, please address them to the proper licensing board.

CALIFORNIA
Educational requirements:
Graduation from an AOA and California Board-approved college
Postgraduate training: One year approved by AOA or ACGME, which includes at least four months of general medicine in an approved postgraduate training program. Straight psychiatry, pathology, or anesthesiology residencies will not be accepted. The four months of general medicine shall not apply to applicants who completed their one year of postgraduate training on or before July 1, 1990.
Examinations accepted: COMLEX, NBOME
Other requirement: Applicants should allow 16 weeks for fingerprint card to clear proper channels.
Reciprocity or Endorsement: The Board shall issue an osteopathic physician's and surgeon's certificate on reciprocity to an applicant providing he or she meets the following requirements: the applicant must hold an unrestricted license to practice osteopathic medicine in another state whose written licensing examination is recognized and approved by the Board. Each state's written examination will be reviewed on an individual basis; the Board has determined that the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners' (NBOME) examination sequence (parts I, II, and III) is acceptable as a recognized written examination; the Board has determined that the passage of NBOME's examination parts I & II and FLEX Component II (substituted for part III) with a minimum score of 75 is acceptable as a recognized written examination. b) The Board determines that no disciplinary action has been taken against the applicant by a medical licensing authority and that the applicant has not been the subject of adverse judgments or settlements resulting from the practice of medicine which the board determines constitutes evidence of a pattern of negligence or incompetence. c) The applicant takes and passes an oral and comprehensive clinical examination with a minimum grade of 75%. California has definite reciprocity with applicants who took state examinations in Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, West Virginia (after 1985), Florida (after 1972), Tennessee (after 1986), Michigan (before 1992), Missouri (before 1992), and Kansas (before 1992). SPEX may be required.

FLORIDA
Graduation from an AOA accredited college
Postgraduate training: One year AOA-approved rotating first year. Any applicant who has not completed an AOA-approved internship must apply to the AOA for approval of first year of the ACGME residency for educational equivalence. If the AOA approves the ACGME residency's first year for educational equivalency and denies the demonstration of good cause for having taken the ACGME residency, the FL Board of Osteopathic Medicine shall review the applicant's demonstration of good cause.
Examinations accepted: COMLEX, NBOME, COMVEX, State Board Exam
Reciprocity or Endorsement: By endorsement, provided applicant has passed all parts of exam conducted by the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners or other substantially similar exam approved by the board. Interview may be required.

MICHIGAN
Four years in AOA-approved osteopathic college
Postgraduate training: One year AOA-approved rotating internship for those matriculating after 1 October 1956. Any applicant who has not completed an AOA-approved internship must apply to the AOA for approval of first year of the ACGME residency for educational equivalence. The AOA must submit a letter to the board verifying the program's approval.
Examinations accepted: COMLEX or NBOME for initial licensure; USMLE, FLEX and state examinations will be accepted for reciprocity so long as applicant has passed an osteopathic component (a qualified osteopathic component would be an OPP test or passing Part I of the NBOME). If this qualification is met, the osteopathic board will review the application on an individual basis (Michigan osteopathic board does not offer an OPP test).
Reciprocity or Endorsement: By endorsement with all states with substantially equivalent criteria

OKLAHOMA
Graduation from an osteopathic college that is accredited by the Bureau of Professional Education of the American Osteopathic Association.
Postgraduate training: Completion of a one-year AOA-approved rotating internship or its equivalent thereof, in an accredited internship or residency program acceptable to the Board.
Reciprocity or Endorsement: With states having equal requirements, at the discretion of the Board - interview may be required.

PENNSYLVANIA
Graduation from board approved osteopathic college meeting statutory criteria
Postgraduate training: One year AOA approved rotating internship
Examinations accepted: COMLEX, NBOME, FLEX (provided applicant holds a valid license in another state and meets all board requirements)
Other requirements: Examination in osteopathic manipulative therapy required for licensure, fee $195. Deadline date for application, 60 days prior to examination. Effective 3/29/06, DOs who have passed COMLEX-USA Level 2-PE, the Osteopathic Clinical Skills Examination, are now exempt from taking the state board's OMT examination.
Reciprocity or Endorsement: By endorsement with states having equal requirements, provided applicant has not previously failed a Pennsylvania written examination. All applications reviewed on an individual basis.

