Compression Fracture and Vertebral Augmentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PinchandBurn

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Usually I would only do Kyphos on patients with an acute/subacute MRI with edema on the fracture.

I recently saw a patient with a CHRONIC compression fracture. But it is very tender.

I did a literature search, apparently one can do kyphos on chronic appearing fractures. Do you all do it in practice? I didnt know that you could. Thoughts?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Majority of the time I do MBB on these pts and I end up ablating them. It isn't a slam dunk, but it works pretty consistently in my experience.

I've in the past had those pts that failed MBB/RFA and even considered SCS but I can't figure out what I'd be stimulating in that situation. No, I never actually tried to get it covered insurance and actually do it.
 
We did it once in fellowship. I won’t do it again. Healed bone was so incredibly hard we couldn’t insufflate balloon with over 350psi.