Tra La La

Motorcycle Dude
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
577
0
Caleefornia
Status
Hi all.

I know that this probably belongs in the MCAT section, but here is an e-mail from my campus advisor:

The AAMC has officially announced their plan to convert the MCAT to exclusively computer-based testing (CBT) in early 2007. At that time, they expect to cut the test length by one third, return scores in a month (or less), offer 20 days of testing each year, and have geographic coverage of test sites similar to what is available now. They hope to do this without a substantial increase in MCAT fees.

Seems logical to do multiple offerings of the test rather than only a couple.
 

futuredoc10

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2004
135
4
Status
Attending Physician
Tra La La said:
Hi all.

I know that this probably belongs in the MCAT section, but here is an e-mail from my campus advisor:

The AAMC has officially announced their plan to convert the MCAT to exclusively computer-based testing (CBT) in early 2007. At that time, they expect to cut the test length by one third, return scores in a month (or less), offer 20 days of testing each year, and have geographic coverage of test sites similar to what is available now. They hope to do this without a substantial increase in MCAT fees.

Seems logical to do multiple offerings of the test rather than only a couple.
Wow, that would make retaking alot easier.
 

gbiz

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
370
0
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
but that all but kills the "will my august mcat kill my chances" threads! :(
 

Sparky Man

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
445
0
Status
Medical Student
gbiz said:
but that all but kills the "will my august mcat kill my chances" threads! :(
Good! :)

Although test procrastination with ~20 test dates is certain to become even more complicated!
 

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2005
35
0
40
South Florida
Status
It'll make the writing sample a hell of alot easier. And probably cut off two to three hours of the test day. I wish I coul have done it on computer.
 

aumed22

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
199
1
Status
There's no way I'd want to take the MCAT on the computer. Having a piece of paper and a pencil in front of me helped so much. Can you imagine having to do verbal on the computer, trying to scan up and down the screen and then down to the questions. But, then again, I guess they do it for the DAT somehow.
 

eralza

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
355
3
51
Virginia
Status
Medical Student
I took the computer MCAT last year in Frankfurt...and really enjoyed it! Okay, so that last bit was a stretch, but overall, I think it was better than the paper version. After working with computers for so many years, it just seemed more natural. The writing section was great in that you could cut, copy, paste, and do some serious editing.
 

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
1,563
5
37
Visit site
Status
eralza said:
I took the computer MCAT last year in Frankfurt...and really enjoyed it! Okay, so that last bit was a stretch, but overall, I think it was better than the paper version. After working with computers for so many years, it just seemed more natural. The writing section was great in that you could cut, copy, paste, and do some serious editing.
did u think the verbal section was a lot tougher?
 

eralza

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2004
355
3
51
Virginia
Status
Medical Student
virilep said:
did u think the verbal section was a lot tougher?
I don't think so. All of my mock exams were done on the computer, so it wasn't much different. However, verbal was by far my strongest section (11,8,8). I found that by reading slowly and methodically, I didn't need to go back and forth between passage and question very often. Besides, because of my multiple personalities, I was lucky enough to have a pretty good understanding of almost half the passages.