TENNESSEE
Graduation from recognized osteopathic college
Postgraduate training: One year AOA or ACGME training
Examinations accepted: COMLEX, NBOME for initial or reciprocal licensure - USMLE and FLEX accepted for reciprocity only
Reciprocity or Endorsement: On an individual basis with any other state

VERMONT
Four years professional study of nine months each, or a course of 36 months
Postgraduate training: One year rotating internship or a 3-year residency
Examinations accepted: COMLEX, NBOME, FLEX
Other requirements: OPP required if FLEX was taken - personal interview may be required
Reciprocity or Endorsement With other states whose requirements are substantially equivalent

WEST VIRGINIA
Four years of nine months each of professional study in college approved by AOA
Postgraduate training: One year in an AOA-approved internship
Other requirements: Interview
Reciprocity or Endorsement: With all states having equal requirements, including internship - interview required.

Thanks all for your insightful inputs.

why is it that people always misspell/mistake the test as being the "COMPLEX"

cuz it's a complex test?

COMplex?

P and L close to each other on the keyboard?

I got all excited for a second, and Darn. Of course California had to be on the list of states that require all 3 parts. =/

why is it that people always misspell/mistake the test as being the "COMPLEX"

cuz it's a complex test?

COMplex?

P and L close to each other on the keyboard?

I don't know but it annoys me everytime I see it. Among the Top 3 SDN pet peeves of mine...

One of my top 10 SDN pet peeves too

The mean on the COMLEX is 500 and on the USMLE is 216 right? What are the tests out of?

The mean on the COMLEX is 500 and on the USMLE is 216 right? What are the tests out of?

USMLE Step 1:

USMLE said:
On the 3-digit scale, most scores fall between 140 and 260. The mean score for first-time examinees from accredited medical schools in the United States is in the range of 200 to 220, and the standard deviation is approximately 20. Your score report includes the mean and standard deviation for recent administrations of the Step.

I think the USMLE Step 1 has 350 questions.

COMLEX Step 1:

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 said:
For all three levels of the COMLEX-USA, raw scores are converted to a percentile score and a score ranging from 5 to 800. For Levels 1 and 2, a score 400 is required to pass; for Level 3, a score of 350 is needed.

Spice, did you find any info on the mean of the tests?

Spice, did you find any info on the mean of the tests?

Here's some info from NBOME (COMLEX-USA):

Standard scores (3-digit). The mean 3-digit standard scores of all three written examinations are 500, regardless of when the examinations are given. The minimal passing 3-digit standard score for Level 1 and Level 2 (CE) is 400, for Level 3 is 350, regardless of when the examinations are taken.

Standard deviations of COMLEX written examination 3-digit scores are Level-specific and time-specific. For Level 1 examinations given between 1998 and 2001, the standard deviation is 71; from 2002 to October 2005, the standard deviation is 79; From May 2006 to present, the standard deviation is 79. For Level 2 written examinations given between 1997 and 2000, the standard deviation is 85; from 2001 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 73; from July 2005 to present, the standard deviation is 83. For Level 3 examinations given between 1995 and 1999, the standard deviation is 111; from 2000 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 120; from September 2005 to present, the standard deviation is 123.

Standard scores (2-digit). The minimal passing 2-digit standard scores for all three written examinations are 75, regardless of when the examinations are taken.

Standard deviations of COMLEX written examinations 2-digit scores are Level-specific and time-specific. For Level 1 examinations given between 1998 and 2001, the standard deviation is 3.55; from 2002 to October 2005, the standard deviation is 3.95. For Level 2 written examinations given between 1997 and 2000, the standard deviation is 4.25; from 2001 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 3.65. For Level 3 examinations given between 1995 and 1999, the standard deviation is 3.70; from 2000 to June 2005, the standard deviation is 4.00.

http://www.nbome.org/

Do you have to take the COMLEX? Yes

Do you have to take the USMLE? To get a license, no. Some schools (I think VCOM) still require it to graduate.

Could you only take the USMLE? Yes
What would be the ramifications? You would not be able to graduate from school or ever get a license to practice Osteopathic Medicine. The COMLEX is the ONLY path to a license for a DO in the US.

Not true anymore.

So what if someone takes the entire COMLEX series and the USMLE series. Are there any licensing implications, ie will this person be "dually" ACGME,AOA certified, or something along those lines?

So what if someone takes the entire COMLEX series and the USMLE series. Are there any licensing implications, ie will this person be "dually" ACGME,AOA certified, or something along those lines?

From my understanding your certification ACGME/AOA is based on the residency you complete not the boards. Could be wrong on this.

Yeah, you'd have to complete a dually accedited program to be dually BC/BE.