complication with class retake, same class but different number..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latieungao

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I made a D in Intro to Biol w/lab (BIOL 132) in freshman year. I am a rising senior, and want to retake that intro class this Fall. However, my school no longer offer this BIOL 132 class, instead, it offers BIOL 133: Intro to Bio (without lab).
I talked to my school about how the transcript going to look like, no answers yet.

IF they list as two different classes, do med schools calculate the gpa as 2 classes, even if they have the same name only different in code# and w/o lab?

Another question: grade/gpa-wise, are ecology weighted equally with biology? (after all it is a science class, at my school they call it "environmental bio")

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure this is not the first time that a school has changed course numbers. I don't see why it would be a problem.

There is really no reason other than personal satisfaction to retake Intro Bio, unless you are applying DO. Hopefully you showed in Bio 1 and 2 that you are capable and have mended your slacker ways. But I understand the personal desire to retake, I did the same thing with a Stats class I nearly failed 15 yrs ago. FYI, no one ever mentioned the first Stats class in any of 8 interviews. And the number change won't matter for AMCAS, maybe for DO, I'm not sure.