Complicated letter of recommendation advice

Started by deleted980872
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted980872

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My dad called me today when he found out that one of his friends, the CEO of a large health system, is on the board (not the admissions board, the board board) at the nearby medical school which I applied to and it is my top choice. He mentioned that he would be willing to write me a letter of recommendation specific to that school. I feel I definitely need to use this connection, but I have a couple of concerns:

-He doesn't really know me. I mean, I can send him my CV and talk with him on the phone, but do you think he will be able to write me a good letter without having developed a stronger connection with me and not just my dad?
-I plan to call the school tomorrow and ask about letters of recommendation sent directly to the school/how to handle that since all my letters submitted through AACOMAS just go to all of the schools, and if this one would be specifically for one school, I would only want it to go there. Also, I am not sure if a late letter of recommendation would be considered since my application has already been completed for a while?

I don't want to waste the opportunity to use a connection like this, but I know connections aren't necessarily everything when applying to medical school. If anyone can shed some light on a course of action here, that would be greatly appreciated.
 
I mean it can't hurt. I can't say that it would be all that helpful, but if you can add another LoR on without putting a burdern on yourself or the writer, you only stand to gain. In my mind at least. Of course, granted it is a strong LoR.
 
It will be as good as a letter from a doctor that you spent two hours shadowing and he writes a recommendation.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My dad called me today when he found out that one of his friends, the CEO of a large health system, is on the board (not the admissions board, the board board) at the nearby medical school which I applied to and it is my top choice. He mentioned that he would be willing to write me a letter of recommendation specific to that school. I feel I definitely need to use this connection, but I have a couple of concerns:

-He doesn't really know me. I mean, I can send him my CV and talk with him on the phone, but do you think he will be able to write me a good letter without having developed a stronger connection with me and not just my dad?
-I plan to call the school tomorrow and ask about letters of recommendation sent directly to the school/how to handle that since all my letters submitted through AACOMAS just go to all of the schools, and if this one would be specifically for one school, I would only want it to go there. Also, I am not sure if a late letter of recommendation would be considered since my application has already been completed for a while?

I don't want to waste the opportunity to use a connection like this, but I know connections aren't necessarily everything when applying to medical school. If anyone can shed some light on a course of action here, that would be greatly appreciated.
Use the letter.
 
When I am asked to write a LOR for a student I dont know, I usually ask to take them to lunch and get to know them a little. I also ask for a CV. I feel I can write a stronger letter if I spend some time with them. Maybe offer to meet with them in some way if they believe it might be helpful.