Composite MCATs Research and MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surg Path

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've had low MCAT scores, and wonder if schools will look at the best of two MCATs. My composite MCAT (from April and Aug 2004) is only 27. GPA is 3.5. August numbers were 8ps 8v 8bs and April was 6ps (ouch) 8v 11bs.

Am I crazy to apply or do I have some chance?

The good news, I've been succesful in research over the last year. I have a first author publication in Cancer Research (peer reviewed journal with ~9 impact factor), a few other publications, and have given platform presentations at major conferences (AACR). What safety schools might look at this more?

Also, is applying to MD/PhD crazy? They rank research high- but would my MCATs totally knock me out of the ranks?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Surg Path said:
I've had low MCAT scores, and wonder if schools will look at the best of two MCATs. My composite MCAT (from April and Aug 2004) is only 27. GPA is 3.5. August numbers were 8ps 8v 8bs and April was 6ps (ouch) 8v 11bs.

Am I crazy to apply or do I have some chance?

The good news, I've been succesful in research over the last year. I have a first author publication in Cancer Research (peer reviewed journal with ~9 impact factor), a few other publications, and have given platform presentations at major conferences (AACR). What safety schools might look at this more?

Also, is applying to MD/PhD crazy? They rank research high- but would my MCATs totally knock me out of the ranks?

Thanks
hey man, the thing about MD/PhD that is guiding me right now is what have I to lose. You enter the regular applicant pool if they don't like you, right? So go ahead. I am checkin the box everywhere. I'm 3.4 with a 35Q. I'm sure there are hundreds ahead of me in line...but we shall see...you should too.